Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
PHILIPS UPDATE LETTER
<< above >> 

PHILIPS:  We anticipate the repair and replacement program in the US will take approximately September 2022 to complete.

Clarification

"anticipate" = September 2022 is merely an estimated guess for the "completion" of the program (from Philips' point of view)

"in the U.S." = no estimates are provided for other countries, though they may received separate letters

"repair and replacement program" = one can NOT assume that a Recall Confirmation Code guarantees that you will get a repair or replacement; it only confirms that you've provided a valid serial number for a device listed in their Recall Program; if Philips considers your device "inactive" (shelved, replaced, upgraded), then repairing or replacing it will be at Philips' sole discretion (you're not a priority to say the least)

PHILIPS:  Thank you for your continued trust.

Clarification

"your continued trust" = Recalled Device Owners have never stated that they have trust in Philips' ability to completely resolve all issues related to its faulty defective foam-based medical devices; trust was never granted
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
"...if Philips considers your device "inactive" (shelved, replaced, upgraded), then repairing or replacing it will be at Philips' sole discretion (you're not a priority to say the least)"

WakeUpTime, I don't understand how Philips could make such a determination or how Philips could be free legally and otherwise to un-recall a qualified device that has been registered for the recall.

The simple fact of registration indicates the owner's active interest in having the device repaired or replaced.

A registered device not in use could be inactive because the owner has followed Philip's instructions and discontinued use. How would Philips know whether the inactivity has been due to owner compliance with Philips instructions or due to owner replacement with a non-recalled device?

As others have mentioned, there are many devices that have no presence on the cloud even when in use. This adds to the challenge Philips would have to make accurate determinations.

Have you seen something from Philips stating that they reserve the right to un-recall any registered device due to lack of use or for any other reason? Have I missed an announcement?

Wouldn't such a move by Philips just beg for regulatory intervention, civil court action and negative publicity?
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow.. I guess I've been living under a rock.

I just learned of this recall, and my machine is impacted by it.  If it wasn't for an email from this forum I would have never known.  Nobody reached out to me about this device :-/

I just registered my machine.

Thanks everyone
Post Reply Post Reply
Philips E-Mail

Yesterday I posted the full email:

Some takeaways from that;

I have a DS GO, that has been recalled and registered and shelved going on for 2 years. This was done due to Covid, no overnight travel. Philips would have no knowledge of this.

There are no new DS2 GO machines being manufactured. So, if I receive anything from Philips, I would expect a small box with new foam and an IKEA installation guide.

I will keep you updated.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2021, 09:57 AM)btreger Wrote: Philips E-Mail

I have a DS GO, that has been recalled and registered and shelved going on for 2 years. This was done due to Covid, no overnight travel. Philips would have no knowledge of this.

Did you use Dreammapper with your DS Go? If so, then Philips would know your last usage...

I also have a DS Go, which I've been using when car-traveling to help with closing out my late FIL's house, which has required a few multi-week stays. 

I want to either receive a refurbed DS Go (I understand the hate about refurbed, and I guess it comes down, for me at least, to whether I would trust the refurb process), or either a box in which I can ship my DS Go to Philips for refurb. I'd be less happy at the prospect of having to do it myself with a Philips supplied kit but if that were my only option, I could.

Having purchased the battery and humidifier attachment for the DS Go, I'm definitely not interested in a DS2 replacement of it. That's what I expect I'll get for my recall-registered DS1 and possibly my recall-registered System One.
Post Reply Post Reply
PHILIPS DETERMINING ACTIVE VS. INACTIVE USERS IN RECALL
(11-18-2021, 01:37 PM)SingingSam Wrote: I don't understand how Philips could make such a determination or how Philips could be free legally and otherwise to un-recall a qualified device that has been registered for the recall. 

Pulled that from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmGy7_khBF0 [Video Title: "The Philips Recall Just Doubled! 10,000,000 Machines Affected"] when "CPAP Reviews" discussed the Philips CEO interview with the Financial Times.  Video information and link posted previously by btreger [thanks for that].  

