Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
Watching the video they say only 250K have signed up...I guess they NEVER thought how many will never want anything to do with a company that we all fear may have given us cancer???

And as there is no supply of replacement machines in the DMEs many are struggling to get by hook or crook any OTHER make of machine.

AND as this is so low profile millions have NOT even heard of it.

OK This will be nice IF true, they say they are doing NOTHING in sales, ALL new machines are going to replacement of old machines, NO new sales.

And ONE person has received a letter from Phillips.

Interesting, the New Dreamstation II IS ONLY a CPAP or an APAP, he said if you on a BiPAP or other machines the only course is to repair the older machine.

Well Phillips is claiming at this time a 3% reporting but admits that may a low number.

Also they are saying the major outgassing happens on the first day or two.

And that the partials are too large to get deep into our lungs..

YET they are suggesting bacterial filters....

And kind of downplaying cancer effects...

So the million-dollar question can we believe them??

I have great screen captures of all the pages he showed and will edit the frames and post them shortly.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2021, 06:26 PM)hegel Wrote: I personally have never been made to feel as if my apnea was my own fault. I'm with Kaiser; they've never shamed me. Who does that? yeah, their dme's can be a bit lame, but they never shame me.

I wonder what it would look like to "take control of the situation"?

(rest of quote deleted for brevity)

This is a research and also a clinical area of mine for about 20 years and I have heard over and over from people who felt like they were blamed for their apnea. If only they would lose weight, for example. Family members and friends may not understand. There is a great deal of stigma associated with this for many people. Take control refers to empowerment. How many people are given an active role in their care where they are taught to understand data and settings, given a choice of machine, supported and worked with to have an active role in their treatment? How many people turn to discussion boards and internet groups because they are not getting the help and support they know they need (and should have)? In many chronic conditions, people have extensive support groups, education, followup, etc. to ensure they are educated and involved. There are numerous concepts in medical research about patient engagement and activation. Some facilities are much better about that now than they used to be. But not all.  Too often I know from my own clinical experience and my research the emphasis is on compliance and people can feel threatened that "they'll take your machine away if you don't use it enough." People have told me they felt in "limbo" because of such a lack of information. Take control means be an active participant in your own care (to the extent that you want) and not be forced into passivity which is pervasive in this field. Take control would include having access to your own data and understanding it. I don't want smiley faces on my machine. I want all the numbers, and as a patient with a chronic and serious medical condition, I should have that without having to rely on discussion boards to help me understand my own care. That is taking control, as people here have done by filling in those gaps. I think those gaps should be smaller and fewer.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2021, 04:17 PM)Phaleronic Wrote: Phillips' released an update to providers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEe_DHc8WBc

Excellent video update from this DME in Florida.  It seems to be the first and only "official" update so far from Philips, and meant for DMEs.  It was great that he shared those details with his customer audience.  

The DME video presenter was extremely careful not to appear to offend Philips in any way.  

As he reads every item that could be considered "concerning", he always seemed to mitigate the concern considerably.  He was ever so optimistic that each potential concern wasn't that bad at all.  Of course he would say that I suppose.  Philips' customers are his customers.  He doesn't want angry customers knocking on his door.  From his perspective, "all is well" and come in a purchase your new DreamStation 2 or ResMed system.

The Philips DME stressed that Philips laboratory test results showed that the foam particles (with proven cancer-causing compounds) are small and wouldn't likely go deep into the lungs.  Adding a bacteria filter is a good solution.  Etc.  He's walking a fine line being careful not to upset previous device owners while continuing to speak positively about Philips (his equipment supplier) at every opportunity.

We need to have independent individuals respond to the detailed disclosures made to Philips Authorized DMEs.  There's a lot to discuss there.
Post Reply Post Reply
"People have told me they felt in "limbo" because of such a lack of information. Take control means be an active participant in your own care (to the extent that you want) and not be forced into passivity which is pervasive in this field."

Sleeprn: Fair enough. I'm one who's actively engaged in all aspects of my health care. I also encourage everyone to do the same. I agree that the smiley face info provided by Resmed is infantilizing. However: looking at things from the other side...my guess is that handing control over to everyone who uses cpap without restrictions might cause--would cause--other problems. And the internet will exacerbate this. Imagine doctors who have to deal with patients coming in for cancer treatment. They read on the internet that ginko balboa is a great treatment option. They want to cancel their chemo and go with that. The doctor knows nothing; the patient with no background in medicine want to run the show. Wants to "take control".

I hope you see my point. You emphasize being an active participant in one's own health care. Absolutely!! Work with your doctor to optimize treatment.

Not everyone (and in fact most people) aren't really educated or engaged enough to over rule their doctors. People here are self selected in a way: they want to take the trouble to fine tune their treatment. This is likely not a representative group of the population at large.

Some people are taking control of the Covid situation by refusing to wear masks and refusing to get inoculated. So it's complicated, as you know better than me!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2021, 06:05 PM)btreger Wrote: ResMed:

I just received an email from the CEO. I know there are other ResMed users out there so I will not copy the entire message, just some highlights:

ResMed devices use a different material than what Philips uses in their recalled machines. Patient safety is always our ResMed team’s top priority.

We rigorously test our devices against applicable standards before we launch a new product. We reevaluate our testing when other device makers raise concerns. 

