Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
If Philips ever should pull out of the CPAP market (as a few here wish would happen), what are the acceptable and equivalent alternatives to a Resmed machine which would likely be in shorter supply with longer wait times due to supply chain issues and higher demand.

What would be the top three affordable  contenders that are OSCAR compatible (SD Card) and have other features comparable to the AS10?

I take no issue with the DS2 I received as a replacement for my previous DS1. I also have an AS10 Auto I bought as a backup and travel machine. Between the two I have no particular preference and both accomplish low AHI numbers and minimal O2 sat drops from O2Ring data. The AS10 does seem more aggressive with pressures compared to the DS2 with the same settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
PHILIPS STOCK OWNERS
(09-12-2022, 09:54 AM)btreger Wrote: << earlier >>  Dutch shareholders threaten to sue Philips over recall, media report | Reuters

I can’t blame Philips stockholders for suing as a result of the evolutionary continuous slide in their stock values.  If I recall correctly, putting aside the large stock value losses for Philips stockowners, the existing and future costs seem to get significantly worse each quarter:
  • Initial 250 Million Euro cost allocation
  • Upgraded to a 500 Million Euro total cost allocation
  • Expanded to include more than 10 years of ventilator systems
  • Cost overruns due to supply chain shipping and inflation
  • Class-action Lawsuits initiated in the U.S. and continually expanding worldwide (user health damages, other cost claims)
  • Potential fines and penalties due to misconduct (withholding, misleading, delaying)
  • Other Philips product Recalls to other devices, masks, etc.
  • Lost revenues from the Ventilator division due to inability to sell xPAP systems
  • Declining revenues going forward as a result of Philips damaged reputation
  • Etc.
It’s now impossible to estimate a cap for the existing (and future) expenses and losses.  Philips current (as of Aug. 16th) direct costs associated with the Recall are stated to be 900 Million Euro, but that doesn't include most of the above additional coming costs and liabilities.  Without considering stock value losses, we’re likely now beyond $2 Billion (U.S.).  

Philips stockowners might be in a tricky situation however.  If they seek to prove that Philips executives knew well in advance of the issues related to the Recalls, and didn't act responsibly, and didn't disclose promptly, that would be good additional evidence for other class-action lawsuits.  Their tactic might be best to limit their evidence to existing evidence from other lawsuits without going beyond that - in order to preserve their remaining Philips stock values.  Those individuals, funds, etc., that have already unloaded their Philips stock would likely be more agressive with seeking and offering evidence, putting Philips in a charitable position to offer financial compensation perhaps.

In October, the existing CEO will walk away with all his financial bonuses intact, and will likely appear on future Philips and other corporate boards.  In a way, the Philips CEO did a good job at convincing others to continue to both buy and hold Philips stock, while preserving the highest possible stock price, with the future CEO about to take over a ship that suddenly found itself carrying a significant amount of ocean water, and pulling more and more profits from other company divisions, impacting their futures.

As a stock promoter, CEO Frans van Houten's ability and credibility has concluded.  Mr. van Housten could no longer continue to smile and state that they've got a handle on this.  Following his Oct. 15th departure, one would expect a very large stock sale as the then former Philips executive would no longer be required to publicly disclose the sale of his personal Philips stock holdings which respresents the majority of his executive income and bonuses.
Post Reply Post Reply
Today I received a computer-generated voicemail on my landline directing me to calla phone number about my prescription.  When I called the number, it did not ring - nothing but silence.

About the same time. I received an email stating that I should click on a link to receive a "ZIX Secure message from Philips." I did not click on the link.

This email did not resemble any previous message I received from Philips on this recall.

Has anyone else received communications like these?   I'm suspicious that the database has been hacked.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mr. Google offered this:
"Is Zix secure email legit?
The fake emails are titled “Secure Zix message” and they instruct recipients to click on a button within the email to read the “secure message.” Once the button has been clicked, the victim is taken to a phishing page.Sep 28, 2021"

Scam artists are using a scam of getting you to dial a number. Since you initiated the call, they can start calling you all the time.

