Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
(07-15-2021, 08:17 AM)Glen e Wrote: From above:

“I knew there was going to be a rush for ResMed machines”

And that’s exactly what occurred to me and my brother. I had a resmed machine, as I’ve said above, and he had a dreamstation. The day that we heard about this and read this thread, he got on the phone and made calls to all the people that everybody else here has called, and got nowhere. We both looked at each other and knew instantly with the amount of people out there looking for a replacement, and the finite amount of machines that were on the shelf from anybody besides philips, We “did the math“ and immediately got online and grabbed a machine.

Because the alternative, like so many above have found,  is Medicare may say this and DME’s  it may say that, but there’s no amount of money worth not being able to sleep. He paid a bit more, but is sleeping fine these days in. Sometimes you can’t wait for the bureaucracy to get this straightened out, because in this case,  no amount of calling 60 minutes or getting your local media people riled up against  some multinational corporation is gonna get you sleep relief.

Yes!
Post Reply Post Reply
Good deal getting the replacement so quickly. I tried using my travel machine not wanting to spend the money, but quickly realized that was not a good long term option. By then, prices were over $800 on AirSense 10 auto. I know I will never see that money again but am not letting up with my DME. They can hash it out with Philips. Philips gave them the bum machines to distribute. Why am I left with the big bill?
Post Reply Post Reply
Exactly…I bought my Philips  from my ‘doctor’ and overpaid royally …

Now a 4 month old Philips scream machine is sitting in the case collecting dust. Think I’ll ever have compensation? …..nah
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2021, 03:52 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: ADMIN NOTE:

That said, I would ask our members to try their best to remain on-topic and not get too far off the subject matter (ie- the Recall issues).

Remember, you can always start a brand new thread for a topic not directly related to the PR Recall issue.

I found the discussion that sleeprn launched to be really useful and interesting.

sleeprn -- would you be willing to launch a thread and we can continue over there?
Post Reply Post Reply
THE BOSTON GLOBE / Q&A
"Recall of sleep apnea machines leaves many in the lurch, and worried"
The manufacturer of his CPAP machine has issued a recall, leaving him and many like him frustrated.
The Boston Globe / July 6, 2021

Quote:Q. What is the problem with the Philips CPAP machines?

A. Philips says it has received “a limited number” of reports of users complaining of headaches, upper airway irritation, cough, chest pressure, and sinus infection.  After investigation, Philips says it determined that patients exposed to the degradation of the foam also risk much more serious consequences, including “asthma, adverse effects on other organs (e.g., kidney and liver) and toxic carcinogenic effects.”

Q. How did Philips become aware of the problem?

A. Philips says it first discovered the breakdown of the foam and its risks to patients through its own quality management system. After “extensive ongoing analysis,” Philips decided to issue the recall.

Q. How long will it take to fix or replace my machine?

A. It’s been weeks since Philips made its announcement on June 14. And, unfortunately, more delays are likely, given the size of the recall. In reply to questions from me, a Philips spokesman declined to provide a time line, saying the company is “working to address this issue as expeditiously as possible.”

He pointed out Philips has already begun the process of getting approval from the Food and Drug Administration for its repair and replacement program.  

“Right now, all of our attention is focused on starting” that program, the spokesman said.

On its website, Philips says “affected devices may be repaired under warranty.”

Q. How big is Philips’ market share for supplying CPAP machines?

A. Philips, a Dutch multinational with an array of health care technology products and more than $20 billion in annual sales, accounts for about 37% of the CPAP market [worldwide], more than any competitor, according to the firm BCC Research. Philips estimates that as many as 2 million of its CPAP machines are in use in the United States. Other brands of CPAP machines are not affected by the Philips recall.

FOOTNOTES:

(1) The article estimates Philips' world wide market share at 37%.  However, in the U.S., it's market share is closer to 63%.  
Quote:"According to the survey, Philips Respironics currently has 62.8% of the [U.S.] flow generator market. ResMed is the next biggest player with a 32.2% share of the market." [Survey, Home Medical Equipment, Jan 2020]

(2) Although Philips formally says they initiated the recall "after extensive analysis", I think it may be more appropriate to say that it was receiving an ever increasing number of user complaints of black foam particles, especially from an ever increasing number of users using ozone cleaning products.  Then Philips began its "analysis".  The writer should have further asked Philips: 

Where was your "quality management system" and why wasn't there any "extensive analysis"
prior to 2021, during the period between 2009 and 2020,
and most especially when early complaints of "particles" began surfacing?

(3) Philips states that it received "a limited number" of complaints.  Philips doesn't regard end-users as "their customers".  End-users likely sent their complaints to their DME or their Respiratory Therapist.  One could assume that the vast majority of those complaints were not always forwarded to Philips.

(4) The writer quotes Philips as stating that recalled devices "may be repaired under warranty".  That is likely an error as it's our understanding that ALL defective devices will be repaired, whether or not they remain under warranty - unless Philips actual warranty has an allowance for manufacturing defects that extends end-user warranties significantly past the basic 

(5) The many reader comments appended to the Boston Global article show very frustrated and angry Philips device users.  The writer may have contributed to that anger by quoting sources who offer alternative solutions such as "sleeping on your side" and "avoiding alcohol before bedtime".
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2021, 07:21 AM)Robert121571 Wrote: I called Medicare to see if they would pay early and they could not give me a straight answer.

Robert, call your insurance company.  Mine handled the whole thing for me.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2021, 12:16 PM)Deborah K. Wrote: Robert, call your insurance company.  Mine handled the whole thing for me.

Are you on 'Medicare' with a supplement or an Advantage Plan. If on Medicare, did you call your secondary insurance company? It's my understanding with straight Medicare you have to file with them 1st, then they deal with your secondary insurance if/as needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2021, 10:51 AM)cathyf Wrote: I found the discussion that sleeprn launched to be really useful and interesting.

sleeprn -- would you be willing to launch a thread and we can continue over there?

What thread would that be? I tried to stick to the recall topic, relating peoples’ experiences because it has bearing on how we’re being treated in the recall. Is that what you are referring to? Or go ahead and start a thread with your ideas and I’ll join in if I have something to offer. I’m glad you found my post to be of interest.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too was only relating my residual experiences/outcomes from the recall. 

I think I’ll stick to reading.
Post Reply Post Reply
cathyf -  I see your reference to a post made by sleeprn.  If you right-click on the post number (upper right of the post) you have the option to copy the post URL address.  This option name is a little different in various browsers.  It can be something like, "Copy link address", or just, "Copy Link".   This will allow you to paste a direct link to the post you are referencing.   ...School's out!

If you can provide the link to the post, I will be happy to make it a new thread.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,815 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,059 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,603 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,031 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 954 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,196 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.