Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
(07-15-2021, 01:26 PM)MikeE3 Wrote: Are you on 'Medicare' with a supplement or an Advantage Plan. If on Medicare, did you call your secondary insurance company? It's my understanding with straight Medicare you have to file with them 1st, then they deal with your secondary insurance if/as needed.

Our insurance is a Medicare Advantage PPO plan with United Healthcare.  Knowing how long it takes to get to the right person at Medicare I called my insurance company directly.  They took care of everything for me, including setting up and participating in a three-way call with my DME.  My order has been placed and I'm all set.

I hope something similar works out for you too.  Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
PHILIPS SYSTEM WARRANTY DETAILS
Since Philips recently stated in a media interview that it will replace the defective foam "under warranty", here's a description of the Philips' Warranty, taken from the Philips DreamStation 1 manual.  This Philips Recall however does extend well past the two-year ownership period, to devices made as far back as 2009.

Philips has not as yet stipulated whether it will explicitly follow the other terms of its warranty:  (1) shipped to the dealer location, (2) not-transferable to another owner.  I would think they would absolutely have to extend this foam recall through to subsequent non-original owners.  Regarding Philips shipping to the dealer, hopefully this does not mean the "original dealer".  Owners that purchased their machines in 2009 may not have those DMEs anymore.  Also, customers who purchased refurbished units, or units on the secondary markets, may not have any connection to the original DME.

Quote:Philips Respironics, Inc. Warranty

Respironics, Inc. warrants that the system shall be free from defects of workmanship and materials and will perform in accordance
with the product specifications for a period of two (2) years from the date of sale by Respironics, Inc. to the dealer. If the product
fails to perform in accordance with the product specifications, Respironics, Inc. will repair or replace – at its option – the defective
material or part. Respironics, Inc. will pay customary freight charges from Respironics, Inc. to the dealer location only.  

This warranty does not cover damage caused by accident, misuse, abuse, alteration, water ingress, and other defects not related to
material or workmanship. The Respironics, Inc. Service department shall examine any devices returned for service, and Respironics,
Inc. reserves the right to charge an evaluation fee for any returned device as to which no problem is found after investigation by
Respironics, Inc. Service.

This warranty is non-transferable by unauthorized distributors of Respironics, Inc. products and Respironics, Inc. reserves the right to charge dealers for warranty service of failed product not purchased directly from Respironics, Inc. or authorized distributors.

Respironics, Inc. disclaims all liability for economic loss, loss of profits, overhead, or consequential damages which may be claimed to arise from any sale or use of this product.  Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.

This warranty is given in lieu of all other express warranties. In addition, any implied warranties – including any warranty of
merchantability or fitness for the particular purpose – are limited to two years. Some states do not allow limitations on how long an
implied warranty lasts, so the above limitation may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also
have other rights which vary from state to state.

To exercise your rights under this warranty, contact your local authorized Respironics, Inc. dealer or contact Respironics, Inc. at:

1001 Murry Ridge Lane, Murrysville, Pennsylvania 15668-8550   1-724-387-4000
or
Deutschland, Gewerbestrasse 17, 82211 Herrsching, Germany   +49 8152 93060

Note: For Australian and New Zealand customers this warranty replaces the warranty contained above.
<...>
Alternatively, you can make a claim under this warranty by contacting Respironics directly at:

Philips Electronics Australia Limited
65 Epping Road, North Ryde NSW 2113, Australia. Tel: 1300 766 488, Email: prcontact@philips.com
*The above Philips Warranty note for Australians does explicitly state that the Philips Warranty does not override the laws contained in Australia's Consumer Protections Act.  Although it's not expressly stated, one would think that the same would apply for all other countries that have similar government consumer protection laws.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2021, 02:30 PM)Deborah K. Wrote: Our insurance is a Medicare Advantage PPO plan with United Healthcare.  

