Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: FDA Letter
(04-07-2022, 08:15 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: You sure can write great letters.  You hit many important issues without it being too lengthy, making it easier for him to come up with any kind of action plan.  Thanks for doing that as it helps everyone.

Thanks, but Tom Wilson really deserves all the credit. At first, I thought it would be great if we all sent the good Dr. our own e-mails. I changed my mind and decided a single e-mail that represented all of us would work better. 

I cannot think of anyone better to do that than you.  You have been working on this from the very start of this thread and have spearheaded many independent efforts to help highlight our cause. So send your e-mail, just make it sound like a loud roar of outrage for all of us.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
(04-01-2022, 10:18 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: Read this posted at an online DME site...

Latest update:

On 3/30/2022, Philips informed us that they have repaired/replaced 813k units out of the 1.5 million registered units in the US and Canada last week. Philips is processing about 33k units each week.

33k/mo, 8k+/week. is more than I expected under the current supply issues. 

Anyone have old production figures to compare to?
Maybe 2018/19 numbers?
Post Reply Post Reply
Clarification
(04-08-2022, 09:39 AM)ST Dog Wrote: 33k/mo, 8k+/week. is more than I expected under the current supply issues. 

Just to clarify, those numbers were supplied by a random DME online site that I happened to stumble across.  They didn't attach any supporting information beyond that data piece that they referenced from a "telephone call with Philips".  It also wasn't from a top-tier DME supplier so its accuracy is unknown.  I hope that mentioning their post at their site wasn't a claim of updated factual data.  I'm sorry that I didn't clarify that in my original post.
Post Reply Post Reply
A Numbers Game

Since the very start of the recall, we have always associated the number of recalled devices with single individuals who may have been medically affected by their use.

We have grossly underestimated the real number of individuals that could have been affected.

There are now an estimated 4,700 sleep labs or centers in the United States, each with multiple bedrooms. The one I used had 4, and used Philips recalled machines. I went back in June to check.

The CPAP machines that are used in these labs are re-used over and over again.

4 million CPAP machines have been recalled globally.

220 ventilators used in Hospitals have been recalled, these machines are also used over and over again. 

I will not attempt to do the math here, but I think you can see the point I was attempting to make., and yes I know not every sleep lab was using a recalled Philips machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
HME News

IN BRIEF: CPAP PREFERENCES SHIFT, BELLUSCURA SNAGS GOV’T CONTRACT, CMS INVESTS IN-HOME CARE 

NEW YORK – HME providers expect to shift an average of 58.4% of their Philips Respironics flow generator purchases and an average of 30.2% of their mask purchases to other companies due to the recall, according to the first quarter HME Sleep and Oxygen Survey from Needham. 

That’s up from the 56% and 23.1%, respectively, reported in the third-quarter survey. 

“ResMed should gain market share over the (next 12 months),” the survey states. “Respondents expect its share of their flow generator purchases to increase by 6.1% and its share of their mask purchases to increase by 1.8%.” 

In brief: CPAP preferences shift, Belluscura snags gov’t contract, CMS (hmenews.com)
Post Reply Post Reply
Philips Future Sales
(04-09-2022, 10:10 AM)btreger Wrote: HME providers expect to shift an average of 58.4% of their Philips Respironics flow generator purchases and an average of 30.2% of their mask purchases to other companies due to the recall.

DMEs, reducing their future Philips purchase plans, is expected I suppose, probably influenced by supply shortages - having no saleable xPAP systems and Philips unlikely willingness to invest significantly in suppllies.  I wouldn't count Philips out of the consumer (DME) xPAP systems business quite yet. 

Although I now have great disrespect for Philips' integrety, quality, customer service, etc., Philips has always had a very strong marketing department.  They tie in tightly with the industry recommenders (DMEs, hospitals, sleep labs, dentists, etc.) to help promote their products.  They'll give away endless amounts of free products to get the recommenders promoting their products again.  

The main question is, will it be profitable for them, if they remain bogged down with ongoing litigations.  It'll be interesting to watch.  Although Philips' toothbrush accessory business is vastly profitable, their xPAP mask business may be much more competitive.  I know many (myself included) who in the past would use a Philips xPAP system (recommended by their sleep lab/doctor/DME) and later migrate to ResMed masks exclusively.  

It's so early to know what DMEs will do longer term.  They're motivated by profitability and if Philips floods them with free demo systems and masks, along with significant volume purchase discounts, DMEs will significantly increase their marketing and purchases of Philips xPAP systems and accessories once again.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: FDA Letter
(04-08-2022, 09:12 AM)btreger Wrote: Thanks, but Tom Wilson really deserves all the credit. At first, I thought it would be great if we all sent the good Dr. our own e-mails. I changed my mind and decided a single e-mail that represented all of us would work better. 

I cannot think of anyone better to do that than you.  You have been working on this from the very start of this thread and have spearheaded many independent efforts to help highlight our cause. So send your e-mail, just make it sound like a loud roar of outrage for all of us.

Speaking of e-mails:

Here is the direct email to the Chairman of Philips - Frans.a.van.houten@philips.com
Post Reply Post Reply
Clinicians Update - Sleep and Respiratory Care Bulletin #2
An April 4th (2022) update was made to the Philips site for Clinicians regarding the March 2022 Bulletin.  There really isn't any new news there from what I can see.

https://www.philips.com/c-dam/b2bhc/mast...n-2-us.pdf

Sleep and Respiratory Care Bulletin #2

Quote:Cleaning Guidance
Your patients need to be confident they are cleaning their device properly. For detailed information about caring for replacement devices, your patients are urged to refer to the device’s User Manual and Accessory Cleaning and Inspection Instructions that come with the device. It is important that they use only the cleaning methods approved for their device, as unapproved cleaning methods* such as ozone may contribute to foam degradation.

To effectively complete the recall all affected devices must be remediated regardless of the cleaning method used. Please refer to the June 2021 recall notice on the Philips.com/src-update page to determine if your patients’ devices are affected by this recall.

*Please note that both ozone and UV light cleaning products (including the Philips UV Light Sanitizer Box) are not currently approved cleaning methods for our devices or masks and do not remediate the current recall. Please refer to the FDA safety communication issued on February 27, 2020 and titled “Ozone and UV light: Potential Risks associated with the use of ozone and ultraviolet (UV) light for cleaning CPAP machines and accessories” for more information. The communication indicates that devices claiming to clean, disinfect or sanitize CPAP machines using ozone gas or UV light have not been FDA authorized.

Interesting that they use the phrase "may contribute" instead of "may cause".  That seems to suggest that they admit to foam degredation regardless of any particular ozone cleaning method.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had two Phillips CPAPS that needed to be replaced.  I got the Dreamstation 1 replaced with the Dreamstation 2, but they still have not replaced my Dreamstation GO. Very annoying.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Clarification
(04-08-2022, 12:51 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: Just to clarify, those numbers were supplied by a random DME online site that I happened to stumble across.  They didn't attach any supporting information beyond that data piece that they referenced from a "telephone call with Philips".  It also wasn't from a top-tier DME supplier so its accuracy is unknown.  I hope that mentioning their post at their site wasn't a claim of updated factual data.  I'm sorry that I didn't clarify that in my original post.

Interesting data point none the less.

Hence my query as to what Philip's past production was.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,831 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,068 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,615 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,057 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 960 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,209 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.