Another trick is that they leave a phony wrong number message on your phone, like "Hi, this Arthur Smart. I need to cancel my appointment with Dr. Smith tomorrow. If there is any problem, you can call me at 555-111-2222." Being the good person that you are, you call the person to inform him that he called the wrong number. Boom!, you've initiated contact with the scammer, and now they can call you all the time.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the information.  I'm usually pretty good at avoiding these things but I've been expecting information from Philips, and the scammer "got" me at just the right time.

Other than this board, I'm not on social media at all and I don't know how the scammer could have known I'm on the list for a replacement CPAP and got access to my phone and email contact information unless the Philips database has been hacked.  G-R-R-R-R Perturbed
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-12-2022, 07:54 PM)Morseman Wrote: Other than this board, I'm not on social media at all and I don't know how the scammer could have known I'm on the list for a replacement CPAP and got access to my phone and email contact information unless the Philips database has been hacked.  G-R-R-R-R Perturbed

They didn't have to know. They just bombard all the number/email combinations they have.

Of course there are lots of ways to tie you to CPAP and target better, not just the recall related databases.
Post Reply Post Reply
Now I'm not sure what to believe -

I emailed pcms.support@philips.com about the phone call and ZIX message email, and received this reply:

HI XXX,

Thank you for contacting us. Both the call and the email are legitimate, we are seeking additional information through a different method to be able to complete the repair/replacement of your recalled device because of issues getting that needed information from your home care provider.

Best Regards, 
Philips PCMS Patient Interaction Team
Sleep and Respiratory Care
RLH

Philips Respironics
Pittsburgh, PA 15239
Tel: 800.345.6443
Email: pcms.support@philips.com
Team Hours: 12 PM- 5:00 PM EST
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, it is a legitimate contact. They sure could have picked a more trustworthy method, though.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
FYI - in mid-2017 we obtained two DreamStations off a popular, very large shopping site, and registered them on the Respironics website.
On 6/23/21, registered them for the recall.
A couple of days ago, received a DreamStation 2 as replacement for mine, with advance emails from both FedEx and Respironics.
So, no DME (not even a cpap dot dom), no prescription, but DreamMapper was used consistently. The instructions indicate the machine will download the settings and reconnect to DreamMapper. Not that I'm currently planning to do so.

On the other hand, my spouse's machine was not on DreamMapper, and India has been asking for all kinds of documentation.

So about a year and 3 months since I stopped using their machine at their instructions. If they wanted my goodwill, reimbursing the replacement machine, purchased on my own dime to follow their instructions, would have gone a lot farther. Even 50% reimbursement would have left me with a much better taste than I have at present.
Post Reply Post Reply
PHILIPS CLASS-ACTION LAWSUIT UPDATE
Census Registry for Philips CPAP Claims Established
September 20, 2022

Quote:The U.S. District Judge presiding over all Philips CPAP lawsuits has created a census registry which will replace an earlier tolling agreement and allow the Court get a better understanding about the nature of claims being pursued by former users diagnosed with cancer, lung damage and other respiratory symptoms after use of a recalled sleep apnea machine.

Tens of thousands of individuals are pursuing claims after a Philips CPAP recall was announced last year, due to problems with a polyester-based (PE-PUR) sound abatement that may breakdown and degrade, releasing black particles or debris directly into the sleep apnea machine’s air pathways, exposing users to a number of toxic chemicals and gases.

Former users exposed to the machines now claim the toxic chemicals and gasses caused them to develop various types of cancer, lung damage and other injuries, and the parties previously entered a tolling agreement that prevented the running of the statute of limitations and avoided the need for lawsuits to be filed.

As that tolling agreement comes to an end, while Philips CPAP lawyers are continuing to investigate and review thousands of claims, a census registry has been created to gather information about each claim.  The census process is designed to provide the parties and the Court with better information about how to target resources and efficiently manage the growing litigation, as a large number of unfiled cases continue to be investigated by CPAP recall lawyers nationwide.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,817 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,060 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,604 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,032 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 955 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,199 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.