Advantage Plans work differently than Medicare with a supplement. You deal directly with the Advantage Plan provider and they deal with Medicare. Medicare+Supplement, you have to 1st go to Medicare and they go to the provider. Now I see how you dealt directly with the insurance company.
Post Reply Post Reply
If anyone has had success or made progress towards getting your PR machine replaced via insurance, please post in this thread:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-Successes

We're trying to get updates and/or examples of successful replacement examples for the Recall Wiki article, here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ecall_2021

Thanks
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2021, 06:04 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: We're trying to get updates and/or examples of successful replacement examples for the Recall Wiki article, here: 

Nice Wiki setup.  It'll become a great condensed summary of factual information from credible sources.

Just wondering if the recent FDA notice should be added, or perhaps Wiki summaries must stay international.  There may be other country significant directives that come out in the future that could be added.  Perhaps something like "Country Responses".

Also, Philips DMEs are getting very detailed documents as far as Philips official lab studies, etc.  As we must keep reminding ourselves, we are not Philips' customers - the DMEs are.  It would be great to include those Philips DME letters and reports in the Wiki, if they are submitted.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it would help if when people posted to that thread, they put what the ESTIMATED ARRIVAL DATE is for the new unit or fix if they received a satisfactory response from the DME or the insurance company. I have a feeling a lot of insurance companies or DME’s are going to tell people that all is good, but they’re not promising a delivery time…
Glen in Ft Lauderdale

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2021, 07:03 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: Nice Wiki setup.  It'll become a great condensed summary of factual information from credible sources.

Most of that Recall Wiki article was done by Gideon.  It was his idea and I think it will be very helpful.

Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
"I would add that this also emphasizes problems with the whole compliance issue. What other piece of medical equipment is taken away from folks if they don’t use it?"

Has anyone here reported having their machine taken away if they don't use it? This may not be an actual issue for the vast, vast majority of cpap users. And anyway, who gets a machine and then tosses it in the garage? And if they do...can you imagine the brouhahah in political circles about wasteful government spending if millions of people on medicare are being issued cpap machines and not using them?

Thing are always more complex than what we'd wish.

Again, I doubt the so called cpap police are out rousting folks who didn't use their machine for four hours last night. I doubt the cpap police actually exist. I thought people here hated dme's because of their incompetence and laziness and lack of attention. Suddenly they're out busting folks in the middle of the night for non compliance? I don't think so.

Let's criticize the system for actual infractions.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I was diagnosed 18 months ago with apnea I went through the whole Medicare/blue cross/blue shield thing for a Resmed air 10 and was told that they would pay for it monthly, however if my DME saw I was not using it on a regular basis, I would be responsible for the payments. I didn’t want any of that crap, I didn’t want anybody telling me what I had to do , so I just bought it out right with my own money. Supposedly the DME would monitor my machine through the modem and the MyAir app software with their password. There was never any talk of them coming and taking my machine from me, they would just ruin my credit due to the credit agreement that I signed when they delivered it to me.
Glen in Ft Lauderdale

Post Reply Post Reply
Glen...are you using your cpap machine on a regular basis? You're annoyed, because Medicare expected you to actually use the expensive machine they would provide you at taxpayer expense--for free?

Are you kidding me?

I'm with Kaiser. I bought a brand new Resmed Airsense auto from my dme for $250.00. I was happy to get this machine for that price. Maybe Kaiser takes a loss for this. If so, I could see how they would be annoyed if I never used it.

Should Medicare pay for drugs that we never use? some of those drugs are expensive. should your insurance pay for medical devices that you toss out? I don't think it's "so much crap" if Medicare asks that you actually use the device that they provide you at a loss to taxpayers.

In good conscience, can one take money from someone for medical assistance and then toss it out, saying "no one can tell me what to do?". no.

So, good for you Glen for not wasting taxpayer money. Others don't have the choice of paying for expensive equipment out of pocket.

DME's are not looking to ruin people's credit if they can. They're not evil gremlins trying to ruin lives.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,832 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,070 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,267 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,615 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,058 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 966 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,209 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.