Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
I use my machine virtually every night. I just don’t like anybody monitoring me , and basing it on money. I have no problem with their payment plan, for those that need it. My only point was that they don’t come and take it from you. I’m consistently above a 90 score my incidents are always less than two.
Glen in Ft Lauderdale

Post Reply Post Reply
REMINDER:  Keep this thread ON-TOPIC.

Please don't get into pissing contests about other side-issues not directly related to the PR Recall.

If you want to discuss other side issues privately, take the argument to PMs (Private Messages).

If a member can't abide by this, they will be placed in a 7-day "time-out" period.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
This is a new important report.

The foam problem is in other makes, I found this report at: Philips Dream Station Recall Support Group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/28663627...ent_follow

"Gail D. Burger
I'm not brave enough to open up my DreamStation, but I "autopsied" two older cpaps I still had. Foam in the Phillips REMstar Pro was okay (just a pad at the bottom of the machine) but the Puritan Bennett GoodKnight 420's foam was like that in the photo above, crumbly, oily, sticky, and clearly broken down chemically speaking. I don't know for certain that ANY foam that ANY company has used in these stays intact indefinitely. So just because it "seems alright" now, and not many cases were reported leading up to the recall, it does NOT mean individual machines won't continue foam breakdown. And yes, the design running the air over the foam was idiotic. But I don't really want that junk anywhere near the air pumping into my lungs. "

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
And have you verified the foam is in the air circuit?
And what does this have to do with Philips?
Post Reply Post Reply
I did not as this was written by the poster on that facebook page.

I TRULY feel his report is relevant as the MAIN concern here is the threat to our health.

Not just by Phillips, but any other sleep machine that people may buy or be using to replace the currently KNOWN threat by Phillips.

I have just PM the poster asking for pictures. I will report back here when or if I receive any further evidence.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Move this to a separate thread and you will be fine.
I'd even suggest you start a new thread for your Defoaming of PR machines. I don't endorse it, but I'm sure you noted I referenced it in the ReCall Wiki.

The ONLY things that should be in this thread are those that are directly about the PR Recall. The GoodKnight Info , while Important, has no bearing on the PR ReCall.
Post Reply Post Reply
Note: SuperSleepers post above

Quote:If a member can't abide by this, they will be placed in a 7-day "time-out" period.
This means an Admin must approve the post before it shows for the next 7 days.  
Please make sure your posts in this thread pertain directly to the PR Recall.  Anything else, please start a new thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
POSSIBLE HEALTH ISSUES AS A RESULT OF RECALLED DEVICE USE
All Philips recalled device owners likely qualify for "economic harm" that was brought upon them, as a result of the directive to immediately stop using their system and obtain a replacement device.

"Health-related harm" might be a little more challenging as a result of time (past/present/future) and whether health issues are related to direct or indirect issues listed in the Philips and FDA warning statements.

For those who feel they have already suffered from ill effects related to the problem foam, there's a site that may give you some guidance.  It states:

Quote:
Evaluating Health Related Injuries Related to the Philips System Recall

You have determined that your make and model was recalled, and now you must look for a related injury.  This is no easy task.  The claims here are very new and will doubtless change as experts review the effects of this type of toxic exposure.  As you would expect, experts should be able to link severe lung or respiratory injuries (like pulmonary fibrosis) to inhalation of the PE-PUR particles.  As PE-PUR contains carcinogenic compounds, experts should also be able to link lung, and other cancers.

Again, the science and the claims are in their early stages and it is not yet completely clear which types of cancer can be definitively linked to the use of the recalled devices.  Right now, many different types of cancer are being reviewed by experts.  However, as you would expect, you cannot expect to relate the first use of a recalled CPAP device to being diagnosed with a form of cancer the very next day.

There is a latency period from when you first started using the recalled device, to when you first developed an injury.  Once again, the science and claims are unsettled and different cancers have different latency periods.  Right now, we believe the science is telling us that you will likely have to show at least one year of latency (a year passed between the time you first began using the recalled device and the time you developed an injury).  After that, most forms of cancer will be reviewed by experts to determine a causal link.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another part of the economic harm is if your livelihood is dependent upon it. I was under the impression that if you have a commercial drivers license and are diagnosed with sleep apnea, then you have to prove that you are using your machine in order for your license to be valid. If true, then that's a Big Fat Hairy Deal, as the kids would say!
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had 3 sleep docs in 35+ years. The sleep-doc-from-*ell convinced me that
1. no use=no driver's license. Gone.
2. no use=I surely will die.

I"ve only missed one night in all that time. I stayed up on the Ferry returning from Newfoundland to Nova Scotia; no beds were available. there was a north Atlantic storm. My the aroma on board!
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,847 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,073 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,620 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,065 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,213 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.