Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
(06-30-2021, 03:38 PM)DaveL Wrote: mrlumpy business plans may be different than ours.

Lawyers write the recall letter. But others in the company have to pay and control the costs. They have to control the costs, and live with the budget.

True, but having a web-based registration process that doesn't even kick off a confirmation email (a BARE MINIMUM) is really, really poor execution. If you didn't think to print out that confirmation number that popped up post-registration, it's now lost to the ether. I'm not even talking about replacement units here - I'm talking about customer service 101.
Post Reply Post Reply
Remember -- the DME is PR's "customer" -- not the end user.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2021, 04:01 PM)Rich66 Wrote: Remember -- the DME is PR's "customer" -- not the end user.

Philips no doubt is attempting to use authorized DMEs as a buffer cushion, and will likely continually remind end-users to contact their local DME.  Tell them the DME said to contact Philips, as the DMEs haven't been given anything more than end-users at this time.  That's why it's so very important to establish an aggressive response between end-users and the manufacturer of the defective product.  Lawyers (and possibly government agencies) will help accomplish that.

Also, because Philips doesn't regard end-users as "their" customers, doesn't mean recalled systems owners can't continually flood various departments within Philips Corporation with calls and e-mail messages.  Their responses will also provide proof that you tried to get answers from the company.

Companies have the right to ignore product issues, and the right to provide bad customer service.  They just need to be reminded of the consequences in providing extremely poor levels of service.  We could also send e-mails to state and federal health agencies, consumer agencies, etc.  Use the same e-mail, just keep forwarding the complaint to various agencies.

Philips lack of any responsive action is absolutely acceptable.  Let's get the contacts, that Philips really does care about, contacting Philips about their calls that they're getting.  That should help too.  

Who does Philips care about?  Regulators, product distributors, investors and stock owners, medical center administrators, sleep labs, etc.  Customers need to remind those people how Philips' extremely poor response is affecting the medical and financial health of 3-4 million users.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi guys,
I have a dreamstar cpap machine and I’ve been told by Phillips to stop using my machine over a number of months I have been getting more and more out of breath so much so that I have to catch my breath when I go upstairs to bed before I even think about putting my mask on I have got problems with my eyes every morning I have to clean around my eyes to get rid of muck on my eyelashes and the corners of my eyes when I’m tired it feels like my right eyes hurts and it feels like it’s swollen now I’m having to chase around to see if my consultant can do anything for but even my doctor as told me he’s unable to help so hopefully my consultant will get something but I don’t relish the thoughts of how I’m going to cope in the meantime without as I’m already going backwards and getting tired and falling asleep during the day and afternoon when I have eaten anything so who knows how long it’s going to take for Phillips send out a replacement or repair it
Post Reply Post Reply
I was just on the phone with a friend of mine who is an executive for a big corporation.  His advice, given his job position, really surprised me:

"Why aren't you on the phone with Philips right now demanding a replacement machine?!  

Don't stop calling them until they give you a non-defective replacement!"

Another law firm's response regarding the developing class action lawsuit:

Quote:Thank you for your inquiry regarding a potential Philips CPAP Machine claim. We need to gather additional information from you in order to evaluate whether or not you may have a viable claim. Accordingly, we request that you contact our office at your earliest opportunity. We can be reached toll-free at 1-800-xxx-xxxx.

The criteria is as follows:

Used a recalled Philips/Respironics CPAP or BiPAP machine;

AND Suffered one or more of the following respiratory ailments:

Airway irritation or inflammation
• Breathing difficulty
• Lung damage
New or worsening asthma
• Pneumonia
• Lung cancer (only if never smoked, rarely smoked, or quit smoking more than 10 years prior to diagnosis)

Thank you for considering our firm. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
DreamStation 2 Foam 

In an earlier post, there was a link to a YouTube video that discusses most of the known effects of the foam currently being used that we have discussed many times before. At the end of the video, we are shown the foam in the new machine. Here is that link; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFxtA3y1ucQ 

After watching the video 3 times I can only say that I am skeptical and need additional verification, concerning the new foam to fully believe what I viewed.

These are my reasons:
 The new foam is white, porous, and easily crumbles
 It looks more like packing material that you would get in boxes holding something you ordered. The stuff you carefully try to keep in the box but still wind up having to vacuum up all the little pieces.
 It would hard to imagine this product could act as a noise suppressant, it is way too porous.

And my final concern about this video is that you would think that if you go through all the hassle of purchasing a new box, taking it apart, removing the foam, you would not have it analyzed to determine its name and get a complete definition of the product. What is it already being used for, is it harmful, etc?

My thoughts after a long day.   

Post Reply Post Reply
The person showing us the new foam is a long-time Sleep machine reviewer, and a person ResMed tried to shut down.

He does seem to well informed and connected as he is reviewing the new machines.

Check them out.

Here are some of his reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdtAVk2R_FY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFAF_946CG8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH_YaSS-eAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pfZWBan3ho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqlE-cwe-uM

This one is about planned failure and the right to repair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6-o18i5Rpc
Post Reply Post Reply
I used a pipe cleaner to probe inside the air intakes hole (with the filter removed) until I could feel the foam resistance. It came out clean. I think that means the foam at the intake end is still good. I repeated it with a bendable straw, it was also clean. 
Bruce
Bruce
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2021, 05:53 PM)btreger Wrote: DreamStation 2 Foam 

In an earlier post, there was a link to a YouTube video that discusses most of the known effects of the foam currently being used that we have discussed many times before. At the end of the video, we are shown the foam in the new machine. Here is that link; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFxtA3y1ucQ 

After watching the video 3 times I can only say that I am skeptical and need additional verification, concerning the new foam to fully believe what I viewed.

These are my reasons:
 The new foam is white, porous, and easily crumbles
 It looks more like packing material that you would get in boxes holding something you ordered. The stuff you carefully try to keep in the box but still wind up having to vacuum up all the little pieces.
 It would hard to imagine this product could act as a noise suppressant, it is way too porous.

And my final concern about this video is that you would think that if you go through all the hassle of purchasing a new box, taking it apart, removing the foam, you would not have it analyzed to determine its name and get a complete definition of the product. What is it already being used for, is it harmful, etc?

My thoughts after a long day.   

Huh

One thing to clear up, as it seems to be a point of confusion: the "sound abatement" foam works *because* it is porous and soft. It's not acting as a shock absorber or noise isolation for moving parts. Its purpose is to interact with the flow of air through the machine, dampen resonances, and prevent noises *from the flow of air itself.* If you removed it entirely, depending on your machine settings, flow rate, etc., you might not notice any difference; or, you might just happen to operate with conditions that start making more flow noise.

I'm not sure where your skepticism is coming from. The foam doesn't need to be strong, and the stuff in the video above is clearly not "packing foam" like Styrofoam (expanded polystyrene). The problems with the existing foam are because it *decomposes* into a crumbly, oily mess. And also, it offgasses harmful substances.

The new foam is visibly different than the old stuff because it's made of a different material. If I had to guess, I suspect it may be a type of silicone foam, but don't quote me on that because it's just a guess based on appearance, and a material that would already be in use within the device.
Post Reply Post Reply
Would be nice if the foam could be removed without having to cut the plastic housing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,855 03-27-2024, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,084 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,269 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,622 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,074 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 969 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,219 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.