Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
Well I asked my wife if it's okay to drop $750 for the ResMed AirSense 10 and she said, "HECK YEAH!"  So my provider sold me a brand-new one!  It's smaller than the old NightMareStation and seems to hold more distilled water so hopefully I don't have to refill the stupid water tank every night.
Question about it....not sure what to set the heated hose temp..."auto?"  I like to sleep cool so don't want very hot air blowing in me..what do y'all set it to?
So glad my Philips mask fits but wondering if ResMed also has full face masks I can try?  I'm totally done with Philips so if I can, also, get rid of their mask that would be a plus.

Cool wifi on the machine...loaded it right into an app on my phone.  Put on the mask and powered it up and, boy, it's so quiet I put my ear right next to it and didn't hear anything..."is it on?"   The Philips box instantly blew 9.0 pressure when turned on, would usually make my eardrums pop, but the ResMed is a lot gentler and I set it to ramp up in 5 minutes.  (I think due to my military days I've conditioned myself to be able to fall sleep just about anywhere and I almost always fall into a deep sleep within 10 minutes of laying down...sometimes within a few minutes!  Probably the coolest place I've slept is inside of a big satellite dish we had loaded on a C-17 heavy hauler aircraft and was flying from Dover AFB, Maryland to Ramstein, Germany!
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations on the new machine.  I like my ResMed S9 machine.

I think that as long as there is not too much water collecting in the hose, there is no need for a heated hose, unless the air feels cold to you.

I quit using humidification some time ago, and rarely feel the need.   I experimented with it both ways and didn't see a lot of difference.  YMMV.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Going to a Senator is going over the heads of some of the people working on this (supposedly working). Any Senator can pick up the phone and have a direct line to the FDA director and ask what is happening. 

Besides, I wrote to the FDA director and the senators on the Senate Committee on Health. Also wrote to my Rep. but haven't heard from her office yet. I wrote to the CPSC, The Atlantic, and the NY Times. I also wrote to CMS in support of the need for altered payment formulas that would cover a second machine if someone's original machine was lost to recall. It helps that AASM has done some good letter writing of their own. I will continue to write to anyone who might have sway or bring public attention to this matter. 

We are not helpless here. This is such a heinous, negligent, irresponsible and immoral thing that has happened and Philips and the DMEs need to be held accountable. I am doing what I can to contact people who can hold them accountable. 

If my Senator can contact Philips, imagine what would happen if multiple Senators were clamoring for an answer? There is strength in numbers. 

Contacting 60 Minutes was brilliant.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2021, 05:11 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: Just sent a report to 60 Minutes, suggesting they investigate this very important medical industry news event, as it relates to device owners.  I suggested they read these postings to gain some insight into how it's affecting end-users.  Maybe they'll give it a small segment.

Good work contacting 60 minutes! My note to them is going out now. Given the "announcement" from April, preceding the recall, it seems like there could be a really good story here for investigative journalism. There really is strength in numbers. And I know from years of doing governmental liaison and policy work that politicians do pay attention when their constituents contact them with significant issues such as this. I encourage others to send a quick email also that points out the wrong that has been done here. This would not happen with another medical device, and I will not back down until CPAPS are viewed as essential just as much as any other medical equipment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2021, 05:11 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: Just sent a report to 60 Minutes, suggesting they investigate this very important medical industry news event, as it relates to device owners.  I suggested they read these postings to gain some insight into how it's affecting end-users.  Maybe they'll give it a small segment.

It is a start, the downside is that they are on their summer break, and only showing reruns. I tried to start a dialogue with a large local law firm. They have a division that works only on medical devices. They are currently working on two cases, both involving death and Philips. I tried, but they will not do a class action and are only taking cases they can clearly prove in court.

I tried to convince my own doctor to get involved, and I might add that he lost his brother-in-law to covid. He said he felt my specific concern in this, but without very clear evidence of a severe medical condition, he wouldn't be able to move forward with only my concerns. He listed numerous medical ethics that he could not go against.

