Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
"I doubt that calibration is an issue here - the filter is on the intake side of the motor, as is the external, user replaceable filter. Flow and pressure sensors are on the outlet side of the motor and these determine treatment behavior. One would expect the airflow resistance of the external filter to change over time as it accumulates dust, etc or is replaced, so the machine would deal with this already."

Sorry I SAID I believe that is the output side of the fan based on how these fans are made, the larger fan blades are on the OTHER SIDE and the small output part of the fan is the smaller side where the foam filter is...so I can think it is part of the air supply to the system and then the patent.

ALSO CONSIDER what you said: "One would expect the airflow resistance of the external filter to change over time as it accumulates dust, etc or is replaced, so the machine would deal with this already."

The two techs I spoke with have NEVER opened this fan housing. Both of them were unaware of this foam filter, so replacing it ONLY happens when they replace the whole fan assembly...

The replacing this foam filter is not a part of normal service.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
"the two techs I spoke with..."

Well, this is what's called anecdote. it's not definitive. Two techs...who now?

"The replacing this foam filter is not a part of normal service." Well, this is an inference derived from a phone conversation with two anonymous techs somewhere.

Racprops, you have a tendency to draw large, universal and definitive conclusions from scant or dubious information.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2021, 10:18 PM)hegel Wrote: "the two techs I spoke with..."

Well, this is what's called anecdote. it's not definitive. Two techs...who now?

"The replacing this foam filter is not a part of normal service." Well, this is an inference derived from a phone conversation with two anonymous techs somewhere.

Racprops, you have a tendency to draw large, universal and definitive conclusions from scant or dubious information.

So how many witness do you NEED?? I talked to two CPAP repair service men.

Not a salesman, not a buddy, not some odd person I just called up.

I called two CPAP repair shops and asked if there was any foam in Resmed systems and both said no. Who else should I ask??

Then I was shown to the utube video right here and watched it in horror to see foam inside the fan housing.

I then called the tech whom has done service on my machine and told him of this finding and he said let me open it up and look him self.

Again I talked with a man whose job day in and day out is repairing these machines, again who else do I need to ask to make you happy??

And he said two things, OMG there IS foam in side this thing and I never seen that because we just replace the whole fan with its housing complete as that is what is send when we order a new fan.

So how about you watch the video and then call your repair shop tech and ask him to open the housing for you and tell you if there is foam inside. Or is your own known tech no good for you??

As for my "a tendency to draw large, universal and definitive conclusions from scant or dubious information." 

Well I started repairing cars at 16 in 1965, and then was trained in A/C and heating repair and got my journeyman card in 1970, worked two summers and no winters then was trained in TV repair and service and repair TVs up until 1978, then I became a TV and Movie Prop maker and I still am.

I have been troubleshooting everything around me all my life. I now service my own cars with Fuel injection etc.

The ONLY THING I cannot repair is a automatic transmission, everything else I can and do.

SO I have been fixing and service things for 56 years. When a tech tells me has has never seen the inside of a Resmed fan that clearly means the replacement of the filter is NOT in any manual.

I think my 56 years of servicing and repairing all kinds of stuff should mean I have a good understanding of servicing stuff.

Good enough for you.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Just for reference, I'm not sure how much info related to this it contains, but we do have the full DreamStation Technical and Reference Manual PDF available by following the link in this post, then scrolling down to where the newer PR repair/service manuals are located:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...Only-FILES

You'll need to be logged into your Apnea Board forum account to access the above link.

FYI:   Please don't post the direct link to the manual on the forums.  Instead, you may post the above link freely.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Also, just a reminder --  members may discuss opinions or thoughts here freely.  But they cannot use their forum account to personally attack another forum member:

Our forum rules state:

Quote:Ad hominem attacks against forum members are prohibited. (Definition: Ad hominem

Likewise, it's not wise to push people's buttons so that they will feel emboldened to personally attack you either.

So, just remember to play nice in the sandbox.

EXAMPLE OF DISALLOWED POSTING:
Quote:"Only an idiot would post that you need to clean a CPAP 3 times a day!"

EXAMPLE OF ALLOWABLE POSTING:
Quote:"I disagree with your position that cleaning is needed 3 times a day".

If you use a bit of thought and creativity, you can get your point across in a tactful and convincing manner without resorting to personal insults.

