Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
Also, it looks like they put less durable foam in the ds2 but it's probably silicone based..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsN9TBvVMhc
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm Back.

For some reason, I have NOT been getting emails of new posts for the past 10 Pages...

My GURD is acting up and I think my Machine caused some of that.

OK As to the OLDER Phillips System Ones, I got two System One BiPAPs at an estate auction.

My idea is/was to professionally clean them up and then get them to people who desperately need them.

WARNING I found one of these machines with GOOY foam. Both machines came from the same home: one (The Gooy one) is the NEWER model a 660P where the older one is a 650P.....

Both machines seem to have been used by the same person, both machines had around 4400 Hours on them, both have quiet fans.

I can see no way for the foam to enter the airways, but any out gas MIGHT worm its way into the airflow, as with the Dreamstaions I am removing all foam for these machines.

Rich

(07-09-2021, 03:14 PM)Phaleronic Wrote: Also, it looks like they put less durable foam in the ds2...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsN9TBvVMhc

I know insane, I will not want that stuff in any machine I use.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2021, 03:19 PM)racprops Wrote: I'm Back.

For some reason, I have NOT been getting emails of new posts for the past 10 Pages...

My GURD is acting up and I think my Machine caused some of that.

OK As to the OLDER Phillips System Ones, I got two System One BiPAPs at an estate auction.

My idea is/was to professionally clean them up and then get them to people who desperately need them.

WARNING I found one of these machines with GOOY foam.  Both machines came from the same home: one (The Gooy one) is the NEWER model a 660P where the older one is a 650P.....

Both machines seem to have been used by the same person, both machines had around 4400 Hours on them, both have quiet fans.

I can see no way for the foam to enter the airways, but any out gas MIGHT worm its way into the airflow, as with the Dreamstaions I am removing all foam for these machines.

Rich

I know insane, I will not want that stuff in any machine I use.

Rich

Yep, and what I noticed when taking apart and removing the black foam from my apap and this new bipap st is that the heat from my dremel tool did change the foam's consistency and make it tacky and tar like (hence the heat warning).  I used the dremel tool on low rotation setting too.

I may send back my resmed s10 for her because I prefer the treatment of my dreamstations, and the foam is now removed. 

Do you think they used ozone on the new machine with the gooy foam?
Post Reply Post Reply
I found this on Phillipps Dreamstation Recall face book.

In case anyone wants to have bloodwork to test for VOCs here is a test code from Quest Labs. One of the chemicals “Toluene” is found in treated polyurethane foam, amongst other chemicals. It might be wise to get tested and save the results for potential illnesses or lawsuits. The sooner you are tested the better, since the chemical exposure levels will decrease when stopping the use of the recalled Phillips products.

As you can see there absolutely is a blood test available which tests for volatile organic compounds. Secondly any primary care physician is allowed to write a prescription for blood work.

Here are a couple of pictures of these tests.  I think this might be a good idea.

[attachment=33619]

[attachment=33620]
Post Reply Post Reply
I find it odd that some have ruffled feathers on this Respironics FoamGate, but then hack their PAP open, rip out the foam, reseal it and go back to using. But even with a ResMed right there, they will go back to the dog that bit them.

This is a general post not aimed at anyone in particular.

Dont-know
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
"Yep, and what I noticed when taking apart and removing the black foam from my apap and this new bipap st is that the heat from my dremel tool did change the foam's consistency and make it tacky and tar like (hence the heat warning).  I used the dremel tool on low rotation setting too.

I may send back my resmed s10 for her because I prefer the treatment of my dreamstations, and the foam is now removed. 

Do you think they used ozone on the new machine with the gooy foam? "

First I was very careful to barely cut through the plastic and tried to finish the cuts with an exco knife...

A for the use of a SoClean I cannot tell other than only one machine has the bad foam, all the rest of the machines seem untouched and have no real plastic oder...or chemical oder, and all the other rubber seals, etc. seem AOK as I have to of my own machines to compare them to. 

They did seem to use hard water I had to remove scale and calcium from the water tanks.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2021, 03:47 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I find it odd that some have ruffled feathers on this Respironics FoamGate, but then hack their PAP open, rip out the foam, reseal it and go back to using. But even with a ResMed right there, they will go back to the dog that bit them.

This is a general post not aimed at anyone in particular.

Dont-know

The resmed system doesn't work as well...for me.  The help on here setting it up was nice.  Also, once the foam is gone (the resmed machines have foam in them too), I'd rather use a system without any foam at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2021, 03:50 PM)racprops Wrote: "Yep, and what I noticed when taking apart and removing the black foam from my apap and this new bipap st is that the heat from my dremel tool did change the foam's consistency and make it tacky and tar like (hence the heat warning).  I used the dremel tool on low rotation setting too.

Do you think they used ozone on the new machine with the gooy foam? "

First I was very careful to barely cut through the plastic and tried to finish the cuts with an exco knife...

A for the use of a SoClean I cannot tell other than only one machine has the bad foam, all the rest of the machines seem untouched and have no real plastic oder...or chemical oder, and all the other rubber seals, etc. seem AOK as I have to of my own machines to compare them to. 

They did seem to use hard water I had to remove scale and calcium from the water tanks.

Rich

That's interesting, I too went shallow on cuts, but not enough to curtail the heat from the cuts affecting the foam..

I have saved the foam on both machines if it's ever needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
You did what you're comfortable with. I tried a DreamStation BPAP before ResMed and the ResMed is better for me, the RT says it matches my breathing patterns better or some other smoke and mirrors stuff out of their RT book for dealing with bossy patients.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
WARNING WARNING…OMG WE GOT IT WRONG!!!

The System One units are 100% NOT SAFE…removing the foam does not make them safe.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. It LOOKED like the foam WAS just sound deadening for the outside to the chamber, indeed the fan housing does sit on top and the fan housing is airtight so the foam seems to have NO way into the system.

WE WERE WRONG. (I am not alone) I was checking things over again and OMG the foam is PART OF THE BOTTOM OF THE AIR CHAMBER. It is the bottom wall from the filter to the air intake for the fan.

Removing this foam allows the fan to draw air from inside the casing, bypassing the filter, which I believe will throw off the system's reading as I bet it is calibrated for the slight restriction of the small passage and the filter which will now not be used.

In my opinion, ONLY the Dreamstation can be safely modified by removing its foam and resealing the chamber as per my system.

See pictures…

[attachment=33622]

[attachment=33623]

[attachment=33624]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,850 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,082 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,269 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,621 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,072 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,217 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.