Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
I’ve had to step away for a while with regard to following up on the matter. 

I’m still without a replacement. Only the occasional email - including the one about the study. 

How unusual is that by now for U.S.-based patients? At this point, is the exception or the rule to have obtained a replacement machine?

Thanks much.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sora....  Registered my Dreamstation 1 on 7/1/2021. Received a Dreamstation 2 on 10/10/2021 and have been using since. If you're using the Dreamstation 1 as a BiPAP you will not get a Dreamstation 2, so the times may be different.
Post Reply Post Reply
Now that you can get a new casing through Amazon I am wondering how many people will decline to return their existing DS1s? 

Given that I understand the replacements are either a "locked" DS2 of questionable quality or a refurbed DS1 it seems to me that I will be keeping my existing unit and sending back the replacement if it ever comes. 

I have a DS GO which was simple to remove the foam and replaced the internal casing on my DS1. At least this way I know my unit's histories. I put in (my details to Philips on the recall) mid last year for both my units but haven't heard boo from Philips, so I am certainly leaning that way.
Post Reply Post Reply
In case you guys aren't paying attention, it might be worth joining the Oscar Beta group if you have a DS2. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...n-2-Status I have seen full Oscar data in the DS2, all models.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
NEWS MEDIA UPDATE
Adding to the earlier posted media report posted by btreger regarding Philips' now including the Trilogy Evo ventilators in its recall...

"U.S. FDA labels Philips expanded ventilator recall as most serious"
Reuters | January 26, 2022
https://www.reuters.com/business/healthc...022-01-26/

Quote:"We have already reached the majority of affected customers and we will correct this issue via a repair (replacement of the foam) on site in the coming months" a company spokesperson said in an emailed statement to Reuters.  This is the latest recall by Philips to be labeled Class 1 after it pulled back up to 4 million breathing-aid machines last year amid concerns that a polyurethane foam used in the devices could degrade and become toxic.

Earlier this month, the company raised that estimate by 1 million.  
[https://www.reuters.com/business/philips-q4-earnings-hit-by-part-shortages-ventilator-recall-2022-01-12/]

A Philips supplier had incorrectly used a type of polyurethane foam, which is intended to reduce sound and vibration, in one of the parts of the Trilogy Evo ventilators - an issue that was identified during lab testing, the regulator said on Wednesday.  The supplier used polyester-based polyurethane foam instead of a polyether-based one which is specified for these products and meets all applicable standards, Philips said in the email.  The polyester-based foam could break down and potentially enter the device's air pathway, leading to the user inhaling chemicals or other harmful materials, the FDA said.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2022, 08:03 PM)StratCat48 Wrote: Sora....  Registered my Dreamstation 1 on 7/1/2021. Received a Dreamstation 2 on 10/10/2021 and have been using since. If you're using the Dreamstation 1 as a BiPAP you will not get a Dreamstation 2, so the times may be different.

I'm using it as a standard CPAP (APAP?) machine, for lack of the proper term. Appreciate the info. Glad you got it quickly. I registered pretty quickly too.

(01-27-2022, 08:10 PM)Dafod Wrote: Now that you can get a new casing through Amazon I am wondering how many people will decline to return their existing DS1s? 

This is the first I've heard of casing. Would you mind linking to the product on amazon or the terms to search for it? Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Foam Filter Compatible with Dreamstation, Sound Abatement Foam Component, Medihealer Sound Abatement Foam,Great Value Kit Supplies by Medihealer. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09J2BT3C8/ref...UTF8&psc=1
Post Reply Post Reply
According to the seller’s Q&A, the replacement chamber does not fit the bilevel DS1 machines. The  turbine assembly in the advanced machines is physically larger.  If you have the CPAP or Auto CPAP it will fit.
Post Reply Post Reply
HME News

PHILIPS: ‘WE ARE VERY INTENT ON GETTING BACK IN PLAY’

AMSTERDAM, the Netherlands – Philips expects to be better able to provide guidance on when it will start recovering its market share in the sleep and respiratory market this summer, says CEO Frans van Houten. 

“We are very intent on getting the sleep business back in play and have a team working on the recovery of the business as we speak.” 

That team comprises more than 1,000 people working under the leadership of Roy Jakobs, a member of the executive committee, van Houten says. 

Philips has targeted shifting the mix of replacements and repairs from 70-30 to 50-50.

Philips has been named in about 100 class action lawsuits and about 120 personal injury lawsuits related to the recall. 

Philips: ‘We are very intent on getting back in play’ | HME News
Post Reply Post Reply
Received the following email today from Philips (below).  Wondering what specifically does this mean?

Quote:[Image: image.jpg?v=undefined]

We’re writing to you with two important updates about your recalled Philips device.* As always, thank you for your continued patience as we work hard to ensure as many patients as possible can continue safely with their therapy. Our first update is to inform you of the initial test results around the possible emission from the sound abatement foam. Our second update is to let you know how we are planning to prioritize remediation around the needs of patients.

1. Test results of volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
    The testing program, which we have carried out together with independent clinical experts and certified laboratories, indicates that exposure to the level of VOCs identified to date for the first-generation DreamStation devices is not typically anticipated to result in long-term health consequences. If you do not use a first-generation DreamStation device, please be assured that we will update you as soon as we receive more results from the ongoing program.**  These findings support a better understanding of the long-term impact on health but do not change the current course of our recall.  Our most recently updated guidance for all patients can be viewed here; we are continuing the recall efforts as planned.

1. Order processing
    To make sure patients with the greatest needs receive a replacement device as timely as possible, we will be prioritizing remediation efforts around certain patients as requested by the Food & Drug Administration.  For US patients whose remediation is directly managed by Philips, data collected throughout the patient registration process will be used to help to prioritize remediation of those patients at higher risk. In addition to this prioritization, the shipment of replacement devices happens as inventory is available, and Philips collects the information needed to transfer existing therapy settings to the replacement unit.
In the coming weeks, you will receive an email that outlines the option to provide additional prioritization information. The types of information you may provide include: your age; whether you have any other health conditions including obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and its severity; whether you are pregnant or have an occupation associated with public safety; your history of car accidents related to falling asleep while driving; and whether you have used ozone for device cleaning purposes. 

We understand the period of uncertainty this creates and thank you for your patience. We will continue to provide regular updates to you through this process.

In the meantime, as a reminder, your device registration confirmation number is [redacted for privacy].  
Thank you for your continued trust.

*Voluntary recall notification in the U.S. / field safety notice outside of the U.S.
**Additional testing and research is ongoing, including: Assessment of the health risks associated with VOC emission of the CPAP, BiPAP and Mechanical Ventilator devices affected by the recall notification; assessment of the health risks associated with possible degraded foam particulates for all affected devices; assessment of the health risks associated with exposure of the devices to repeated ozone cleaning.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 55 4,873 6 hours ago
Last Post: btreger
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,191 7 hours ago
Last Post: freakyfrog
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 37 1,062 Yesterday, 06:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 527 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 811 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1
  [Treatment] Valtor Therapy Thread - from Autoset to Vauto Valtor 50 1,361 04-12-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 34 2,758 04-08-2024, 03:26 PM
Last Post: IanD

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.