Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
(07-11-2021, 04:23 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: Philips' complete silence as far as follow-up is concerned for those that registered at the Philips recall site is very disappointing.

- NO "based on the response to date, we estimate that your device would be collected for repair on XXXX"
- NO "we've received 328,000 recall registrations to date"
- NO "status update: we've entered into an agreement with a third party service center"
- NO "owners who recently purchased a DreamStation should expect that..."
- NO "this is a flow chart indicating who will get fixes versus replacements"
- NO "thank you for your registration, please confirm that this is your correct e-mail"
- NO "this is specifically how the process will go...."
- NO "this is description of the new foam we're now using in the DreamStation 2"
- NO "these are the current DreamStation 2 models that will be available over the next 90 days"
- NO "here's a timeline indicating what Philips Respironics has completed so far, and what's coming"
- NO "here's a login registration account so you can modify your address/phone if that changes"
etc.

Absolute silence from Philips - with their call center staff simply stating that it's going to take a considerable amount of time.  It's ironic that Philips has some of the most effective product marketing abilities in the medical industry, yet they're unable to provide any communications to end-users or "customers" (DMEs, hospitals, etc.).  

This is a mandatory individual custom prescribed medical device that has been instantly revoked without any type of immediate fix, replacement or compensation to purchase an alternative product.  

Philips should be immediately ordered to provide an fix/replacement for defective device owners within 30-days or refund all original product purchase prices for all recalled systems.

The day after the recall I had a brand new factory sealed ResMed 10 Autoset on my doorstep, and got it before it ballooned in price too. 
The continued negligence on the part of Philips isn't a surprise. I've got a PR only 4 months old sitting in my room collecting dust that will never be used again. What a complete waste of money.  It will take years, and even then, there will be minimal compensation, if any. Corporations squash the end user, and you're left holding an empty bag wile they run all the way the bank with your money. C ya suckers!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2021, 08:58 AM)RayBee Wrote: Buy a nonstick food-safe silicone sheet for $10 on Amazon. Cut it out to fit the footprint of the seal you need and use the existing (bad) foam (if still resilient enough) to compress it against the plastic housing where it needs to make the seal.
Thanks RayBee!
Cheaper* suggestion:  Parchment Paper roll from grocery store (what you use to put on cookie sheets when baking).  Food safe, ok for high heat (425 degrees F).  I’m going to give that a try with my oldest PRS1 on top of the crumbling foam.  Only issue is it isn’t a complete seal due to the three round cutouts for the motor mounts.  But that area of the foam isn’t crumbling in my old machine, it is the outer edges that are bad.
*Reynolds Kitchens unbleached, 45sq ft roll, $3.48 
I like this idea better than taking the foam out, as it keeps the seal and the air supply has to come through the replaceable filters on the back of the machine.
- SleepyCPAP
Post Reply Post Reply
I found the most reasonable response to Respironics recalls at the Veterans Administration site.
https://www.patientsafety.va.gov/safety-...recall.asp     

My sleep Doc just said stop using your DreamStation since that is what Respironics rescommends!!1
Post Reply Post Reply
I lean towards a sheet of plastic, and if I can find the same plastic used in these housings will use it.

And I think super glue is the glue to use to seal the joints, it is a reactive glue that once flashed is not soft but solid and even slightly glass-like.

In model making, I have used it for some 40 years, and in some cases used that glass-like effect to hold metals together and then count on its glass-like to liability to shatter by dropping the parts on my concrete floor.

I also think that superglue was used as a cut and wound sealer back in the 60s it was used during the Vietnam war to stop bleeding and did save a number of lives. https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffnt&q=Was+sup...%3F&ia=web

"from one article: Is it safe to use ordinary household cyanoacrylate glue as a medical glue?

According to Reference 7, most cyanoacrylate glues not designed specifically for medical use are formulated from methyl-2-cyanoacrylate, since it produces the strongest bond. Not only can such glues irritate the skin, during polymerization they can generate significant heat, to the point of causing skin burns. I gather this is a problem only if a large area of skin is affected. But to err on the side of safety, you should tell your brother-in-law he should only use medically-approved glue, not the ordinary kind. And always be careful using it–I know families are supposed to stick together, but there are limits."

I personally have used my model glue to seal and stop the pain and bleeding from small razer cuts which are a lot like paper cuts that can hurt for days, the glue does stop that and yes it can burn for a few seconds.