In essence, the Philips CEO has stated that, even though you "qualify" for the recall, Philips is going to determine if you're currently active with your recalled device, and whether your device usage is still within a 5 year window (U.S. device owners). That should reduce the number of replacements/fixes considerably, or allow Philips to significantly delay specific fixes/replacements.  However, that likely will not ultimately hold up in class-action lawsuits.  That limitation could also cause additional conflicts with the U.S. FDA - only if those owners inform them of this Philips inappropriate action.  Recalled device owners/users should voice their concerns with their local agencies to ensure Philips is addressing its defective device issues properly.

Quote:
[Analysis of Philips CEO Financial Times Interview]
-
"Just because you registered your device for the recall, doesn't mean it will be accepted.
According to old mate Frans Van, if you haven't been using your device then your claim will be rejected."

Go to 3:30 in the video.

Quote:
Philips CEO in his Financial Times Interview
-
"Just because you've registered for the Recall doesn't mean that you qualify.
Philips needs to determine whether you were actually using your device
or whether you had just taken it out of the cupboard and put it on the registration list."

Also...

Quote:
Interview with Philips CEO Frans van Houten
Financial Times, October 18, 2021

https://www.ft.com/content/0933b1c3-d185...292b4b7440
-
"Philips is only replacing devices still in use within their lifetime, which is about five years in the US."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PHILIPS DETERMINING ACTIVE VS. INACTIVE USERS IN RECALL
(11-19-2021, 01:59 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: Pulled that from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmGy7_khBF0 [Video Title: "The Philips Recall Just Doubled! 10,000,000 Machines Affected"] when "CPAP Reviews" discussed the Philips CEO interview with the Financial Times.  Video information and link posted previously by btreger [thanks for that].

Go to 3:30 in the video.

Also...

"Philips is only replacing devices still in use within their lifetime, which is about five years in the US."

If Philips doesn't change that time frame and continues to delay shipments of new products that could mean that thousands of people that desperately need a replacement will no longer qualify for one. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hate to post a question that is probably covered in the wiki or other topics,  but there is quite a bit of related info, and I didn't  see anything  similar to my thoughts.
I have received a replacement for one of my machines, I have two which were covered in the recall (don't know which one it replaced).
My original Dreamstation seemed to be a solid, professional product. While I have not used the Dreamstation 2 auto yet, I am curious, is this a straight out replacement or a temporary machine while my original Dreamstation is being serviced?
I don't mean to question it's quality but it seems to be a cheaper design.
Post Reply Post Reply
Philips Release Form

Dear Sir/Ma'am,

This is with reference to the _______________purchased by me vide invoice no.____dated______, purchased through___________carrying serial no._________ ("old Equipment").

That Philips has refunded the requisite amount of INR_____________of the Equipment vide credit note (Reference no._____) dated___________.

I hereby acknowledge the receipt of the refund by me and confirm that I will return the old Equipment to Philips representative on_____.
By accepting the above-stated refund, I confirm that this is a reasonable amount, and I release and discharge Philips of any past, present, or future actions, causes of action, suits, claims, and demands of any kind arising in relation to the Equipment.

This release shall be fully binding, and I (including my successors or assigns or affiliates) shall not make any further claims, of whatsoever nature, (including both civil and criminal) against Philips and/or its employees, affiliates, group entities, agents, or any third party with respect of this Equipment.

I further state that the terms of this letter have been carefully read, understood, and are voluntarily accepted by me for the purpose of making a full and final compromise and I release Philips of any and all claims, whether disputed or otherwise.

Thanks, and Regards

Customer Name and Signature

Mobile No and Address
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess I’m going to give up then. Took Philips’ advice, stopped using it, am back to my original Remstar Pro auto which I had dropped and the blower had an issue… which self resolved somehow… I received an email from Philips Australia which said, in effect, we’ll get round to it sometime. Time to switch to something else. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,860 03-27-2024, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,086 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,271 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,624 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,258 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 970 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,219 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.