Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
What are the lawsuits stating the foam did to one's body? I used the DreamStation for 3.5 years before it was recalled. One huge change to my body that I see... my Heart Calcium score went from 200 to 858 over that 4 year period. I assume that has nothing to do with the Dreamstation?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2022, 03:23 PM)MoveUp Wrote: What are the lawsuits stating the foam did to one's body?  I used the DreamStation for 3.5 years before it was recalled.  One huge change to my body that I see... my Heart Calcium score went from 200 to 858 over that 4 year period.  I assume that has nothing to do with the Dreamstation?

I would file a lawsuit before you assume anything good about the Dreamstation.  Attorneys will take your case for FREE if you used a Deathstation and have any of these conditions:

• Cancer, Lymphoma, Leukemia or Tumors
  • Pulmonary Fibrosis
  • Interstitial Lung Disease (ILD)
  • Pulmonary Fibrosis
  • Sarcoidosis
  • Pneumoconiosis
  • Auto-Immune Disorders
  • Chronic Asthma
  • Chronic Bronchitis
  • Recurrent Pneumonia
  • Hypersensitivity
  • Kidney Disease
  • Liver Disease
  • Heart Attack
  • Heart Failure
  • Stroke
  • Wrongful Death

Furthermore there is proof that philips/respironics executives actions were negligent and possibly criminal. In which case anyone who used an illegally marketed respironics device has been harmed.

In November the FDA discovered internal company emails which prove that executives at Philips were aware of safety issues with the PE-PUR Foam back in 2015. This means that Philips had knowledge of the problem but chose to do nothing about it for 6 years.

One of the key elements to holding Philips liable in any future product liability lawsuits for injuries caused by their recalled CPAP devices will be establishing that Philips had actual or constructive knowledge. If future plaintiffs can prove that Philips knew (or reasonably should have known) about the problems and health risks with their recalled CPAP devices for a long period of time before the recall, then Philips can be held liable for negligent failure to warn. The FDA has the proof. The cases against philips-respironics are going to be nothing-but-net three pointers for the plaintiffs.

Get well soon and sue the living daylights out of this evil entity. How the heck could they ever defend their position?
Post Reply Post Reply
<< RE: above >>

Excellent summary of the situation.  

The one year anniversary to Philips' April 26, 2021 official defective product announcement is quickly approaching, with most defective xPAP devices remaining un-fixed/un-replaced.  Philips doesn't seem to be meeting its initial commitment:

Quote:[Philips | April 2021]

"We cannot stress enough that Philips is treating this matter with the highest level of seriousness and is dedicating significant time and resources to address this issue.  Our intention is to give affected patients and customers the service they expect and deserve as we resolve this matter as our top priority."

More law firms seem to be advertizing the situation regarding the recalled Philips faulty carcenogenic foam in almost all prior Philips ventillators.  At the very least, that'll help communicate the news to those who might not already be aware of it.  

One could either link up with a local firm that likely can easily link in with the main 4 firms involved in the class action, or start directly with one of those 4 lead firms.

Quote:"Four attorneys from Levin Sedran & Berman, Seeger Weiss, Lynch Carpenter, and Chimicles Schwartz Kriner & Donaldson-Smith will lead the multidistrict litigation in Pittsburgh's federal court over allegedly defective foam inside Philips sleep-apnea machines and respirators."

[Legal News | Febuary 17, 2022]

A quick search will likely find a quick contact form for each of them.  One of their administrators will likely follow-up with a few brief questions just to categorize everyone by their situation.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update on Philips recall portal
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but the Philips portal has some additional (at least to my knowledge) info available.

You can see the steps involved in the recall/replacement, and find out where your machine(s) is/are in that process. It's probably not anything more than we all suspected or knew, but it's explained fairly well.

The steps are:

1. Registration
  2. Matching Your Registration to Your DME
  3. Prioritization
  4. Processing Your Order
  5. Keeping You Updated
  6. Device Replacement Delivery
  7. Returning Your Affected Device
There are also ways to check your status and see where you are in the process. For example, I have three (3) machines on recall (System One, DS1, DS Go). Only one was purchased through a DME (System One), the other two were bought outright by me online. All 3 are registered, but Philips can only match 1 of the 3 to a DME. 

For the devices not matched to a DME, this is from the Philips site:

Quote:There are several steps between registration and order placement, including matching patient device registrations to durable medical equipment provider (DME) registrations.

At this time, your registration has not yet been matched.

Why does Philips match registrations?
You can find more information about registration matching and the overall remediation process here.

What's next?
We have a team actively working with our DMEs to match patient registration serial numbers to the DMEs that sold the device. While there's no additional action required of you, you can reach out to both Philips and your DME with questions.

What happens if my device isn't matched to a durable medical equipment provider?
Philips will still remediate your device, but we may reach out to you for additional information that would normally be supplied by your DME.

At any rate, I found it helpful...even if I still may waiting "until the end of 2022" for my replacements. 

Sigh...
Post Reply Post Reply
So I checked the new portal. Surprisingly they matched my PRS1 to a DME (maybe the doctor that sold it?).

I see a prioritization button now.
That for gathering the new info they mentioned in the email gne end of Jan.

Would have been nice if they had sent an email, saying it was available.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Update on Philips recall portal
(03-09-2022, 11:14 AM)chasmm Wrote: I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but the Philips portal has some additional (at least to my knowledge) info available.

Thanks chasmm - I went ahead and updated the original post of this thread with that link, and also updated the Philips Recall Wiki article with this information, here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...te_Actions

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
WebMD

This is for everyone that is waiting on a replacement device or is still unable to purchase a new one. Having the right insurance would also be a factor. With no new information to post on, this will at least give you something to read and think about. 

Special Mouthguard May Be Alternative to CPAP for Sleep Apnea

WEDNESDAY, March 9, 2022 (HealthDay News) -- Folks with sleep apnea are typically prescribed a CPAP machine to help them get a good night's sleep, but there's an alternative to the clunky, noisy devices that are growing in popularity.

Oral appliances similar to mouthguards -- called mandibular advancement devices (MADs) -- have been shown to work as well as CPAP in treating sleep apnea for many patients, experts say.

MADs have "become a growing part of our practice. We routinely recommend and offer the oral appliance as one of the options for treatment of sleep apnea," said Dr. Jing Wang, an assistant professor of sleep medicine at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York City.

Special Mouthguard May Be Alternative to CPAP for Sleep Apnea (webmd.com)
Post Reply Post Reply
Tried it, didn’t work for me. Also very expensive.
Post Reply Post Reply
My dentist offered to make me a custom mouth guard. You know. Not too different than the ones you heat up in hot water and then fit them to your teeth for somewhere south of $100. Only his custom one was ONLY going to be $6,500.

I had to look for a mirror to see if “STUPID” was tattooed across my forehead.

We now have a new dentist. No kidding.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2022, 10:08 PM)sawinglogz Wrote: Tried it, didn’t work for me. Also very expensive.

Mandibular advancement devices mess up your teeth and jaw.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,818 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,060 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,604 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,032 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 955 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,200 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.