My next step is to go after my local news outlets, both print, and broadcast.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2021, 08:58 AM)btreger Wrote: [60 Minutes]  It is a start, the downside is that they are on their summer break, and only showing reruns.

[Law Firms]  I tried to start a dialogue with a large local law firm. 

[Media]  My next step is to go after my local news outlets, both print, and broadcast.

I didn't realize that 60 Minutes would be on a summer break, and that would considerably extend their response time.  Hopefully, as a news magazine, they're always actively processing investigative news stories and they'll forward the investigative news suggestion on to another CBS news journal/department that can act on it in a more timely way.

Regarding law firm coverage, my guess is that there are class-action firms that are extremely well suited for this type of situation.  With 3-4 million affected people, it has important implications to many.  The challenge that some will see is analyzing the direct "harm".  Many need to be educated on the many types of "harm" that has been done to the Philips PAP owner community.  It's taken me awhile to fully understand it.  Here is a summary of the "harm" or damage that I see so far:

Immediate Out-of-Pocket Financial Costs to End-Users
There's no need to prove "harm" here.  We were immediately instructed by Philips to stop using their recalled devices and acquire a replacement device.  That financial consequences for the immediately replacement of a necessary medical device is likely $500-$2,500.  The damages here are therefore, at least, the residual asset value of owners' recalled device, after depreciation/usage.  One could even argue it's more due to now having to compete with current replacement costs, obtaining new prescriptions, possibly having to throw out Philips system related accessories too, etc.

Possible Current/Past Health Damages Related to Use of Defective Devices
This is more complex and time consuming.  Lawyers will have to prove there is a significant likelihood that some people's health issues (anything from throat irritation on one extreme, to possible life-threatening diseases on the other).

Long-term Future Health Damages Related to Use of Defective Devices (Currently Not Known)
If someone were to develop an illness in 6 months or several years, that might possibly be related to the ingestion of foam particles and their chemical composition, a fund should exist that would allow them to access medical funding and/or compensation.

Corporate Neglect in Delaying the Announcement of the Recall
Philips has delayed the announcement of the recall between a few months and a few years - depending on its real reason for the foam change in the DreamStation 2 and when first complaints about foam particles began surfacing.  Philips may have been deliberately covering up and minimizing the evidence of the harmful nature of the breakdown of the foam, especially as assisted by SoClean and other intensive internal cleaning systems.

Design Errors in the Implementation of the Foam in 2009
As one of the earlier great posters pointed out, Philips purchased Respironics around the beginning of 2008.  Philips changed the foam in systems beginning 2009, to the defective foam, also made with cancer-causing chemicals.  That leads to many questions.  Was the previous foam also faulty?  Was there therefore neglect by Philips in its choice of new foam?  If so, they could be made accountable for selling a faulty designed product.

Others
I'm sure I've missed one or more other ways that Philips could be held financially responsible.

Also, media outlets, government agencies and lawyers need to understand two additional very important issues that they don't seem to quite understand as yet:

(1) Many people see their PAP system as a life-saving device.  

If I don't use my system, I'll likely be in an ER within 30 days, either from a car accident, cardiac arrest, or something else - and I don't have any (known) other health issues.  PAP systems are NOT health aids.  For many, they are life extensions.  Therefore, telling PAP users that they must immediately stop using their machine means they have to immediately acquire something else - or, worse yet, be forced to continue using their defective, potentially cancer-causing, breathing system.

(2) Philips' announcement of the recall and a "fix" has produced no results immediately for end-users.  

Recalled device users know that they likely won't receive a "fixed" device (or replacement) for many months, possibly years.  Most have indicated that they will be using that device as a backup system as they will have already acquired a replacement system.  So the significance of these long-term future efforts by Philips is minimal.  No "fix", no replacement device, no compensation for the past purchase of a defective device, etc.

