Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
Phillips' released an update to providers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEe_DHc8WBc
Post Reply Post Reply
As a previous business owner, I can't begin to imagine how customers might have responded to my business, or to me personally, had we conducted ourselves in the way Philips is conducting themselves with distributors and end-users.

[*** NOTE:  This is a fictitious company letter meant to provide a hypothetical comparable response. ***]

Quote:Re:  Defective Product Recall

Dear authorized dealers and end-users:

It's been determined that almost all our products, that we've been selling since 2009, contain a necessary component that breaks down and will cause harm to you, some quickly and some over a long time, depending on temperatures, humidity, cleaning methods, etc.  You must immediately stop using it.  We will repair it several months in the future, though we're not sure exactly when because there are many of you.

We've told you to stop using it immediately, so you can't hold us liable if you continue to use this product.  Since our product is necessary for you to use each day, you'll need to immediately purchase someone else's product - if you can get one, at whatever the market price is at that time.  We recognize that you likely purchased accessories and supplies too, related to the defective system, that may not be usable with your replacement system.  That's unfortunate, but don't hold us accountable for that.

We regret that we have taken a substantial amount of time to inform you of this urgent situation.  We thought it would be best if we first re-design a new system and begin shipping it first.  Due to COVID-19, we also had to focus on new market opportunities that were more important to the long-term strategic outcomes for the company.  

We also regret that we did not immediately react to early complaints as to the faulty nature of our product.  Rest assured, we did discuss them during our private boardroom meetings.  We recently asked those in-charge of the two critical departments related to design and strategic development to take early retirement, so they will no longer be available for questions.

We recognize that you won't really need a "fixed" product in the future, having immediately purchased another replacement product, so you shouldn't need your device repaired quickly anyway.  Feel free to merely store your "fixed" unit as a keep sake, but keep in mind that we consider the total lifespan of our products to be 5 years.

Please don't call us for updated information as we won't have any information to give you.  If you need additional information, please contact a doctor and ask their opinion.  

By informing you of our defective cancer-causing product, we hope that you will continue to view us as a high quality manufacturer with the best customer service in the industry.

Sincerely,

The Corporation

[*** NOTE:  This is a fictitious company letter meant to provide a hypothetical comparable response. ***]
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2021, 04:17 PM)Phaleronic Wrote: Phillips' released an update to providers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEe_DHc8WBc

So the information seems to indicate that offgasing of VOCs, at hazardous levels, only occurs during the first 24 hours of use.  If this is true I may just risk using the machine a little while longer until it is fixed by Phillips.

On the other hand, is that information trustworthy coming from Phillips themselves?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2021, 04:31 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: As a previous owner of several small companies, I can't begin to imagine how customers might have responded to my businesses, or to me personally, had we conducted ourselves in the way Philips is conducting themselves with distributors and end-users.

Exactly. And if this were any other medical device, this wouldn't be happening. I am tired of people with sleep problems being treated as if it is their own fault. If ever there was a time to take control of the situation, this is it. Enough. And don't you love how Philips has not even communicated with users? They could have pushed out a notice using their app. Nothing. If it weren't for the fact that I happened to be watching the evening news I probably wouldn't even know about this medical device that is slowly poisoning me. I am pushing for punitive damages, not just recovery of expenses. This is beyond unacceptable.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it should be incumbent on Wakeuptime to stipulate that he's not actually "quoting" Phillips or seemingly anything other than his own imagination. I don't mind satire at all, but on a thread like this, shouldn't we not be creating confusion? Passions are already high. Don't "quote" imaginary sources in order to vent your own spleen.

Yeah, the British regulatory agency for medical devices also mentioned possible off gassing only occurring in the first twenty four hours. The idea of using a bacteria filter to collect possible foam particles seems reasonable is one must use their machine; better than nothing I suppose.

I asked earlier about any reports here happening over the years concerning people finding black particles in their mask or humidifier dish. The guy from Supplier #1 said they'd heard perhaps one or two mentions of this out of thousands of machines. Again, this suggests the problem may be somewhat limited in scope. I mean, who knows? Other factors might support that conclusion--namely, a lack of widespread complaint over the years.

However, there was a thread about people finding black discoloration in the venting elbow of one particular mask. Hmmm. Was that ever resolved?
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed:

I just received an email from the CEO. I know there are other ResMed users out there so I will not copy the entire message, just some highlights:

ResMed devices use a different material than what Philips uses in their recalled machines. Patient safety is always our ResMed team’s top priority.

We rigorously test our devices against applicable standards before we launch a new product. We reevaluate our testing when other device makers raise concerns. 

At this time of considerable increase in demand for ResMed products, we are doing everything we can to increase our manufacturing of sleep and respiratory care devices, so we can get them to the patients who need them most. 
Post Reply Post Reply
We will have to see, but it should be an independent lab that tests the foam.  We may have some people here that could do that..

I have a screenshot of the statement:

[Image: 51310894870_50e22dc647_c.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
I personally have never been made to feel as if my apnea was my own fault. I'm with Kaiser; they've never shamed me. Who does that? yeah, their dme's can be a bit lame, but they never shame me.

I wonder what it would look like to "take control of the situation"?

Boeing had to recall their Dreamliner after several of them crashed, killing all aboard. Meat processors have had to recall pork and beef that made thousands ill and worse. How does one "take control of that situation"?

I'll never invest in a company that uses the word "dream" in their product name. That'[s one of my take aways. (humor).

edit: I see that Wakemeup has included a statement in his earlier post about his letter being fictitious. Great!
Post Reply Post Reply
Apnea isn't your fault, but it's been brought about by the jaw structure of modern human beings, it's also part of the system.

[Image: 51310644939_ac2b8f7992_c.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
I have seen a couple of Facebook sites where a LOT of the posters are saying they are sick, and some claim cancer, lung cancer, and feel their Dreamstations caused it.

And a fair number have dirty masks, hoses, and water tanks.

These sites are very depressing. And scary.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,858 03-27-2024, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,086 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,271 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,623 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,256 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 970 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,219 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.