Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
(07-05-2021, 07:20 PM)qwerty42 Wrote:
  1. ...
  2. Any cutouts made to remove the foam upstream of the differential sensor (the pair of side-by-side ports where sensor #2 connects) must be sealed back up, airtight, for the sensor to measure mass air flow correctly. Unless they are on the inner wall where the blower sits, any cutouts downstream of this sensor MUST also be sealed. I'd strongly recommend sealing any cutouts, regardless of where they are placed. 

Sorry, a minor correction. See above in red. I was still thinking only in terms of cutouts on the inside wall. Just to avoid any confusion, my advice is: any cutouts made to remove the foam need to be sealed again.

Really wish we could edit posts past the 90 minute mark here! Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
Regarding:

Quote:A class action lawsuit has been filed in Massachusetts against Dutch medical equipment company Philips to protect consumers harmed by Philips recalled sleep apnea machines, including CPAP and BiPAP machines, and ventilators, which may increase users’ risk of cancer and cause other injuries.

This component of the lawsuit asserts that Philips did indeed act negligently in its delay to inform affected device users:

Quote:The complaint alleges that Philips knew about these substantial and material risks from its CPAP machines long before the recall.

The complaint also alleges that patients who used the affected devices have complained to Philips about black particles in their machines for many years, but Philips did not warn the public about the hazards until late April and did not recall its machines until June 14.

[*The 22-page case .pdf has some very insightful sections; at Berger Montague (Our Cases - Keyword search: "Philips")]

The incidents of currently known medical harm, a fund for possible future (now unknown) medical harm, economic hardship by those needing immediate replacements, and damages awarded as a result of Philips' delayed response will all serve to go significantly past Philips estimated recall costs of $170 per machine (or EURO 500 Million).  Total cumulative costs may not be known for several years.
Post Reply Post Reply
Folks, as has been posted prior in this thread, please don't use the "Reply with Quote" button unless it's absolutely necessary.
Members are getting tired of reading the same post over and over again, when people post.  Remember-- they've already read the post you're quoting... so if you must quote a post, make sure you edit out the majority of the text and only quote the relevant section that makes it clear which post you're replying to.

For more info, please read this post:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-T-HAVE-TO

Thanks
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2021, 10:36 PM)cathyf Wrote: qwerty42 -- having done this teardown, how do you think they got the foam in there? If you were going to engineer a process to remove the foam and replace it with a different material, how would you do it?

I wonder if you could use the tools of laproscopic surgery to get the old foam out and new foam in by going through the air intake/outlets?

Hi there, I actually did try a few things to see if it was feasible to remove it without making any cuts. On the first chunk that sits near the intake filter, it'd be possible, but for the time and care it takes, it wouldn't be cost-effective on a large scale. For the second chunk that sits closer to the blower motor, I don't think there's any realistic way to get it out without cutting into the tank, or dissolving it out with some kind of solvent (which opens an even bigger can of worms).

The way the foam is installed initially is actually very simple. The clear plastic tank is made of two pieces. The foam is dropped into one side, and the other piece is capped on top and glued together. Not sure what kind of glue it is, but it's very clear and hard. Feels like an epoxy, or maybe some kind of UV-curing glue. Once the tank is glued together, the foam is captive.

If I were going to come up with a way to easily remove the foam from all of these units on a large scale, I would simply drill two holes into the top of the tank where the foam can be pulled straight out, and use a medical grade silicone grommet that could be popped into the hole to seal it back up. This only works if the foam is still in good condition, though. Since this is on the intake, pressures here are low, and it doesn't take much to seal it sufficiently.

Honestly I wouldn't even bother replacing the foam with anything if I could prove that it didn't make a meaningful difference to the flow measurement calibration. I removed the foam from mine today, and the sound is barely different than before. It's not really even louder, it just has a different peak frequency than it used to. In simplest terms, previously, it was a low "whoooooooosh" and now it's more of a low "whiiiiiiiiiish"  Smile

I'm going to use it for a few days and see how the measured data for flow rates and everything else compares to previous data in OSCAR. I'll let you all know. If the reported values are all still the same as before for normal breathing & intentional mask leak rates, then that can be used as a sanity check against the pre & post foam removal flow rate calibration. The flow measurement happens across a small grating with horizontal vanes in it (to create a slight restriction to measure the delta-P across). Unless the lack of foam causes significant turbulence into that grating, then the flow rate sensor should read the same as it always did.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SuperSleeper, sorry about that. I'm happy to oblige with the request of not using "reply with quote" unless absolutely necessary, but can I request a couple things too? Smile
  • Can we get the ability to edit old posts past the 90 minute mark? The main reason I'm quoting my own posts for corrections is because I can't go back and fix the originals, and I don't want people reading through the thread for the first time to be reading erroneous info in my old posts. Thus, I need the quote to provide the context for what I'm correcting; otherwise it gets confusing and forces people to jump back several pages in the thread.
  • Unless I'm mistaken, the normal Reply button doesn't give any reference at all in the post that it's a reply, or what it's replying to. For following the context of a thread, especially when it gets as long as this with several angles of conversation, it's important to be able to follow the context and history. Is there any way we can get an automatic small link in a normal reply that says "Reply to post XXXX" so everyone can follow more easily?
Thanks!  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
As a former owner of a marine forum site, I can tell you why they want to follow the no quote reply policy here. It’s because people just instantly the entire long drawn out thing that was said when actually they are only responding to one or two sentences. I am sure the moderators here will except any reply with in which you shave down the quote to the one or two salient sentences before you reply.
Glen in Ft Lauderdale

Post Reply Post Reply
Also, several people will quote a 15 paragraph post (l-o-n-g) and only add, "I agree". I am exaggerating, but you get the point.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Re: Post 574.

Philips probably uses plastic welding an not adhesives to join the two tank halves together.

Wiki - Plastic welding

This is a very common technique.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm getting ready to call my Sleep Doc for a 'script' to get a new machine. My Dreamstation is 3 1/2 years old so medicare won't help defray the cost, so I'll have to bite the bullet and pay out of pocket.

Question: My Dreamstation is model#: DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500. I use it with a heated tube and humidifier. Would the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset be a comparable machine. If so once I'll get the script for that machine and begin the search to get one.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes-airsense 10 auto set is what you want
Glen in Ft Lauderdale

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,818 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,060 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,604 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,032 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 956 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,200 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.