Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
I am concerned that the calls for people to limit their posts here have caused comments on the Philips recall to die out completely, after 800+ posts in a month.  This board has been a fantastic source of information and thoughts.  

I agree the thread is getting unwieldy; is the idea to set up a half dozen or so replacement threads? (There was a suggestion on this a couple of weeks ago.)

Also, what are the examples of the kinds of posts that are off topic?  Just about all of the posts have seemed very relevant to me; I have no interest in modifying my machine but would a thread on COVID early last year not have allowed someone to post about how to get alternative hand sanitizers?  In this case, it is the recall that has driven people to take drastic actions because there are limited options for people to stay with their therapy:  they must use an old machine, find a used machine, fiddle with their machine, pay $1000 for a new machine, deal with unresponsive insurance, doctors and suppliers, all while waiting for a "fix" that is not available to solve a problem that has not even been fully described.  

This is all because the manufacturer recall for the US says only one thing very clearly -- if the condition is not life threatening, discontinue use.  Only if it IS a serious condition, do you and your doctor speak of the possibility of continuing its use.  That is a terrible set of dilemmas -- people with less serious apnea have no guidance on what to do and people with serious conditions will be told by their doctors to "consider" using the machine anyway.  Those are terrible choices and result is the chaos we now have.  The thread is just a reasonably calm reflection of the chaos.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2021, 03:28 PM)glenlyon602 Wrote: ...is the idea to set up a half dozen or so replacement threads? (There was a suggestion on this a couple of weeks ago.)

Also, what are the examples of the kinds of posts that are off topic?  

This valuable thread has indeed become a little too all-encompassing, which might be expected given the significance and complexity of the Philips recall.  Earlier on, every post was directly related to the recall.  More recently, after core issues were sufficiently understood, other issues (still a consequence to the Philips recall) began being discussed, but that didn't necessarily relate to all recalled device owners.

For example, the mechanics of dealing with insurance companies could be a separate thread; or pressure differences between Philips and ResMed systems.  It would take some time, but someone could (hypothetically) go through this entire thread and pull out many valuable posts to transfer into several separate new thread subjects.  Perhaps it's now solving itself as separate threads are now beginning to be established.  It would be unfortunate though if some subjects, such as the visually instructive posts on the removal of foam from various Philips devices, might be overlooked as some may be very interested in that process.  I'm not sure that they'd ever find those posted images and diagrams amongst almost 100 pages of posts.

Here are some possible separate subjects, still somewhat related to the Philips Recall:

- Insurance Replacements of Recalled Philips Devices
- Philips Recall Device Foam Removal
- Philips Recall Legal Discussions
- Philips Actions in the Philips Recall
- Foam Use in non-Philips Systems
- etc.

Those specialized discussion threads will be much more valuable to everyone.  Otherwise, it's very difficult for new thread visitors to navigate through a thread with more than 80 pages.

The impact of the Philips Recall is very significant as it may affect 60% of the U.S. PAP user base, and over 37% of the worldwide PAP user community.  The Recall event is made more significant because of users being told to immediately stop using their recalled device, unless told otherwise by their doctor.  

This very general discussion thread will likely now be very event-driven.  Each action and consecutive step by Philips will make for interesting analysis and discussion.  News will develop from other companies too that will likely spark discussions (SoClean, other PAP suppliers, government agencies, etc.).  

We should ask ourselves before posting: "Is this directly related to the Philips Recall or more worthy of a separate thread discussion?"
Post Reply Post Reply
Apnea Board Wiki
Document on Recall

I think it was a great idea after a month of posts to create a document that compiled all relevant information that is been posted in one place. It was getting very time-consuming to go back through posts looking for information. 

I do have several comments to make regarding this document:

Under "What others are doing"
   some patients are attempting to 'de-foam' their DreamStation products
   Please add wording that stresses the extreme health hazards that potentially could occur if 100% of the foam is not removed. These hazards could far worse than leaving the original foam in place.

Under "Timeline"
   You omitted the FDA post on June 30
Post Reply Post Reply
I missed the FDA post, can you point me to it.
On De-Foaming any PAP machine, IMHO DON'T!!! In the US it would be illegal to transfer any De-Foamed PAP machine to another user.
Post Reply Post Reply
- Insurance Replacements of Recalled Philips Devices --  Include in Recall Thread
- Philips Recall Device Foam Removal -- Allowed, but IMHO would be better to be a separate thread, easier to find
- Philips Recall Legal Discussions --  Include in Recall Thread
- Philips Actions in the Philips Recall  --  Include in Recall Thread
- Foam Use in non-Philips Systems  --  Not Related, use a separate thread.  Note a manufacturer RESPONDING to the PR ReCall is OK.
- Foam Removal for a non-PR device, -- while initiated by the PR ReCall No, use a separate Thread.  
- ReCalls from Other Manufacturers -- Start a new Thread
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2021, 11:42 AM)Gideon Wrote: I missed the FDA post, can you point me to it.
On De-Foaming any PAP machine, IMHO DON'T!!!  In the US it would be illegal to transfer any De-Foamed PAP machine to another user.

Certain Philips Respironics Ventilators, BiPAP, and CPAP Machines Recalled Due to Potential Health Risks: FDA Safety Communication | FDA
Post Reply Post Reply
From CTV news (in Canada):
In July, the Canadian Thoracic Society, Canadian Sleep Society and the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists released a joint statement on the recall to help guide physicians, where they noted that “globally, the number of units affected is in the millions.”
The included link is https://cts-sct.ca/wp-content/uploads/20...9_2021.pdf
It's 8 pages, too long to copy in full. In brief, after discussion with their doctor, most patients should continue using the machine until it can be replaced with an unaffected machine, preferably sooner than later.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2021, 12:09 PM)pholynyk Wrote: From CTV news (in Canada):
In July, the Canadian Thoracic Society, Canadian Sleep Society and the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists released a joint statement on the recall to help guide physicians, where they noted that “globally, the number of units affected is in the millions.”
The included link is https://cts-sct.ca/wp-content/uploads/20...9_2021.pdf
It's 8 pages, too long to copy in full. In brief, after discussion with their doctor, most patients should continue using the machine until it can be replaced with an unaffected machine, preferably sooner than later.

Great find to our growing number of information on-line links.........
Post Reply Post Reply
I did not realize that Canadian Health had issued a Recall on the PR products.
Post Reply Post Reply
It was reported that the  recall was due in part to the company having reviewed the results of two studies, reportedly done in 2011 and 2014.

Can someone on this forum point me to the studies mentioned?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,818 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,060 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,604 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,032 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 955 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,200 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.