So they are not considered toxic to humans...I cannot find out why it is not used more even with the more flesh-friendly versions, One idea I think it does seal the wounds but perhaps too good as there is NO blood flow across the wound/cut which is a better idea to help healing.

So I think it is the safest glue we have available as in this use it will be used to just glue plastic parts together, and once cured is a fixed solid and does not outgas any chemicals.

OK This is a fact, all plastics slowly outgas, they age, and in 20/50+ years will go bad and crumble or break as they become brittle. And this is true with nearly everything, even wood, which is why we varnish wood, the varnish slows this but even the varnish will outgas its self.

But again varnish seems to become very stable and thus both it and the wood it protects can last decades, even hundreds of years.

I am very concerned with how long I can plan on keeping my current machines as I am not liking the new Dreamstation II and worry about the upcoming ResMed 11 models and how both companies are pushing for no repairs, ResMed is trying to limit their sales to only ONE owner with no resales, and have a program to currently say at 20K your machine is worn out, and needs to be replaced. I think it could become something that shuts off the machine and makes you replace it is not far off.

The costs of repairing both company's systems are kind of high...and can go higher, and Phillips has a cut-off date and at that point will not even sell any major parts, my 950 was cut off last year, no mainboards or fans.

So I am working on stockpiling spare parts to prolong my system's life by two to three decades....in my best case end of life at say 105...

I am also working on getting a ResMed's Air Curve 10 ASV machine and plan on doing the same with it.

Funny I have long been doing this with my current crop of cars. I am KEEPING and maintaining a 2003 Ford Crown Vic ex-cop car as it is well made with a history of 300K lives, and is still as simple as you can get a modern car. My other travel car is a 93 Starcraft Custom Chevy G20 van which I am rebuilding a 383 engine for. Both I have a spare one stored in my back yard for parts.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Once again, we see the "YOU SUCK" level from the VA to us veterans....  "If you are a Veteran that uses a Philips Respironics CPAP or BiPAP device, continue to use your device as prescribed. You should register your device at https://www.philipssrcupdate.expertinquiry.com. Philips Respironics will send you a new device when one is available. This may take several months. "

So I just called my DreamStation (Nightmare Station) provider and she said she has a Airsense 10 I can buy for $750.  Looking through sites here, I'm seeing over $800 for them.  Should I go ahead and buy one?  No well in hell am I waiting "several months" for Philips to do anything for me.  Will I be able to continue wearing my favorite mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
You should call the suppliers listed on the Suppliers List. For a slightly used model, Supplier #2 has a proven track record. Supplier #33 is advertising an AS10 Autoset for $699. Also, be aware that there is a minimum price that can be advertised. By calling them, it will provide a chance to get a better price.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2021, 10:41 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote:  Also, be aware that there is a minimum price that can be advertised.  By calling them, it will provide a chance to get a better price.

- Red

Good tip. I bought my AS10 from a local supplier. Their on-line price was ~$800. On the phone with them it dropped to $578 plus the cost of a hose. 

Another local supply house I called was still $800. But then the next day I got an email they dropped the price to $600 including a hose. I said sorry, you're a day late, I bought one yesterday.
Post Reply Post Reply
OMG they have all jacked the prices UP. Supplier #2 WAS $2199.00 three weeks ago for a ResMed Air Curve 10 ASV NOW they are:
$4199.00 SOBs

And Supplier #33 has a Better price but still high $2,999 new...$800.00 higher...

I think I have found a good dealer, So far they have been fair with me and if the current advertised price for a refurbished Air Curve 10 ASV for $1299.00 is correct they have not jacked the prices up like everyone else. I almost bought one from them the week of the news, and that was the price then and it is still the price.

Whereas #2 has jacked their price insanely Now used $2,999 which WAS at $1300.00 and new $4999.00 WAS $2100.00 for an Air Curve ASV, SO they have jacked their price by OMG $2000.00 for a new model. And I THOUGHT They were one of the good guys….

Again I was shopping two weeks ago.

I have submitted the name and link to the person here in charge to add them to the supplier list.

Meanwhile, I guess you will need to PM me for their contact info.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Supplier #2 changes prices through the day.  The machine I bought fluctuated by close to $1000 depending on time of day.  Yes, the price went up and down.
Post Reply Post Reply
Guess based on their mood and how they like you...

Oh well.

I understand ResMed is sold out nearly everywhere...

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,845 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,072 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,619 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,063 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,213 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.