Thanks
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Philips has so far set aside about $170 (U.S.) per recalled machine for the roughly 3.5M recalled device owners in the U.S.  Their costs are going to get significantly higher to include:

(1) a class-action lawsuit for present and previous recalled device users who were diagnosed with illnesses in the years following their first use of their recalled Philips machine.  This may likely include the creation of a fund settlement for recalled device users not yet diagnosed with a new illness, who may later develop one.

(2) a class-action lawsuit for users who followed Philips' advice and immediately halted their use of the recalled device and were required to immediately purchase an alternative machine, as Philips did not provide an immediate replacement

(3) a class-action lawsuit for Philips stock holders against Koninklijke Philips NV regarding potential (perceived) insider trading by its executives in the days prior to the formal announcement of the Philips Recall on June 14, 2021

Philips may be surprised by the number of recalled PAP machines that are still considered active by its owners.  Philips may not realize that many PAP users hold on to their previous machines as a backup device, or for travel, etc.  Those users will expect to be compensated for those devices as they are neither obsolete (to the user) nor designated as safe for use now.

Quote:What If You Suspect Philips CPAP Foam Degradation Caused Your Cancer?

A recall like this can cause patients to feel a great deal of anxiety. What if you have used these recalled devices, possibly every night over the course of years?

It’s hard to say right now just how common it may be for this potential health risk identified through testing to turn into a definitive cancer diagnosis in real patients. This is a cause for concern, certainly, but please don’t panic.

What you can and should do is discuss the Philips CPAP foam degradation recall with your doctor. Speaking to a physician is particularly important in any of the following instances:

(-) You have noticed erosion or degradation of the foam components of your machine

(-) You have unexplained health conditions that you think might have to do with the recalled machine

(-) Getting screened for the kinds of cancer most likely to arise from exposure to these particles and gases would ease your mind after learning about the recall

If you have been diagnosed with cancer already and you wonder if your CPAP machine is to blame—particularly if you don’t have known risk factors for the type of cancer you developed—you should speak to your doctor about the concerns. Additionally, you should consider reaching out to a lawyer.
Post Reply Post Reply
What a mess. I had been inactive on this forum for a good long time since my treatment had been going so well. Now here I come back just to see if any new firmware or what not for my unit and I see this. This is first I hear about this recall. What a kicker I’m on 2 diffrent recall email lists run by the government and guess what not a peep on either list. Guess I’ll be making some phone calls Monday morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2021, 06:06 AM)Robert121571 Wrote: What a mess. I had been inactive on this forum for a good long time since my treatment had been going so well. Now here I come back just to see if any new firmware or what not for my unit and I see this. This is first I hear about this recall. What a kicker I’m on 2 different recall email lists run by the government and guess what not a peep on either list. Guess I’ll be making some phone calls Monday morning.

I discovered the Philips Recall the same way as you did - through ApneaBoard.  That certainly changed my day, week, month; but hopefully not my whole year.  Philips has known about this issue for quite a while.  

Philips' very slow approach to a solution for a category of product that is deemed medically necessary, or even life-saving, for many people is inappropriate to most end-users - especially since they've instructed Philips' recalled system users to immediately halt using their devices and acquire another machine, while not yet offering a fix themselves.  Philips' approach that its main customer of importance are the Philips DMEs and Philips stock holders.  

If you haven't already done so, please consider adding a comment and a vote at:

PHILIPS SYSTEMS RECALL - Future Purchases [POLL] | Apnea Board
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2021, 01:15 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: What about the cleaning systems that recommend use of dihydrogenmonoxide.  This chemical has killed millions over the years.  It is believed, in some circles, that dihydrogenmonoxide is responsible for the near extinction of the human species at one point ...

Good one!  Right back to Noah's arc.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
haha, you got me! live and learn. once again I've proven I'm more than a little thick. just like Cathyf's 'little house', I didn't catch the meaning of 'dihydrogenmonoxide' (and the implied reference to noahs ark: good one!), both jokes going completely over my head. glad to hear the latter was all in fun, even if it looks to me like the intent was to 'push buttons' and the funniest part about it is my gullibility. an emoji or a 'haha' or 'jk' would help folks like me understand when it's meant as a joke. and while learning it was a joke tempers my criticism a bit, I stand by my point about 'whataboutism'.

note to self: look for the joke before taking the bait.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,816 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,059 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,603 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,031 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 955 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,198 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.