At this time of considerable increase in demand for ResMed products, we are doing everything we can to increase our manufacturing of sleep and respiratory care devices, so we can get them to the patients who need them most. 

Well, again this depends on rather you believe THEM.

My materials guy states "All foam breaks down soon or later", perhaps it will be safe for the Stated 5 years lifetime, but I plan on using my machines for 25 years.

Rich

SO I want no foam in any of my machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a good summary from one of the law firms regarding a class-action lawsuit against Philips:

Quote:Litigation is in a very early stage, and there are potentially hundreds of thousands of plaintiffs throughout the United States. It is expected that there will be a federal MDL (multi-district litigation), which expedites the court process by temporarily consolidating all of these personal injury cases during pretrial proceedings. Unlike with class actions, MDL plaintiffs’ cases remain separate.

Expected causes of action against Philips include:

• Defective design (strict product liability and negligence)
  • Failure to warn
  • Consumer fraud / Deceptive trade practices
  • Negligence per se
  • Gross negligence
  • Fraudulent concealment
  • Fraudulent misrepresentation
  • Negligent misrepresentation
  • Breach of implied and express warranties
Post Reply Post Reply
"And the internet will exacerbate this. Imagine doctors who have to deal with patients coming in for cancer treatment. They read on the internet that ginko balboa is a great treatment option. They want to cancel their chemo and go with that. The doctor knows nothing; the patient with no background in medicine want to run the show. Wants to "take control".

I hope you see my point. Not everyone (and in fact most people) aren't really educated or engaged enough to over rule their doctors. People here are self selected in a way: they want to take the trouble to fine tune their treatment. This is likely not a representative group of the population at large."

Sadly I totally agree.

I had an old friend who let a small case of skin cancer near kill him, it did majorly disfigure his face and only when he was on his death bed was his wife able to call for help and get him to normal Doctors.

He spent three years trying ever every kind of alternative medicine including Faith Healing as his face rotted away.

You seen the horror commercials about the ravages of smoking, he looked like that in the end.

So here is my take on this subject:

Reaching 73 has been no small task.

I have mostly done it by sheer good luck and God’s Blessings. And perhaps thanks to good genes and some good help from some Doctors and inspire of some other doctors.

Health care is like self-defense, you are the best person to take care of yourself in both cases.
Quite frankly if you don’t almost no one else will.

I have made as a result of all my involvement with keeping myself alive and as healthy as I can.

First and foremost I AM NOT A DOCTOR; I have had NO training and no schooling in any medical fields.

So everything posted here, even copies of some real medical reports are to be considered opinions ONLY.

NOTHING here is to be considered any kind of medical advice.

If you get anything from these posts it should only be seeing what I have figured out for myself and that what works for me might make you sick or even kill you.

OLD SAYING “One man’s poison is another man’s meal.”

I fully believe in my posts but you should not. These are just to share what I THINK I have learned.

Doing anything I have posted is 1000% at your OWN RISK OK??

Please allow these posts to inspire you to do your own research and figure out your own care and treatment.

I ALWAYS start with the Doctors: and I ALWAYS let them try to help, then if/when they are unable to help, I then take matters into my own hands. I have done so in a number of cases, so what is posted here are my finding.

I have found that Doctors are great with a life-threatening problem and they will move heaven and earth to save you. AND they are very good at saving you!

BUT go to them with a small thing like Chronic Fatigue, or mild pain and they are hard-pressed to be any help. They can keep you alive, but being able to help give you a good quality of life energy to enjoy living, and sadly they are not any help at all.

These smaller health problems are Not in their sandbox.

And almost none of these small things are Life-Threatening, and I make sure of that by SEEING a Doctor and if he cannot find anything wrong then I need to figure the small things out for myself.

In all fairness they are not alone; I have worked on all kinds of machines, from Cars to computers.

Here to the big problems are easy to spot, throw a rod in an engine easy..replace the engine, but have an INTERMITTENT miss, one that comes and goes or a small vapor leak that sets a check engine light and it gets a 1000 times hard to find that.

Computers and other machines are the same, it shuts down, a power supply or mainboard burns out, easy: just replace which part is bad, a funky INTERMITTENT glitch in a program or in some part of the computer it gets a 1000 times hard to find that.

In every field, the person who CAN figure those small odd problems out we call Miracle workers.

In Medicine well, I can only think of a TV Doctor..Dr. House was played as one.

I am none of the above, but I do feel I am fair at figuring a lot out.

Here I feel I have done in a number of cases: I have improved the quality of my life.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
This just in, the repair foam MAY not be the new white foam used in the new Dramstation II, if I am reading this correctly in report #3, I would think that if the foam in the Dreamstation was already cleared for sale its use in the older machine would be OK, unless each model has to be cleared even with the same foam from another unit...

He spoke about a repair kit and how most Phillips service companies will be doing them. Hopefull at no cost to owners.

He also talked about older machines and BiPAP and ASV and other High-End machines that will require repairs as currently, they are not making them.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
I have registered and have an email from Philips that my machine is affected, my DME however did not inform me or others so as not to alarm... !

Funny how they are quick to sell the equipment and sundries.. guess money is vital...
Post Reply Post Reply
It's "one man's meat is another man's poison.."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,848 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,075 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,620 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,067 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,214 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.