Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
(07-21-2021, 03:09 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: Yes, I'm very familiar with the FDA report.  The FDA report specifically states IF their "heath care provider determines...".  Please note the use of the word "if" and the implied consultation with a health care provider.

However, the poster (hegel) had stated that the Canadian report said "most users should continue...".  That's a very different statement, which also appears to be incorrect; unless of course most users are first getting the doctor's approval to do so, and all those doctors are authorizing all those users to continue using their recalled Philips device.  

Instead, those doctors will likely first ask themselves: "Is the patient in a life-sustaining situation?", "Is the patient able to get a replacement"?, "Will the wait for a replacement cause more harm that the possible harm from using the defective device?", etc.
OK;

Then we need to say what needs to be said
The way I see it, you have 3 options right now

1. Go out and find a new ResMed
  2. Stop using your Philips product
  3. Continue to use your Philips product
You already know this, and I understand your frustration, but it just makes it harder to live with this problem. You have posted this before, it may take years to start to see anything happen. Then decide what you want to do, and don't look back.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2021, 03:40 PM)btreger Wrote: You already know this, and I understand your frustration, but it just makes it harder to live with this problem. 

I expressed no frustration at all in my posting.  My posted reply comments were to clarify and correct a reference sourced statement quoted by a poster; that's all.

*EDIT: But maybe I drink far too much coffee.  Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Grin 
(07-21-2021, 03:44 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: I expressed no frustration at all in my posting.  My posted reply comments were to correct an erroneous reference statement made by another poster; that's all.

Ok

Take care brother
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, actually I was quoting Pholynyk on apge 83 of this thread, as I mentioned already.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have not used Ozone cleaners for your Dreamstation and system one machines, then you should have anything to worry about because it is apparently the Ozone that disintegrates the foam filter inside and then you can inhale the carcinogenic foam.
Not a biggie:
Ozone?
Yes----------> do not use
No---------> don't worry too much
Post Reply Post Reply
The Canadian Document does instruct CPAP/BiLevel users to keep using it:

Quote:
  • For patients using affected CPAP or Bi-Level devices at night for obstructive sleep apnea, we would advise contacting their physician in a timely fashion to decide on the best course of action and continuing using their device in the meantime.

https://cts-sct.ca/wp-content/uploads/20..._09_21.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO what actions the Canadian document says to take is what I feel the original Philips recall document should have said. Thhis document is meant to provide doctors guidance for this recall.
Basicly that (my paraphrase)
1. these devices are in a recall state.
2. consult with your doctor to determine best path for you, Use the device until then because we realize the significance of many users stopping treatment
3. replace/repair (the recall actions) ASAP, the sooner the better.

I'd add an AB filter as a prevention/detection method for the degrading foam. Note that humidification will decrease the passage of air thru the filter and that your settings may need to be adjusted when using an AB filter.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2021, 08:30 AM)Dog Slobber Wrote: The Canadian Document does instruct CPAP/BiLevel users to keep using it:

• For patients using affected CPAP or Bi-Level devices at night for obstructive sleep apnea, we would advise contacting their physician in a timely fashion to decide on the best course of action and continuing using their device in the meantime.

Steps:
(1) Patient calls doctor quickly/promptly (definition "timely fashion").
(2) Doctor instructs patient on whether or not to continue using their Philips recalled system.
(3) Until a patient receives a definitive response from their doctor, they continue to use their recalled Philips medical device (unless they are able to obtain a non-recalled replacement device in the mean time).

Therefore, the original Philips directive is generally followed and patients have not used their machine until they've first consulted with their doctor.  If they can't communicate with their doctor quickly, and since there are situations where patients are using their devices in life-sustaining situations, they should continue to use their machines for that remaining time until they connect with their doctor.  

So the Canadian document is not a real change from the original Philips document.  It is not informing Canadians that their recalled Philips devices are "safe".  Patients should immediately seek medical approval before determining their best course of action.  It is not telling patients to merely wait for their recalled devices to be fixed or replaced by Philips.  

This recent discussion began as a response to the following post:

(07-21-2021, 01:08 PM)hegel Wrote: I believe that both Engish and Canadian health agencies are recommending people continue using machines until a replacement is available. That suggests that they don't find a high degree of danger exists for most users.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, that was two sentences from a larger post that was itself part of a larger on going discussion. My point was, neither the Brits nor the Canadians have issued urgent "stop use!!" directives. In fact, I'll merely refer again to what appears in Dogslobber's recent post above (as silly as that sounds.)

So, yes, contact your doctor, but while waiting to get through (definition of "in the meantime") continue using the machine. In any case, we all have computers. It's easy to contact my dme or doctor via email.
Post Reply Post Reply
PHILIPS LENGTHY FIX/REPLACEMENT TIME
Quote:"Patients concerned about lack of communication after Phillips CPAP recall"
Tuesday, July 20th 2021

According to Reuters the Philips CEO said
it would likely take a year to repair and replace
the affected CPAPs and Bi-PAPs.

Phillips is suggesting for patients using BIPAP and CPAP machines to
“Discontinue use of affected units and consult with physicians to
determine the benefits of continuing therapy and potential risks.”

"Right now they don't have a solution to the problem and they don't know when they will have a solution to the problem, right now its really just in limbo," said Parker.  

https://www.newschannel9.com/news/local/...pap-recall

What if users follow another organization's blanket advice for all users to continue using their recalled devices until Philips fixes/replaces their devices many months from now?

If the U.S. Veterans Administration tells all their users to continue to use their devices, regardless of each user's situation, until Philips fixes/replaces their device, and after many months some of them should develop lung cancer for example, does that prevent the user from a case against Philips?  

The VA is in a difficult position.  They likely didn't want to authorize 300,000 urgent medical appointments to discuss the severity of each device user.  Regardless of Philips' initial statement, more groups may indeed be advising recalled device users continue to use their recalled devices until Philips provides them with a replacement.  Knowing that will take many months, perhaps even one year, that advice will save money while potentially exacerbating the health consequences of using a device with defective deteriorating foam, created with cancer-causing compounds.  

Here's the advice from the U.S. VA for its 300,000 Philips device users:

Quote:What should Veterans do if they have use Philips Respironics CPAP or BiPAP device?
If you are a Veteran that uses a Philips Respironics CPAP or BiPAP device, continue to use your device as prescribed.  You should register your device at https://www.philipssrcupdate.expertinquiry.com.  Philips Respironics will send you a new device when one is available.  This may take several months.  If you are concerned about using your current device, call your care team or send them a secure message through xxx to schedule an appointment.

Will my CPAP or BiPAP be replaced?

Each patient’s needs are different, and your care team will determine if a CPAP or BiPAP from a different manufacturer will work for you, if a replacement is available, or if PAP therapy is no longer recommended for you.  It is VA’s goal for Veterans who continue with PAP therapy to be provided with a replacement device as soon as possible. VA requests that you register your device through the Philips Respironics Patient Portal.  Philips Respironics will send you a replacement device.  This may take several months.

Philips CPAP Recall - VHA National Center for Patient Safety (va.gov)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,815 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,059 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,603 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,031 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 955 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,198 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.