Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
In my situation, I don't have a PAP system unit directly beside my head.  I also don't have a significant other non-PAP user sleeping next to me, that might be sensitive to the sound of a PAP system.  Lastly, I rather enjoy "white noise" anyway.  Therefore having the sound of a fan in the room, even if it was near my head, would be completely fine for me.  I don't quite understand the obsession (or regulations) with near-silent PAP system operation.

It seems obvious that most soft materials composed of thin web membranes would eventually break down - especially amongst varying temperatures and humidifies, if put in a narrow chamber with a high speed fan.

As a side-note, I wonder if the use of natural latex rubber might have been a better solution.  It might help with vibrations but I'm not sure of its sound dampening qualities.  The nice thing about natural rubber from a rubber tree is that one could eat it, so there's no health risk (I would think).  However, the cost of a natural latex cushion might cause an increasing in foam cost from 53 cents/unit to $1.40/unit for Philips.

The desire/need for sound dampening (for me) creates an extremely weak link in an otherwise competent piece of technology.  It's disgusting that Philips has ignored the obvious for more than a decade, merely because they advise replacements every 5 years.  Of course, the use of strong internal cleaners changed that timeline considerably.
Post Reply Post Reply
" It's disgusting that Philips has ignored the obvious for more than a decade, merely because they advise replacements every 5 years."

Oh, it goes farther back, I have a couple of much older machines...I did a few searches and cannot find what year a System One ASV 950 was issued, so backtracking as best I can, I bought a 950 open box machine in 2013. The 960 was already out.

I am guessing Phillips issues, new models, every 5 to 8 years.

Backtracking the 950 from 2013, I would say it was between 5 to 8 years old then.

It has the black foam on the bottom of the case and the airflow from the filter passes over this exposed foam on its way to you.

So I think we can say at least two to three decades of people exposed to foam in their sleep machines.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2021, 12:32 PM)racprops Wrote: "So I think we can say at least two to three decades of people exposed to foam in their sleep machines."

It may not be as long as two to three decades, but it is certainly over one decade. I got my Respironics M-Series Auto BiPAP unit in 2006. It was one of Respironics' state of the art machines at that time and, in fact, has not been subject to the current recall. Sadly, my trusty old M-Series BiPAP suddenly died in February 2021. I inquired all over the U.S. about repairing it but every facility replied that it was too old to repair. So, I replaced my M-Series with its current successor unit, the Philips Respironics DreamStation AutoBiPAP device. And now this PR recall announcement in early June!

One thing I can say is that the DreamStation is a LOT quieter than the M-Series Auto BiPAP. I have no idea what soundproofing the M-series units used, if any, but this outgassing foam did make a difference to my ears anyway. Naturally, I would much prefer to have a louder machine, to which I had no problem adapting, over potential exposure to carcinogens.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2021, 11:45 AM)WakeUpTime Wrote: I wonder if the use of natural latex rubber might have been a better solution.  

No, unfortunately, latex would not be a good idea. Many folks have latex allergies, so that would have been another PR recall or class action lawsuit waiting to happen.

[As an aside, latex allergies also present barriers, so to speak, for people or their sexual partners who have those allergies. Plastic condoms do work but just don't feel the same!]  Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2021, 03:25 PM)Guilhermedico Wrote: Plastic condoms do work but just don't feel the same!

Natural latex rubber is mostly polyisoprene.  You can also chemically synthesize isoprene and make polyisoprene.  This synthesized isoprene lacks the plant chemicals that are usually the cause of latex allergies. 

There are polyisoprene condoms that supposedly don't have the allergy problems.

I would assume you could substitute synthetic isoprene rubber for many natural latex rubber products.  I don't know if this is common.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Somehow talking about the use of condoms seems SO right considering what Phillips is doing to all of us....
Post Reply Post Reply
Philips' complete silence as far as follow-up is concerned for those that registered at the Philips recall site is very disappointing.

- NO "based on the response to date, we estimate that your device would be collected for repair on XXXX"
- NO "we've received 328,000 recall registrations to date"
- NO "status update: we've entered into an agreement with a third party service center"
- NO "owners who recently purchased a DreamStation should expect that..."
- NO "this is a flow chart indicating who will get fixes versus replacements"
- NO "thank you for your registration, please confirm that this is your correct e-mail"
- NO "this is specifically how the process will go...."
- NO "this is description of the new foam we're now using in the DreamStation 2"
- NO "these are the current DreamStation 2 models that will be available over the next 90 days"
- NO "here's a timeline indicating what Philips Respironics has completed so far, and what's coming"
- NO "here's a login registration account so you can modify your address/phone if that changes"
etc.

Absolute silence from Philips - with their call center staff simply stating that it's going to take a considerable amount of time.  It's ironic that Philips has some of the most effective product marketing abilities in the medical industry, yet they're unable to provide any communications to end-users or "customers" (DMEs, hospitals, etc.).  

This is a mandatory individual custom prescribed medical device that has been instantly revoked without any type of immediate fix, replacement or compensation to purchase an alternative product.  

Philips should be immediately ordered to provide an fix/replacement for defective device owners within 30-days or refund all original product purchase prices for all recalled systems.
Post Reply Post Reply
The disclaimer that now accompanies SoClean product descriptions:

Quote:
SoClean 2

What Types of Equipment Does SoClean 2 Sanitize?
Most CPAP and BiPAP machines
All types of CPAP masks
All hoses
Headgear
Clean your humidifier chamber without disassembly

SoClean is not recommended for use on the following Philips machines: 

DreamStation CPAP/APAP, DreamStation BiPAP, DreamStation Go CPAP/Auto, System One (Q Series), Dorma 400/500 CPPA, REMStar SE Auto CPAP, DreamStation ASV, DreamStation ST/AVAPS, System One ASV4, C Series ASV/S/T/AVAPS, Trilogy 100/200, Garbin Plus/Aeries/LifeVent or A-Series BiPAP V30 Auto, E30, OmniLab Advanced Plus, and A-Series BiPAP Hybrid A30/A40.  

This does not affect the DreamStation 2, Trilogy Evo/Evo OBM/EV300/202, BiPAP A40 EFL/Pro, M-Series, Omnilab, Dorma 100/200, or the REMStar SE.

[*Note: This post is not intended to be an advertisement.]
Post Reply Post Reply
I was talking with my friend who once worked with Hanson Robotics who was very involved with making the skin for their human-looking robots.

He is very well informed about foam and plastics and feels there is no permanent foam.

All foam will break down soon or later.

Rich

Question: how many here have reported possible cancers??

How many have reported illness possibly from their machines?

I am on a Facebook site for Phillips recalls that seems to have a fair number of people claiming illness and cancers and believe they got them because of their Phillips machine.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmmm, no mention of ResMed despite the fact it voids their warranties?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,818 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,060 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,604 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,032 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 955 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,200 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.