Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
(11-23-2022, 05:12 PM)ST Dog Wrote: I probably wouldn't worry about the motor yet (post hours), but you can get one for ~$100 US. Can't reset the hours, but you'd know it was new.

I read somewhere that the motor can't be replaced because it has a serial number that is hard coded into the software. But I don't recall if that was for Resmed or Respironics machines. Or maybe it wasn't even true. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2022, 04:53 PM)Esprit Wrote: Has anyone in Canada recieved a replacement machine? 
Received a replacement unit (DS2) a few months ago from my provider.
Cant say as I like it too much, but thats another story.
Post Reply Post Reply
WEEKLY NEWS MEDIA RECALL NEWS
"Philips adds another 91 reported deaths to ventilator recall, bringing total to 260"
November 23, 2022

Quote:Between Aug. 1 and Oct. 31, the FDA received more than 21,000 new medical device reports (MDRs) from Philips, healthcare providers, consumers and patients, according to the agency’s latest update on the matter, published Tuesday.  Of those recall-related complaints, 91 included reports of patient deaths. Others described a range of non-fatal injuries, including cancer, pneumonia, asthma, infection, headache, difficulty breathing, dizziness, chest pain and more.

In the decade prior to the recall’s mid-2021 start, Philips had passed on only 30 MDRs to the FDA between 2011 and April 2021, with no deaths or injuries among them. But in just the 19 months since then, the agency has racked up more than 90,000 complaints. More than half of the reports came in between May 1 and July 31 of this year, when the regulator tallied up around 48,000 MDRs sparked by the recall.

Including the 91 latest additions, the FDA has now received a total of 260 reports of death potentially linked to the faulty ventilators. About half, 126, were submitted between April 2021 and April 2022—a number that includes two more deaths than were originally tallied for the year, reflecting “Philips’ retrospective review of MDRs,” per the FDA. The remaining 43 patient death reports came in between May 1 and July 31, marking one fewer death than the period’s previously reported total.

"Many Philips CPAP Users Waiting for Replacement Machines"
The justice department has been investigating the Philips CPAP recall over 
why it was delayed and why the rollout appeared to have been botched
November 28, 2022

Quote:Another recent report found that more than two million individuals who used the devices to treat their sleep apnea had not received Philips CPAP machine replacements by early October 2022; more than a year after the recall was announced.  Out of an estimated 5.5 million recalled Philips CPAP machines, the manufacturer has only produced 3.3 million replacement devices, leaving more than two million owners still without a new device, or forced to spend hundreds of dollars to replace the Philips CPAP machine themselves.

In addition to costs associated with replacing the devices, thousands of former users are currently pursuing a Philips CPAP recall settlement from the manufacturer, alleging that they should be compensated for various injuries linked to breathing the toxic particles released as the sound abatement foam degraded inside their machines.

"Philips (NYSE-PHG): Management Not In Control"
November 28, 2022

Quote:Philips stock has shown a spectacular decline over the last year due to problems at the Respironics division.  Additionally, supply chain issues remain persistent and the company showed a lack of pricing power to counter inflation.  Bad news continues to dominate the headlines as management is clearly not in control.  Moreover, the company has difficulty generating sufficient free cash flow to cover dividends and buybacks.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I just got my Fedex notice to expect my replacement Dreamstation this Friday.
I just wish I knew before hand if it's going to be a new one or some old referbed
one.
Post Reply Post Reply
REUTERS

Philips seeks to escape economic loss claims over recalled sleep apnea machines

Dutch conglomerate Koninklijke Philips NV and its affiliates have asked a judge to dismiss claims from people, hospitals and health plans who say they suffered economic losses when the company recalled 5.5 million CPAP machines, which treat a breathing disorder called sleep apnea, over fears that they could expose users to toxic substances.

In a motion filed Tuesday in federal court in Pittsburgh, Philips said that the plaintiffs — 112 individuals and 10 commercial entities seeking to represent classes of potentially millions of buyers nationwide — had no standing to sue because they did not claim that their devices had actually harmed them. The company had offered to repair or replace the recalled devices for free.

The plaintiffs seeking economic damages said they would not have paid for the devices if they knew of the danger and that despite Philips' offer to repair or replace them, the recall had rendered them worthless.

Philips seeks to escape economic loss claims over recalled sleep apnea machines | Reuters
Post Reply Post Reply
I got my Dreamstation 2 replacement today. In looking back to July 2021 I was wondering if I would get a peplacement before Christmas 2021 and while that didn't hapen at least I got one before Christmas 2022.  Now to find out how much Second Wind will let me have for 
this new DS2 .

\
Post Reply Post Reply
E.W. .........   Do you have a backup for your current ResMed machine? The value of having a spare machine to use if your primary decides to take an extended timeout for repair or replacement is priceless. I use a DS2 as my primary and have an AS10 Auto as a backup and travel machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I agree with you about the value of having a backup machine. But I have an old Resmed S8  auto with only 800 hrs I can use as well as a Resmed S9  with only about 1800 hrs so I am fairly well covered. Oh it looks like Second Wind wonn't touch any Phillips machines now not even the new DS2 models  so I wonder how I can now get rid of this new piece of junk without breaking the law.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a kicker. I just received an email from Phillips telling me my replacement was being shipped.  Just what I needed
a shipment notification 3 hrs after I had received the cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
E.W. ......... Facebook MarketPlace (has work well for me to sell items) or Craigslist (gave up on CL due to scammers and other crap, but works well for some). Browse both to see what they are selling for. I also think the "other" CPAP forum allows private CPAP selling.

Since you declared the DS2 to be 'a piece of junk', you could send it to me to be rid of it. I'll cover reasonable shipping Grin .
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  secunix Therapy Thread secunix 0 23 1 hour ago
Last Post: secunix
  lisaistired - Therapy Thread and Questions lisaistired 21 983 Yesterday, 01:59 PM
Last Post: dormivi
  DreamStation Go Recall [consolidated replacement & compensation info & questions] PHXSleeper 134 20,450 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: PHXSleeper
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 41 1,309 04-23-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Treatment] The Fox's Therapy Thread (plus help with Dad) The Fox 3 98 04-23-2024, 10:09 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  LongDaysPleasantNights' Therapy Thread LongDaysPleasantNights 4 127 04-21-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 31 1,465 04-20-2024, 07:27 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.