Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
PHILIPS RESPONSIVENESS
(07-24-2022, 03:55 PM)Moriarty Wrote: Perhaps things are just a bit more laid back here in Oz.

And perhaps Australia's (and New Zealand's) strong consumer protection laws which force companies to quickly comply or provide refunds.  Philips Australia may have had little choice but to quickly and accurately respond directly with device owners rather than drag out the process over two years, with complex additional consumer demands, all through 3rd party contractors (the Philips U.S. response).  Understandably, consumer compensations are then driven by consolidated lawfirms utilizing multi-jurisdiction class-action lawsuits.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
Philips shares hit 9-year low on weak quarter and guidance cut

Dutch medical equipment maker Philips posted a bigger-than-expected drop in second-quarter core earnings on Monday, saying supply shortages and lockdowns in China had dented sales.

Chief Executive Officer Frans van Houten said supply chain issues and inflationary pressures had played a role, but singled out Chinese Covid-19 lockdowns as the biggest cause of the shortfall.

Philips said on Monday it was in talks with the FBI, on behalf of the FDA, on the terms of a settlement.

Total costs from the recall so far amount to about 900 million euros. That does not cover possible costs from class action suits.

Philips shares hit 9-year low on weak quarter and guidance cut (cnbc.com)
Post Reply Post Reply
MarketScreener

Philips: Respironics field action – FAQ – July 25, 2022

Frequently Asked Questions - as of July 25th, 2022:

What is the component quality issue in certain Philips Respironics sleep and respiratory care products?

What does the previously announced field action provision relate to?

Why is testing taking so much time?

When does Philips Respironics expect to provide the next update on testing results?

What do the latest testing results show in terms of the impact of ozone on the machines?

Many more questions were asked, and you can judge the answers for yourself

Philips : Respironics field action – FAQ – July 25, 2022 | MarketScreener
Post Reply Post Reply
Who is the biggest beneficiary of the shortage of machines and high costs. One might think Resmed, but I speculatively think it is the Chinese machines that are selling a relatively premium prices and selling quite well based on new member to this site. Insurance is clearly buying the off-shore brands that we used to reject outright. Market share is shifting, and not at discounted prices.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
PHILIPS RECALL STRATEGY FOR OLDER DEVICES
Philips’ strategy for fixing older faulty-foam systems, if used for an automotive safety recall, might resemble this for a Toyota recall:

1. Toyota recalled vehicle owners must register with Toyota directly for an updated part.

2.  Toyota will check its database of registered owners, received from the Toyota dealers (i.e. the original DME supplier), to see if the owner details precisely match its warranty database details.  

3.  Toyota will then check the original license plate (i.e. the xPAP patient prescription) to ensure that they can put it on the car beforehand.

4.  If any of the above data:
  • isn’t recent
  • was never received from the dealer (i.e. DME)
  • doesn’t precisely match the original warranty registration details
  • doesn’t match the updated details in the Toyota cloud as a result of regular Authorized Toyota dealer maintenance visits (i.e. Philips DreamMapper)
Toyota will contact the Toyota Dealer (i.e. Philips DME), assuming they still exist and that they have accurate records readily available, to get updated details.  If those details don't precisely match, aren't up-to-date, etc., or they fail to get an appropriate timely result, Toyota will contact the Recall registrant to request their driving license instructor (i.e. their sleep doctor) contact details to obtain their original driver’s license personal details and test results (i.e. xPAP prescription, date of birth, etc.).

5.  If the recall registrant, dealer, or driver’s license instructor, fails to respond or comply with all requested toyota details, Toyota will cease all actions related to repairing the vehicle (i.e. faulty Philips xPAP device), forcing continued use of the faulty unsafe vehicle.

It's not a perfect comparison of course, but it may help demonstrate how Philips will be able to justify not having to fix/replace a significant number of its older recalled faulty devices.  All all this complexity, time (est. 1-2 years), personal cost and damaging effects as a result of a fauty $0.25 piece of foam that Philips has known about for many years.
Post Reply Post Reply
MEDTECHDIVE

Philips and U.S. Justice Dept. in consent decree talks on sleep apnea, ventilator recall

Philips is in negotiations with the U.S. Department of Justice about its recall of millions of sleep apnea and ventilator machines, the company said during a second-quarter earnings call.

“The consent decree could lead to production being stopped at [Philips] facilities while it resolves its quality issues, causing further delays in re-entering the market,” Needham analysts wrote in a Monday note. “However, we think that the FDA/DOJ may try to avoid this given the severe flow generator shortage and patient backlog.”

Philips and U.S. Justice Dept. in consent decree talks on sleep apnea, ventilator recall | MedTech Dive
Post Reply Post Reply
The FDA and DOJ need to start doing their damn jobs: protecting public health from incompetency and prosecuting those who commit criminal acts to the fullest extent of the law. The findings in the November FDA inspection report prove that Philips is guilty of breach of express warranty, fraudulent misrepresentation, fraud by omission and unjust enrichment.
Post Reply Post Reply
So Phillips are just a bunch of unethical, uncaring, a-holes who want to protect their piles of dough.

Good to know.

PS: Has anyone come up with a hack or workaround to replace the dodgy foam? Surely there is someone in youtube-land, or an enterprising private engineering type, who has fixed the problem?
Post Reply Post Reply
There are many posts on foam removal and using aftermarket foam free parts.  Using the search term. "foam removal", yielded this thread:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...removal%22  Also, many posts in this thread contain information on its removal.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Red:
Thanks for that, looking through some of those threads/posts was educational.

With that said, I am unable to locate any "foam free chambers" on Amazon. I'm not sure if 1) I'm using the wrong search term, 2) Amazon is cracking down on "illegal stuff," oe 3) there is that much demand and they're simply none to be found anywhere.

I spent an hour between YouTube (reading comments on videos about the chambers), Amazon, and google. No joy.

Best-
Dave
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,861 03-27-2024, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,086 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,272 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,625 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,260 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 971 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,221 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.