Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
Do they need my current prescription, which is what the letter says ("Therefore, Philips Respironics will need to obtain your current prescription"), or the prescription that I had for my DS? I got my DS in 2016 and in 2020 did another sleep survey and got a ResMed that I use now. If I do the DreamMapper app method, the Philips letter says "your device prescription settings will automatically be captured.", but that of course isn't my current prescription technically.

They sure seem to be in a hurry. I've gotten 3 emails from them this week along with 2 recorded voice messages to call back Philips regarding the recall. Ah, I do notice looking at the emailed letter that it says "Expires Dec xx"
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2022, 09:00 PM)Mezzrow Wrote: Do they need my current prescription…?

They need a prescription that they can think is your current one. 
In my case Philips Australia settled for photos of the setting screens displayed on my old machine

Apart from Philips covering themselves, in practical reality it doesn’t matter if it is ‘right’ provided that you are capable of changing settings yourself - so send whatever prescription is available to keep Philips happy - and reset it yourself when you get it.
Disclaimer: The 'Advisory Member' title is a Forum thing that I cannot change. I am not a doctor and my comments are purely my opinion or quote my personal experience. Regardless of my experience other readers mileage may vary.
Post Reply Post Reply
When this recall came up I stoped using my Dreamstation Auto and had my DR. write a perscription for a
ResMed Aircurve 10Vauto. So a couple of days ago I got that notice that my dreamstation replacement was
in the works and I needed to do an upload through Dreammaper or have my DR. send them the curent perscription.
So I just went through that hassel of seting up Dreammapper and do the upload. I hope that worked out
as I just bet geting my Dr's office to send them the perscription settings for the old Dreamstation when I have
now been on a ResMed bipap for almost 2 years would get messed up. Lets see my original DS craped out at
about 12 months and was replaced then the replacement acted up at about 18 months so it too was replaced.
So when I get this replacement it will be the replacement for the replacement for the replacement.
Post Reply Post Reply
MASS

DEVICE

More deaths reported in Philips respiratory devices recall
NOVEMBER 22, 2022 BY CHRIS NEWMARKER

The FDA announced today that it has received more than 90,000 reports of problems — including 260 mentioning deaths — in Philips’ massive respiratory devices recall.

However, the Dutch Medtech giant is facing additional problems. For example, it recently reported two new potential issues with some reworked Philips Respironics Trilogy ventilators, about 3% of the devices in the original recall. There’s new silicone sound abatement foam that could separate from the plastic backing. Plus, the company reported trace amounts of particulate matter in the air pathway of some corrected ventilators in the U.S.

More deaths reported in Philips respiratory devices recall (massdevice.com)
Post Reply Post Reply
I just received a new email update from Philips:

Highlights

Philips

New leadership focused on improving remediation execution

On October 15, Roy Jakobs was appointed as President and CEO of Philips. His priority is to improve execution to ensure we’re doing all we can to help patients.  

“I am honored to have been given the responsibility to lead Philips and have started my new job excited and determined to turn things around. I am committed to serving you, the patients who rely on us, to working ever more closely with the doctors, nurses, and healthcare managers we partner with, and to enabling people everywhere to improve their health and well-being.  

I am mindful of the pain caused when expected levels of care fall short. The recall notification of our Respironics sleep apnea devices let down the many patients like you who relied on them, for which I am deeply sorry. I assure you that we remain fully committed to providing a resolution to you as soon as possible.”
Post Reply Post Reply
PHILIPS UPDATE E-MAIL
(11-22-2022, 06:10 PM)btreger Wrote: << above >>

I too just received the periodic Recall update, mandated by the FDA I believe.  

Quote:[Philips CEO]  I assure you that we remain fully committed to providing a resolution to you as soon as possible.  While we are making progress on shipping replacement devices, we understand that it is frustrating that you have not yet received your replacement device. 

By Philips being "fully committed", Philips must mean "committed to letting appointed 3rd parties handle everything in a tedious, inefficient, time-consuming way".  Regarded feeling "frustrated", yes, waiting 18+ months for replacements of life-sustaining medical devices has been "frustrating" to say the least for the hundreds of thousands of patients yet to receive their replacement.  If the new CEO's financial compensation, bonuses and stock options were put on-hold for 2 years, that might also be a little "frustrating".  

The e-mail states the new CEO's mission is to make everything better.  However, if I'm not mistaken, he's been the one in-charge of the Recall prior to becoming the new CEO.  The past 18 months has indeed been under his direct control.  Your stating that everything is going to improve now that you're the new CEO either implies that the previous CEO did a poor job and prevented you from succeeding, or that someone else is now responsible for the Recall campaign and will do a better job than you did previously.

We look forward to your future forced monthly updates that praise you for your efforts and request our continued patience and understanding as we approach the 2 year anniversary of your long-delayed public disclosure of your faulty carcinogenic medical device issues.  Instead of sympathetic words, we'd prefer action, resolution, full disclosure and accountability.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PHILIPS UPDATE E-MAIL
(11-22-2022, 07:29 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: I too just received the periodic Recall update, mandated by the FDA I believe.  

The e-mail states the new CEO's mission is to make everything better.  However, if I'm not mistaken, he's been the one in-charge of the Recall prior to becoming the new CEO.  The past 18 months has indeed been under his direct control.  Your stating that everything is going to improve now that you're the new CEO either implies that the previous CEO did a poor job and prevented you from succeeding, or that someone else is now responsible for the Recall campaign and will do a better job than you did previously.

We look forward to your future forced monthly updates that praise you for your efforts and request our continued patience and understanding as we approach the 2 year anniversary of your long-delayed public disclosure of your faulty carcinogenic medical device issues.  Instead of sympathetic words, we'd prefer action, resolution, full disclosure and accountability.

The truth is still the truth. I think we both have tried to provide that to the best of our ability now over one year and a half and counting. Most of the time it does feel like we are just spitting into the wind and no one is listening or cares.
Post Reply Post Reply
When was the last update with numbers and what was the number of remediated devices?

I never found info showing how many devices were produced prior to the recall/pandemic, like 2018 or 2019.
Post Reply Post Reply
Has anyone in Canada recieved a replacement machine? I've been using my old Resmed 10 that is several thousand hours over the recommended lifespan (I got the "Motor Life Exceeded message 18 months ago!).
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2022, 04:53 PM)Esprit Wrote: Has anyone in Canada recieved a replacement machine?

I saw at least one report on FB.

I probably wouldn't worry about the motor yet (post hours), but you can get one for ~$100 US. Can't reset the hours, but you'd know it was new.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,855 03-27-2024, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,084 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,269 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,622 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,074 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 968 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,219 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.