Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
"2018:  The user “trickyneedsleep” reported on apneaboard.com that the filters of his DreamStation Auto turned black within three
days of use.

2019: The user “WSHenry” reported on apneaboard.com in a thread entitled “DreamStation Filter Contamination” that “both the pollen and ultra-fine filters in my machine were clogged with black (Carbon?) particles.” The user further noted that the “water chamber was completely dry. There were odd odors noted, and the water chamber was undamaged.” He explained that he had recently cleaned the filters and that “[t]here was only a small amount of dust on the furniture, and the machine and tubing is clean. I do not burn candles nearby, and the furnace is off. I do have the window slightly opened, as is the case nearly year-round.” The user asked: “Is it possible the contamination is from the blower?”"

Interesting..... the filters in the Dream Station filter the incoming room air prior to entering the air path of the blower chamber!!! Too-funny Too-funny Too-funny Too-funny

Yup, the heated dry water chamber of a DS emits the odor of warmed plastic when I failed to have sufficient water in it. My Resmed does this too if I fail to fill it prior to use. It's the nature of plastic when heat is applied.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2022, 10:59 AM)btreger Wrote: WHEN PHILIPS KNEW
Well at least one person at respironics knew the foam was shedding into users' airways in early 2018. And you know this email was not sent immediately after the first customer complaint. 

“The material sheds and is pulled into the ventilator air path,” Vincent Testa, a project mechanical engineer for Philips, said in an April 2018 email unsealed as part of consumer lawsuits overseen by a federal judge in Pittsburgh. “As you can imagine, this is not a good situation for our users,” Testa said. 

We're supposed to believe Vincent Testa was a rogue lone wolf unofficially inquiring about a situation that is "not good for our users'.  Hey Man.....not a chance any jury is going to buy that we didn't know bs. And why all the early 'retirements' and new management if nobody on murry ridge was culpable?  

cul·pa·ble, /ˈkəlpəb(ə)l/, adjective, deserving blame.
"sometimes you're just as culpable when you watch something as when you actually participate"
Post Reply Post Reply
Exclaimation 
TO REQUEST THAT PHILIPS (OR YOURSELF) STORE RECALLED DEVICES
Just a reminder to those who will (or who recently did) return their faulty Recalled Philips device(s) to Philips, after having received their replacement device, the January 2022 court directive forces Philips to maintain evidentiary components of returned faulty Philips Dreamstation devices for those faulty device owners who request doing so.  

Philips' own wording seems to suggest that you also have the option of storing your Recalled faulty device at your own premises as possible evidence, rather than having to return it to Philips, as long as you inform Philips that you're doing so in the Philips "Preservation Registry".

So you know that this is indeed a legitimate site, you should find and select the link from Philips' own "SRC Update" site:

"www.usa.philips.com/healthcare/e/sleep/communications/src-update"

>>  Select "Questions and answers"
>>  Select "For patients"
>>  Select "What happens after I register my device, and what do I do with my old device?"

The last paragraph states:

Quote:Owners or users of DreamStation 1 devices who wish to preserve their units for purposes of a lawsuit have the option of requesting preservation, either by Philips Respironics or by the user, through the Preservation Registry established by Philips Respironics

More information and instructions on how to register for preservation may be found at: "mdl3014preservationregistry.com".

Please forward the above information to any other individuals or sites that may benefit from having these options.  

***Direct website click-on links intentionally removed by poster to enhance your security.
Post Reply Post Reply
PHILIPS RECALL NEWS MEDIA UPDATES
"Recall of Some Sleep Aid Devices Heads Into a Second Year"
NBC 5 (Dallas, TX)  |  August 5, 2022
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/nbc-5-respon...r/3040772/

Quote:“I registered day one, within hours of getting the notice,” Peteuil told NBC 5.  A status check on Philips’ online patient portal earlier this week showed Peteuil’s device is registered, but the order is not yet processed.  “I just see a very lackadaisical, nonurgent response, which is amazing because it's such critical equipment for so many,” said Peteuil.

