Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
(08-26-2021, 02:15 PM)Zalagar Wrote: They will most likely swap the chamber, blow out the turbine in the blower fan, and re-assemble it and shoot it back to us. 

Thanks. Your explanation and the video make a lot of common sense. That probably means Philips will do just the opposite whatever that could be.
Post Reply Post Reply
Zalagar, thank you for the video link.

Nick (I think that's his name) is a little confusing in this video.

The first foam he shows which is black with 3 holes is from a System One. This foam is representative of the foam in the DreamStation 1.

The second foam he shows (donut-shaped) is from a ResMed AirSense 10.

The third foam is from a DreamStation 2, and this white foam is not affected by the recall.

The only foam that is relevant to the recall is the first foam that Nick presented.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SERVICE REPAIR PROCESS
(08-26-2021, 12:28 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: Will a truck driver or pilot need to take that time off work?  

Yes, pilots and commercial truck drivers must show treatment compliance to stay on the job as per DOT and FAA rules. And a judge will decide if Philips is liable for their lost wages. 

https://www.classaction.org/media/shelto...illips.pdf

https://www.truckersnews.com/life/articl...leep-apnea

Gerry Shelton, a truck driver based in Boring, Oregon, filed a class action lawsuit on June 29 against Philips seeking a refund, replacement with a non-defective device, costs for ongoing medical monitoring, and all other appropriate damages for all the injuries he has suffered as a result of his defective device.

According to the lawsuit, Shelton was diagnosed with sleep apnea and purchased a Philips Dreamstation BiPAP machine in 2020. Because of the recall, he allegedly was forced to stop using the machine, the lawsuit states, which also forced him to stop driving a truck “because he cannot drive with untreated sleep apnea.” The lawsuit also claims Shelton went into atrial fibrillation (increased and irregular heartbeat) as a result of not using the machine.

The lawsuit alleges that Philips knew about the risks associated with the foam in its devices well before the recall was issued. It also claims that “Philips timed its recall of the recalled breathing machines to coincide with the launch of its next generation of products, which purportedly do not suffer from the same PE-PUR foam issues. Thus, the only safe option that Philips offers to its customers – many of whom need and rely on the recalled breathing machines – is to purchase Philips’s newer model, thus profiting Philips further.”

Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2021, 03:16 PM)SingingSam Wrote: The only foam that is relevant to the recall is the first foam that Nick presented.

Exactly:

I can see Philips lawyers already adding that video to their defense documents

It also could present a problem for a DreamStation 1 owner if they used an Ozone cleaner and get the call to return their machine, and when Philips sees the foam as it looks in the video, they might reject it. We told you not to use Ozone cleaners.
Post Reply Post Reply
"I can see Philips lawyers already adding that video to their defense documents."

That is a possibility.

Questions that might generate debate in a courtroom:
1. Were ozone cleaning machines already on the market when the first generation of recalled machines were being designed?
2. Were ozone cleaning machines already on the market when DreamStation 1 was being designed?
3. Could Philips reasonably have anticipated the use of ozone cleaning machines?
4. Should Philips have more prominently displayed warnings about ozone cleaners in user manuals and other materials?

Much will hinge on the issue of what would a reasonable and prudent company do at the time the machines were designed and sold.

It was already established years before any of these machines were made that PE PUR foam will break down simply by exposure to heat and humidity. Was Philips reasonably diligent about considering known biohazards arising from ordinary use?

I expect Philips' courtoom fortunes will vary from country to country. The law in the USA generally protects the strong against the weak. Other countries may favor consumers over profit-driven corporations.
Post Reply Post Reply
Talked to my DME about my DreamStation. I was told that its safe for me to continue using it if i keep the humidity and heat low and not use any ozone machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
Buggy, please ask them what is the basis for that opinion which is against what PR states.
Post Reply Post Reply
"Talked to my DME about my DreamStation. I was told that its safe for me to continue using it if i keep the humidity and heat low and not use any ozone machines."

This is the kind of wishful thinking that concerns me.

At this point the only truly safe option is to replace the machine with a model that isn't recalled.

One cannot get the heat and humidity low enough to stop hydrolysis from happening.

Anyone who says that continued use will be safe under any circumstances should be asked, "Will you compensate me if your assurance proves later to be unfounded?"
Post Reply Post Reply
" This is the kind of wishful thinking that concerns me. "

I would be looking for a different DME supplier that bothers to keep pace with current info.
If that isn't the issue, then perhaps they dont mind a little fib to just shoosh the customer out the door.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't see how they could expect a user to box up a unit, ship it, wait for it to be repaired etc.
They might cross ship someone else's freshly refurbished unit (same or similar model), or cross-ship a loaner until you get your original one back.
Personally, I would love to have them just send me a new airbox for a DIY. I intend on keeping my old one as evidence, complete with it's pile of little black bits. Obviously, they wont ship out airboxes for DIY due to the liability aspect.. but I can dream can't I ?
Re: Blowing out the blower during repair.. I dunno, I have some black film near the blower exit hole that I figure is also coating the inside of the blower case. I dont think that's going to just blow out. They better be replacing blowers too.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 56 4,930 3 hours ago
Last Post: btreger
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,213 Yesterday, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 37 1,073 04-16-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 556 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 815 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1
  [Treatment] Valtor Therapy Thread - from Autoset to Vauto Valtor 50 1,367 04-12-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 34 2,766 04-08-2024, 03:26 PM
Last Post: IanD

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.