Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
(06-29-2021, 11:31 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Hi Kuutar!  Welcome

With the gloom and doom warning issued, it is very easy for your mind to run in this direction.  As new as your DreamStation is, I feel pretty confident that the foam hasn't had time to degrade to a point of concern.   The symptoms that you describe are common to new CPAP users.  The increased air flow can dry your airway.  This can cause your body to respond with coughing and the creation of mucus.  The increased pressure can cause temporary discomfort when breathing.  

Finally, Resmed offers 4 models within the AirSense series.  They are the CPAP, Elite, Autoset, and Autoset for Her.  Make sure one of the last two is specified by your doctor.  

- Red

Very timely info for me...my Doc is sending the request tomorrow so I'll get him to put down ResMed Autoset!
Post Reply Post Reply
You can't lose with the AutoSet. Make a post in your therapy thread and we'll help with setup. Most will be copy and paste of your current setup.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2021, 08:39 PM)EngineerBoo Wrote: Very timely info for me...my Doc is sending the request tomorrow so I'll get him to put down ResMed Autoset!

ResMed makes really great products, but they are a little *um* eccentric in how they explain them sometimes.

The Autoset ForHer has every single feature of the Autoset, PLUS it has an extra therapy algorithm. ResMed calls it the "ForHer" algorithm, but there are lots of women who find that the regular ResMed algorithm works better for them, and lots of men who find that the "ForHer" algorithm works better for them.

The other difference is that the Autoset case is black, while the Autoset ForHer is white with grey leaves on it.

And the two machines cost exactly the same amount.

If you don't use the ForHer setting, every other setting works exactly the same. If you buy a "ForHer" and try out both algorithms and decide the regular algorithm is right for you, then you haven't lost anything. If you buy the regular Autoset you don't have the opportunity to try the other algorithm.

Of course since PR shat on all of us, machines of all kinds are going to be as hard to find as toilet paper in April 2020, so my recommendation would be that you have your doc write the scrip for "either the Autoset or Autoset ForHer, whichever is available most quickly."

(As an engineer you are saying ?!? ResMed has a machine that does all of these features, and then they produce another machine where they shut off that one single choice, and both versions sell for the same amount? Yep, crazy! They had to do separate QA rounds, manage the manufacturing of the machines with different cases and a different code image, manage a more complicated supply chain -- all of which cost money -- and then the machine that is less valuable costs them extra to produce and sells for the same amount of money so they don't get paid for the extra costs. In other words, once ResMed has the Autoset ForHer engineered, it costs ResMed more to produce and sell the Autoset, the Autoset is less valuable, and they don't make any extra revenue.

There are a lot of idiots in sleep medicine, but I think ResMed has the idiot savants!)
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2021, 04:32 PM)mrlumpy Wrote: Did anyone receive an email or any other confirmation via outreach from Philips after registering their device on the recall website? I received a pop-up window with a confirmation number, but that's all -  no email confirmation. Just making sure I didn't mess something up.

No response whatsoever from Philips, following a simple confirmation number.

I'm absolutely shocked that a company can instruct users to immediately halt use of their medical product, not allow users to return the product, not give users a timetable for a fix, etc.  And this is an acceptable response throughout the world for a medical device that is deemed necessary to work, drive, etc., for many individuals.  Philips only other advice is to go buy another device, again.

Why aren't various government consumer protection, health, and other agencies jumping all over this?  We've been sold a product that is now deemed to be defective - either slowly or rapidly as a result of using an ozone cleaner - without any immediate fix for a medically necessary device.
Post Reply Post Reply
About 5 days after receiving the "confirmation number", I saw my sleep pulmonologist/sleep doctor and they had word for me from the DME that I would receive my DS2 in September. Priority is being given to those that use So Clean, which I do not. Of course, talk is cheap. I use an ASV -- is the DS2 an ASV?

PS - I switched from PR System One ASV to Resmed 7 months ago. The PR is a 'paid for backup'.
Post Reply Post Reply
The DS2 is an Auto Cpap, not an ASV.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2021, 11:31 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Finally, Resmed offers 4 models within the AirSense series.  They are the CPAP, Elite, Autoset, and Autoset for Her.  Make sure one of the last two is specified by your doctor.  

Thank you for the information, much appreciated. After "advocating" for myself I finally got a reply from the DME. They replied that they will not have a Resmed until the end of July and would I prefer to get a prescription sent to me. I asked for the prescription and am looking at other suppliers.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2021, 06:35 AM)Rich66 Wrote: I use an ASV -- is the DS2 an ASV?

Not currently. Maybe this means they’re planning on a DS2 ASV by then?

That would be somewhat surprisingly for new hardware, but maybe part of the redesign was unifying the hardware across all models to simplify regulatory approval?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2021, 08:37 AM)WakeUpTime Quote Wrote: This may explain why two key Philips division executives recently left (or were removed) from their top positions.  Philips CEO (Frans van Houten) announced 2 months ago that the leaders of those key divisions were "stepping down" - the Strategic Business Development Leader and formerly in charge of our Diagnosis & Treatment (Rob Cascella), and the  Chief Innovation Strategy Officer (Jeroen Tas).

Earlier this year, at the 2021 World Economic Forum ("The Davos Agenda 2021"), the Philips CEO told world leaders, economic ministers and billionaire investors:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:"Looking forward, the need for greater resilience and flexibility in healthcare systems, 
Quote:the need to move care to lower cost community and home-based settings..."
That was a great post, I am surprised you did not receive more feedback. This had to be open-source material, just curious where you found it.

It was obvious that there would be some sacrifices made to those affected. The two senior officials you mentioned, I am sure had to sign a full folder of legal, non-disclosure documents. With the knowledge that they would be well taken care of if they kept a low profile and spoke to no one.   
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2021, 08:37 AM)sawinglogz Wrote: Not currently. Maybe this means they’re planning on a DS2 ASV by then?

That would be somewhat surprisingly for new hardware, but maybe part of the redesign was unifying the hardware across all models to simplify regulatory approval?

The way covid went down is that the Chinese thought ventilators were the right tool to deal with severe covid, and their colonies in Italy and Iran got the virus spread to them first, so the first thing that happened in the early scrambling days is that first China, Italy and Iran and then the rest of the world instantly ran out of ventilators. Then within a couple of months American doctors realized that ventilators were like nuclear weapons sowing utter destruction, and that cpaps (specifically bipaps) were a much better tool. Which then caused a shortage of bipaps and ASVs.

Some enterprising hackers figured out that -- at least for the ResMed machines -- all of the hardware necessary to run all the way up through the most sophisticated ASV is all there in every ResMed Airsense10 -- even in the single pressure CPAP.

From an engineering perspective, the least costly way to produce these machines is to have identical hardware. If there is some piece of the hardware that the ASV needs that the CPAP doesn't, but that piece of hardware costs four cents, then it would be insane to spend $20 million retooling your assembly line to leave out a 4-cent part. The hackers proving that the ASV software would run on a CPAP is strong evidence that if there is anything hardware-wise that the ASV needs special, then it is cheap enough that it doesn't make sense to leave it out on the non-ASV machines.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,824 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,062 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,612 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,048 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 957 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,200 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.