Philips said it expects to repair or replace around 5.5 million devices around the world. To date, Philips Respironics has produced 3 million replacement devices and repair kits with 1.4 million of them shipped to the U.S.

“Words mean nothing. Action is everything, right? Action is king. I'll believe it when I see it at this point”.  Peteuil, an engineer, said he’s reconfigured his father’s used CPAP to use while he continues to wait on a fix from Philips.

"Latest CPAP Lawsuit Updates"
August 4, 2022

Quote:A “science day” has been scheduled for September 1 in the Philips CPAP Recall MDL (Multi District Litigation). This is a good sign of progress – the judge is ready to start digging into the science and most CPAP lawyers are bullish on the scientific evidence that links a large number of injuries to the CPAP recall.  In class action MDLs, a science day is intended to give attorneys for both sides the opportunity to make presentations to the MDL judge in order to educate the Court about complex scientific issues. The CPAP MDL Judge ordered the science day in response to a joint motion by the parties and gave them until August 18, 2022 to submit proposals for how the science day should be handled.
Post Reply Post Reply
Replacement from Online providers
The status for one of my machines under recall has been updated to:

"Thank you for providing your information. Your durable medical equipment provider will provide you with your replacement device as soon as they receive it from Philips."

The provider for this machine is an online supplier. I'm wondering if anyone else who may have purchased their machine online has received a replacement or even a notification from an online supplier about a potential replacement machine. I've searched my email and have not received anything from this supplier (Supplier #30).
Post Reply Post Reply
Same here.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Replacement from Online providers
(08-12-2022, 02:21 PM)chasmm Wrote: The status for one of my machines under recall has been updated to:

"Thank you for providing your information. Your durable medical equipment provider will provide you with your replacement device as soon as they receive it from Philips."

The provider for this machine is an online supplier.

Did you receive this notification via email they sent to you, or did you see this only after you logged into the Philips recall page?
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Only after I logged into the Philips recall page.

I haven't received an email from Philips other than the standard 'we're working on it' type.
Post Reply Post Reply
REUTERS

Philips parts ways with CEO in midst of a massive recall

AMSTERDAM, Aug 16 (Reuters) - Philips (PHG.AS) Chief Executive Frans van Houten will leave the company in October, the Dutch health technology firm said on Tuesday after a key product recall cut its market value by more than half over the past year.

Philips said Van Houten would be replaced on Oct. 15 by Roy Jakobs, head of the company's Connected Care businesses. Van Houten's third term as CEO had been due to end in April.

Jakobs, 48, is currently overseeing the company's recall of millions of ventilators and machines for the treatment of sleep apnea. That process has lopped almost $30 billion off Philips' value as investors fear large claims.

"The time is right for the change in leadership," Philips said in a statement.

Philips parts ways with CEO in midst of massive recall | Reuters
Post Reply Post Reply
IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT

FOR THE WESTERN DISTRICT OF PENNSYLVANIA

IN RE: PHILIPS RECALLED CPAP, )
BI-LEVEL PAP, AND MECHANICAL )
VENTILATOR PRODUCTS Litigation )

MDL No. 3014

PRETRIAL ORDER #21

WITH RESPECT TO SCIENCE DAY ON SEPTEMBER 1, 2022

WHEREFORE, on September 1, 2022, this court will hold “Science Day” to educate the 
court about the basic medical and scientific issues associated with the devices at issue in this 
multi-district litigation and In re: SoClean, Inc., Marketing Sales Practices and Products 
Liability Litigation, MDL No. 3021 (“MDL 3021”), in an objective format without advocacy,

WHEREFORE, the goal of Science Day is to educate the undersigned about how the 
devices at issue in these MDLs work and the scientific theories underlying the MDLs,

WHEREFORE, the purpose of Science Day is not to test the evidence or weigh the 
strength of any scientific theories, and

WHEREFORE, Science Day will be conducted in an effort to familiarize the court with 
the medical science relevant to this MDL and MDL 3021, so that the undersigned is in the best 
position possible to manage the MDLs as they proceed

3014_Pretrial_Order_21.pdf (uscourts.gov)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,840 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,072 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,617 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,062 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 966 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,211 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.