Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
(08-12-2021, 01:27 PM)SingingSam Wrote: Helena, your father's machine's foam has 3 enemies: unauthorized cleaning methods, heat and humidity.

Discontinue any cleaning method that isn't given in the System One user manual.

Make sure the grey foam intake filter is always clean and thoroughly dry. A dirty filter makes the internal temperature rise. A damp filter raises the internal humidity.

The cooler the room the better. Healthy humidity is between 40% and 60%, which can be monitored with a hygrometer. The closer it is to 40% without going below the better.

If your father travels then keep the machine out of hot car trunks and interiors. If that isn't possible then try putting the machine in a cooler with some "blue ice".

SingingSam, thank you very much. Only place my father travels is to the doctor or the hospital. (Until I work out how to give people miracles. Smile. )
====
Am caring for nonagenarian parents:  one uses a ResMed Airsense 11, and the other a ResMed Astral 150, full face masks, oxygen, humidifiers, modems.

Anyone else caring for very elderly loved ones?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2021, 01:37 PM)Helena Wrote: << above >>

Helena, while you have time to do so (you only get a short time), please "Edit" your above post to include only a minimum of details from the quote that you're replying to.  Otherwise, reading through posts can get extensive.  Just reference a few words or a sentence in your reply.  Sometimes, we only need to use "Reply" instead of "Reply with Quote" too.  If you read through this extensive thread, you'll more fully understand why I'm mentioning it.   Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2021, 01:30 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: It would be great to know Philips' internal flowchart to understand their product replacement priorities.  
Philips will likely have to consider.

I can't imagine how they'll handle older device users,  This recall dates back to 2007-models.  Having a technician fully trained on those particular devices, and knowing that components are more than a decade old now with significant use (along with dirt, dust and faulty foam particles), would seem to be an inefficient process.  I've taken apart old computer boards, card inserts, etc.  It's an awful process and I relented to replacing with new instead.  Perhaps Philips will come to the same conclusion.

One thing that hasn't been brought up yet is that fact that even OLDER machines had this black foam.  I still have a 40,000 hr Remstar Auto circa 1999 that the entire air chamber was made from molded black foam.  Imho, I think they just came up with an arbitrary cut-off, and this does not take into account some people might still be using some of these older devices.
Post Reply Post Reply
OLDER RESPIRONICS MODELS NOT ON THE RECALL LIST
(08-12-2021, 02:31 PM)mrmagloo Wrote: ... even OLDER machines had this black foam...Remstar Auto circa 1999

I have a feeling that the only way to have that resolved is to have that added as yet another item to a class-action legal response.  The various U.S. class-actions will likely all get consolidated.  It shouldn't take much for one of the lawyers to just add it as an item.  

As we know, Philips purchased Respironics in about 2007.  I'm not sure of Philips responsibilities for previous faulty device productions.  I'm not familiar with the conditions behind M&As, and in particular Philips' acquisition.  

However, if I'm not mistaken, didn't someone else post that Philips changed the foam post-2007 (after it's acquisition) to this now faulty-foam?  If that's the case, the older Respironics devices may still have disintegrating foam, just not foam made of components shown to be cancer-causing.

(Could someone please verify.)
Post Reply Post Reply
he money report says 2/3 repaired...1/3 replaced from their money meeting...
Post Reply Post Reply
I would imagine that those still under the original 2 yr warranty will get the new replacements, whatever they are. The rest will probably be a combination of refurbishing and perhaps other options.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OPTIONS
(08-12-2021, 12:50 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: Good for you that you, especially as a non-user (since it's for your dad), for recognizing that as an absurd idea.  The RT should be reported for that false information, but they'll likely now say that you misunderstood.  Besides, you have more important issues at the moment.

You could immediately look into having a post-device filter installed on your dad's machine.  There are other threads here that discuss that option.  There are others here, including myself, that have ordered a replacement device.  Not having insurance for my device purchase is both a curse and a blessing (when it comes to making quick purchases).  I've always thought that it was important to have a backup device anyway.  Besides, you may have read that Philips says it may take up to one year to replace all the affected faulty devices.

You're somewhat part of the second wave of recalled device users that are now more recently finding out about the recall, and that's both better and worse.  It's better because you have such a great deal more information available to study now, although little of it is from Philips.  It's a little worse though as there was/is a real "run" on some products that will help recalled device owners.  So you may need to try a little harder to get some products, whether it's anti-bacterial filters or a replacement device.  

You're in a great place to help your dad, has ApneaBoard's extensive user base might be able to assist with, and guide you through, some solutions.  You'll find many great threads outside of this general thread that may help you too.  We have to be careful that this one thread doesn't become a "catch-all" for everything that might be related to the Philips Recall.  Other threads cover more specialized focused subjects that allow readers to get knowledge and ideas faster, rather than having to go through 1000+ posts and 100 pages.
Post Reply Post Reply
<< above >>

So, it's 2/3rds of the 3-4 million units that will be repaired, while 1/3rd will be replaced.

(ger365, if not too late, please consider editing your above post to avoid duplicating all of a previous post's details.  The Moderators have reminded us in past weeks to avoid extensive duplicate information using the "Reply with Quote".  Great user image, btw.  Thanks.)
Post Reply Post Reply
REPLACEMENTS
(08-12-2021, 03:34 PM)mrmagloo Wrote: I would imagine that those still under the original 2 yr warranty will get the new replacements, whatever they are.  

But their original units (DS1s within 2-year warranties) are still valuable units, being newer design models.  I would think those DS1 devices with foam updates would become great replacements for others.  I could also see them going the other way too.  Newer device owners have newer devices that are easier to fix and return.  Fixing 10-14 year-old machines, of various model-types, won't be easy or always reliable.  

So it's about 1 million users getting new replacements (DS2s, I presume), and about 2 million users getting their devices foam-updated.  I wonder how Philips will work with users who only have one device and can't be without it.  I wonder if they will send units directly to end-users or make end-users go through their place of purchase, or another DME.  Lots of questions and possibilities.

No doubt, Philips has already formulated those answers and decision matrices long ago.
Post Reply Post Reply
From a logic perspective, those with only a few hundred hours should get the most replacement 'Value'.  If they are to give out NEW machines, should they not be the best recipients over those with say ten thousands hours?  I'm of the opinion that they will probably want some of the machines back, and it certainly makes sense to refurbish those of greatest value and utility. That said, not much of anything they have done makes sense, and debating what they might do is probably an exercise in futility.  It would however be nice if they spelled it out so people can decide what works best for them.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 40 1,195 Yesterday, 02:28 PM
Last Post: MaggieL
  LongDaysPleasantNights' Therapy Thread LongDaysPleasantNights 4 118 04-21-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 31 1,443 04-20-2024, 07:27 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 56 5,077 04-18-2024, 02:51 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,235 04-17-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 750 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 859 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.