Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
(06-23-2021, 03:42 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: WakeUpTime, I'd suggest you start a new thread about the encryption info, rather than mix it all up in this recall thread.

That made me smile, as I have almost no interest in the subject, and had been advising others to open up a new thread on that subject for awhile.  I only made my recent post to satisfy any curious parties on the subject.  

I can certainly start a new thread on that subject, on behalf of others, but I wouldn't do a good job setting it up or monitoring it, as I have almost no interest on the subject of Philips new "data encryption" (besides avoiding it) or on the subject of Philips' cloud-based applications (besides avoiding them).

Hopefully those that have greater understanding and interest on those subjects will instead start a new thread on those subjects.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2021, 04:01 PM)cathyf Wrote: Another question -- does anybody know how the worldwide chip shortage is going to affect the ability of any and all manufacturers to produce more machines than anyone was planning on needing?

https://www.massdevice.com/philips-cpap-...lysts-say/ :

The Baird report claimed that ResMed sales could grow by $100 million to $300 million, should approximately 10% to 20% of the affected Philips respiratory care machines move to ResMed. Analysts noted that one durable medical equipment provider that was historically a Philips shop, “placed a big ResMed order.”

Doctors told the analysts that the “degree of difficulty in meaningfully capitalizing on this disruption seems more like a three-point jump shot, potentially with a hand in face, than a layup.” A lot remains to be seen as far as ResMed’s ability to scale manufacturing to meet potential demand, should users of Philips devices look for alternatives.
Post Reply Post Reply
Excuse me, but all this has scared the %#$@*&^ out of me.

I was able to see my sleep doc yesterday on an emergency basis level and I was in a panic, and he knew I was totally flabbergasted.

When he looked at my data and saw the 9200 hrs. on my DreamStation bipap, I asked for a new machine, and he immediately ordered one - Resmed Autoset Bipap.

Then I told him I needed a chest X-ray to see if I had damaged my lungs. He ordered that, and I had it done in 30 min down the street at the hospital.

I got the results today - apparently my lungs are o.k. and nothing showed up (a lot of doctoreze words, but I showed none of them)
That was the first X-ray I've had in 40 years, so I guess it won't hurt me.

What next? I already suffered through 3 family members catching virus. One SIL was in ER for a few days and almost died (had to start his heart 2 or 3 times)

I pray to God that the next few months will be better than the last 15 have been. I'm trying to hang in there (I'll be 83 in 2 months)
PAP Mode: VPAP-S
EPAP 8.4 IPAP 10.6 
ave AHI = .5 (so far)
Post Reply Post Reply
Money 
So ResMed systems will be selling as quickly as they can produce them.  Eventually over many months (or years), Philips will have modified/replaced all the faulty systems out there, and will be able to claim that they still have a near-50% market share even though many of those older modified/replaced systems may be sitting on a shelf unused, or kept as a backup system - because current users needed to act immediately to obtain a replacement, as per the Philips Recall directive.

At the moment though, it's certainly not going well for Philips recalled systems users, Philips DMEs, sleep labs, hospitals, etc., that are/were using Philips recalled systems.  Philips must be analyzing in detail the recalled registration database to gain insight on the quantity and variety of Philips recalled systems.  They're going to need a lot of various new foam components.

Will Philips ever ask themselves:

"Why are we modifying/replacing these older systems in the future, 
after we've already told users to 
immediately get new replacement systems?"

The answer could be quite simple.  Philips may have strategized that their inability to provide an immediate solution likely would cause them to lose almost all its current PAP systems user base permanently - except those with a DreamStation 2.  Recalled system users had to buy something, and it likely wasn't a new DreamStation 2.  Therefore, Philips would only desire to provide past end-users with the least costly solution for Philips.  They'll then have their real customers (the DMEs) focus on attracting NEW end-users (and those with DreamStation 2s).

Therefore, Philips has little motivation to provide the fix/replacement any faster.  This process could take a very long time to resolve, in which case those receiving their "fix" eventually will not see it as a resolution for their financial costs, anxiety and quiet possibly, they future illnesses.
Post Reply Post Reply
More from the FDA:

Are CPAP Machines FDA approved?

To date, the [b]FDA has not approved or cleared any machine to clean a CPAP. This means the FDA has not made a judgment regarding the safety or effectiveness of these machines for this use.
[/b]

Are CPAP Cleaning Machines approved?

These machines are not legally marketed for this use by the FDA in the United States. Machines are not necessary to clean your CPAP. Most CPAPs can be cleaned with mild soap and water as described in the owner’s manual for your machine. Some manufacturers recommend using diluted vinegar. 
Post Reply Post Reply
"Therefore, Philips has little motivation to provide the fix/replacement any faster.  This process could take a very long time to resolve, in which case those receiving their "fix" eventually will not see it as a resolution for their financial costs, anxiety and quiet possibly, they future illnesses. "

I figure on that, other wise they would have run off a few million brand new housings and been ready to pony them up AS this news broke.  

There is a dirt simple fix, new housing with NO foam. Like this:

[attachment=33154]

Or one with claimed no spoil form...Personally I think the no foam would be a better idea, but this no spoil foam would make it seem more like a needed thing and less like colossal mess up.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Anyone wonder which Main Board Normal Thread historically received the most "Views" on ApneaBoard?

Answer:  "The Dangers of Using a CPAP Machine" with more than 200,000 views.

Now, Philips has introduced a new, and this time real, danger in using a CPAP machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a discussion with my sleep Dr yesterday. Turns out he in same boat as I am. He is also a CPAP user. Sadly after we talked about what going on he basically said it up to me if I want to take the risk of continuing. I could understand why he didn’t want to say either way. As for if I want to use one of them inline filters. Him and others are talking about that trying to figure out if the auto CPAP will even function correctly with them in line. He would happily write me a new script for a different machine but he knows I can’t afford it till Medicare will cover me again and that not for another two years.

After we were done with my official appointment. We started talking about the foam and how it can get into the air way. Turned out he was thinking the way I thought being it was marked as sound abatement till I saw the photos. Was thinking it was foam just in the case isolating the motor. When I described where the foam actually was from the photos I had captured from a video. I swear his head exploded. He was in literal shock of why any company would have the foam inside the part the air is going threw. What the point that is basically making it like a filter instead of for sound and we already have a filter on the intake.
Post Reply Post Reply
" We started talking about the foam and how it can get into the air way. Turned out he was thinking the way I thought being it was marked as sound abatement till I saw the photos. Was thinking it was foam just in the case isolating the motor. When I described where the foam actually was from the photos I had captured from a video. I swear his head exploded. He was in literal shock of why any company would have the foam inside the part the air is going threw."

I have already done it. I have included pictures and instructions. I do give warning it will void any warranty.

Look in this thread starting at post 29...

My ASV works great. I just lowered my settings from 12/18 to 10/16.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
In part of the recall they mention unauthorized use of ozone cleaning devices. I wonder what percentage of their devices that are failing have used the ozone generators?

It was never a good idea and predictable. This should at least put the ozone machines out of business.

I see the lawyer's infomercials spinning up any time now!
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,846 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,073 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,619 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,063 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,213 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.