Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
PHILIPS PROVIDING SOME DS1 UNITS AS REPLACEMENTS
(10-22-2021, 02:58 PM)chasmm Wrote: It seems to be the first "known" instance of someone getting a DS1 as part of Philips replacement program.
Quote:[External Site Reference Posting]  "If anyone has received this type of replacement from Philips and has reason to believe that it is safer than the recalled unit I would be interested in hearing the basis for your belief (other than that Philips has said this replaces the existing one).  Oh, and I have no intention of mailing back the recalled unit (i.e., relinquishing evidence proving that I am a member of the yet-to-be-filed class action suit against Philips)..."

Thank you so very much for that chasmm.  You already know that your posting represents a major news update for the Philips Recall timeline.  

I'm so curious about whether Philips is only responding at the moment to "active" Recall owners - meaning those that are "current" (frequent updaters of their sleep data to the Philips Cloud).  From the above YouTube video posting from btreger (video) it may be that Philips is ignoring (temporarily or permanently) those Recalled Device Owners who aren't "current" - assuming instead that those owners have "shelved" their systems.  I find that disturbing and blatantly negligent.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
My real curiosity about this centers on "how" Philips is deciding to replace/repair/whatever units. I tried to map out the potential scenarios, and it quickly becomes very convoluted, although I know I could if I really wanted to.

To replace a unit, Philips has to know about it. There are two obvious ways - it was registered as part of the recall, or in Dreammapper. A less obvious might be some type of reporting from DMEs back to Philips

Is the user still using it (as evidenced in Dreammapper)? If so, a replacement is more urgent. From that point, a lot of divergent possibilities happen based upon Dreammapper usage or not.
  • What if someone registered their unit for the recall and bought their own DS2 (I fall into this category)?
  • What if someone registered their unit for the recall and bought their own DS2 (me) but also has a DS Go for travel (also me)?
And:
  • What if someone registered their unit for the recall and is still using it, but never used or stopped using Dreammapper?
  • What if someone registered their unit for the recall and moved to another brand?
And these scenarios don't begin to cover all of them, even for just the CPAP/APAP options. I may be naive but I refuse to believe that Philips is just replacing machines willy-nilly. There must be some sort of logic...and I feel certain that Dreammapper has to be a part of it, which as others have pointed could leave a lot of Philips owners left out.

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if this adds anything or not:

From The FDA

Q: Who is responsible for correcting the issue with the affected Philips Respironics devices? (Updated 9/10/21)
A: The recalling firm, Philips Respironics, is fully responsible for correcting the issue and developing a recall strategy that takes into account the following factors as they apply to this particular recall:

Results of health hazard evaluation.
Ease in identifying the product.
Proactively identifying customers affected by the recall. 
Quantity of the available product that is not in use.
The continued availability of essential products.

It would be nice to see some real action from the FDA, not just talk and articles...
Post Reply Post Reply
Certainly they have a method, but even disclosing it leads to problems.

But I figure they started with newer DS1s possibly favoring ozone users. That gets a supply of relatively new DS1s to repair and send out.

Slowly working to replace progressively older machines with slightly newer machines. I expect some System Ones 60s to get replaced with DS1s once all (most) DS1s have been replaced.

That allows new production to provide machines to new users. Important since supply of new machines is virtually nill.
Post Reply Post Reply
I saw a posting where someone received a refurbished DS1 APAP (500 series) machine. They will be checking the hours and posting the results.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another report of receiving a DS1 replacement
I've seen another "received a DS1" post of FB. The text is below, along with a few pictures of the machine/paperwork.

Couple of points:
  • The date of the machine is 2021-09-07
  • The paperwork received says "Dreamstation 2" but the machine is clearly a DS1
[Image: 247531588_1124336604768695_2458638996361...e=619BD14C]
Quote:Received my husbands replacement today, paperwork says Dreamstation 2, but it’s just a Dreamstation. I don’t know if it’s new or refurbished. Not sure about sending the old one back as my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 mandible cancer April 2020 and not sure if it’s related to use of his Dreamstation.

Another post on FB reported that someone had received an email from their DME saying their replacement DS2 was ready for pickup and in order to get it, the patient would need to bring in their recalled machine and turn it in. They had a screenshot of the email from the DME that I could post if anyone were interested.

And finally...for now...there's a Youtube video about the person receiving the DS1...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1yxzcjw7QM
Post Reply Post Reply
This morning I received a Dreamstation AutoBiPAP replacement for my recalled machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Philips Recall Repairs - Is Your Recall Replacement Refurbished?

In the first 4 months of the Philips recall, we have only seen new DreamStation 2 devices shipped. We are entering a new stage in the recall where we will now be able to see replacement DreamStation 1 units shipped. 

The question remains... What exactly are these DreamStation 1 machines? Are they brand newly manufactured devices with new foam or are they perhaps recalled returned units from those that have received DS2 machines that have then been refurbished and sent back out as recalled replacements?

See Nicko's video on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1yxzcjw7QM
Post Reply Post Reply
HME News

PHILIPS AWAITS RESULTS OF FURTHER TESTING

AMSTERDAM, the Netherlands – Philips expects to share additional research and test data on patient risk from recalled CPAP devices and ventilators in the fourth quarter. 

“When we announced the recall, we acted on the assumption of a worst-case clinical impact scenario assessment related to the foam issues based on the test data and information available at that point of time,” said Franz van Houten, CEO, during a conference call on Oct. 18 to discuss the company’s latest financial results. “We continue with further research and testing to better scope any potential patient risk and are getting expert assessments on these. We aim to make this information available to the authorities and health care providers as soon as possible, which is still anticipated in the fourth quarter.” 

https://www.hmenews.com/article/philips-...er-testing
Post Reply Post Reply
Btreger,

If you have a question for me, ask me.  Don't expect me to read your mind.

Be nice.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,810 11 hours ago
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,057 11 hours ago
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,258 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,603 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,026 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 950 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,193 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.