Regarding the media, you and others have motivated me to put together a substantive report on all the issues that are related to the Philips recall.  There are so many branches to it, as indicated above.  But the most important branch at the moment, as far as end-users are concerned, is a timely immediate appropriate replacement or compensation for the need to immediately replace a medically necessary breathing system.  I'll then conduct a campaign to notify various national media outlets.  We could use a little press to highlight the importance of PAP devices and the lack of action by Philips.
Post Reply Post Reply
There seems to some action on a face book site: Philips CPAP Recall Support Group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/49612885...&ref=notif

"David DuBravaAdmin
Hi all, after much research my father has decided have to partner with Eisenberg Rothweiler out of Philadelphia PA. For his Litigation. We found that this firm had the most knowledge regarding the CPAP machine recall and have the necessary resources to take on a large company like Phillips. Feel free to check their firm out at ERlegal.com and feel free to contact Fred Eisenberg at 215 585 2814. Feel free to email Fred at. fred@erlegal.com"

For what it is worth.

Rich

Sadly with insane weather, buildings falling down, a rise in Delta Virus we are not really newsworthy.

BUT what about other news shows, and late-night talk shows, they reach a lot of people, or any of the day time News shows..

As I cannot put a link here do a search for: screenrant.com/most-popular-daytime-talk-shows-ranked-imdb

We really need a good spokesperson someone good looking and very camera firendly and then perhaps a few good sound bites and perhaps a couple of personal stories from very sick people and their Doctors who will say on camera they believe their illness was caused by the bad foam.

Sound bites like: How an International company has put billions of people worldwide who use their sleep machine nightly on notice they are at greater risk USING their product and has told everyone to stop using them RIGHT NOW with NO replacement medical devices to replace them.

This can feel like being told to unplug your mother's life support...or in this case your own.

Stuff like that, perhaps?

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
What about John Oliver? His "Last Week Tonight" show does a great job of researching stuff.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds good, in fact, I have seen people "make the rounds" and get on a number of shows.

MAYBE we can get William Shatner, after all he may have helped create the problem by shilling for SoClean now he can help make up for it.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
OK AS I worked on a number of Star Trek films, I have reached out to William Shatner on his fan club thus:

"Hello, Mr. Shatner, I am a 73 year old fan, I watched the classic show Live and then in reruns.

I even became a Prop Maker and worked on a Number of hand props you yourself used in Star Trek two, four, five and six. To see them check out my own face book at https://www.facebook.com/richardacoyle7 especially https://www.facebook.com/richardacoyle7/photos_albums where I have albums for each movie.

I am writing you to help millions of people like yourself who have sleep apnea and sadly have had their life’s put into great risk because of Phillips recalling EVERY system made in the past decade due to bad foam use within their machines, they are telling everyone to stop using their systems NOW.

I pray your using a ResMed machine, otherwise…

The problem is causing a nightmare for millions worldwide and Phillips is taking their sweet time doing anything about this. There just is not enough replacement machines being supply which is causing a run on Resmed machines, the other main manufacturer of these machines.

We really need a good spokesperson someone with real power to get the word out.

Sound bites like: How an International company has put billions of people worldwide who use their sleep machine nightly on notice they are at greater risk USING their product and has told everyone to stop using them RIGHT NOW with NO replacement medical devices to replace them.

This can feel like being told to unplug your mother's life support...or in this case your own.

I HATE to bring this up BUT Phillips and Resmed are both condemning CPAP Cleaning systems like SoClean as worsening the problem.

We fellow sleep apnea victims need a HERO, we need someone like you to get the word out, that millions will suffer health problems with or without these bad sleep machines as Phillips is say they MAY start to do something any month and could take a year to replace or repair all these machines. Many may die before them.

Someone who can “make the rounds” on news shows and other media, someone like yourself.

I am very willing to speak with you at leanth about all of this if you wish to, you can reach me by facebook.

Thanks for all you have done for all us fans.

Richard Coyle "

Fingers crossed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 56 4,982 Yesterday, 02:51 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,221 04-17-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 37 1,076 04-16-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 584 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 821 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1
  [Treatment] Valtor Therapy Thread - from Autoset to Vauto Valtor 50 1,382 04-12-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 34 2,775 04-08-2024, 03:26 PM
Last Post: IanD

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.