[News] ResMed Releases Cloud-based Compliance Management Solution
ApneaNews Offline
Apnea News Correspondent
Advisory Members

Machine: IBM Selectric II
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: 3M N95 (it gets dusty in the newsroom)
Humidifier: Sears Kenmore (circa 1979)
CPAP Pressure: 3200 psi
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: I report, therefore I am.

Sex: Undisclosed

ResMed Releases Cloud-based Compliance Management Solution
ResMed Releases Cloud-based Compliance Management Solution

ResMed Inc
launched its new patient compliance management solution, EasyCare Online, a tool that aggregates usage and efficacy data from obstructive sleep apnea patients who use CPAP.

The data can be used by sleep lab, home medical equipment, and other health care providers involved in managing obstructive sleep apnea. The new tool employs a secure, cloud-based system consistent with the leading health information privacy and security standards, including those mandated by the latest federal regulations.

EasyCare Online enables users to access all their CPAP patients’ therapy data online, anywhere with an Internet connection, whether the data are gathered wirelessly or by secure digital (SD) data card. With EasyCare Online, health care providers can quickly identify patients struggling with compliance and address therapy issues early, while simplifying the administrative burden associated with their business. Moreover, at-a-glance reports are easily accessed with just a few clicks, saving both staff training and execution time.

“EasyCare Online answers the market demand for an efficient, user-friendly system that offers quick and convenient access to patient data from one centralized location,” stated Luke Maguire, director, health care informatics marketing, ResMed Americas. “EasyCare Online overcomes those challenges and more, combining an intuitive user interface with simple reporting options and fewer clicks overall.”

EasyCare Online also provides the option to grant access to patient data for an unlimited number of health care providers. For example, a medical equipment provider can link patients’ records to their referring primary care physicians and sleep lab partners, so that all care providers can monitor a patient’s progress online.

“Health care, especially sleep health care, is an incredibly dynamic market. Our customers are under pressure to prove positive patient outcomes with CPAP and to continuously document compliance,” said Don Darkin, president, sleep-disordered breathing strategic business unit. “They need a data management tool to help streamline their efforts, simplify administration, and differentiate their business. We have provided the solution with EasyCare Online.”

fair use from:
http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/sleep_report/2012-04-18_04.asp

The above post may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The material available is intended to advance the understanding of Sleep Apnea treatment and to advance the educational level of Sleep Apnea patients with regard to their health. Sometimes included is the full text of articles and documents rather than a simple link because outside links frequently "go bad" or change over time. This constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material in this post is distributed without fee or payment of any kind for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this post for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
04-18-2012 08:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: ResMed Releases Cloud-based Compliance Management Solution
It all sounds kinda almost nice except for two things. One, now way in heckaroni will I allow my medical information to be in any sort of online 'cloud'.

And two, why the **** do they have to call it "compliance management"? As if the entire thing is getting patients to "comply"? As if we are nothing more than unwilling idiots who don't do as we are told and absolutely must be watched and monitored?

No thank you, Resmed. I comply just fine when asked nicely and treated as an intelligent adult.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-18-2012 09:04 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Sex: Male

You WILL comply.... we are the Borg... er... I mean ResMed.... resistance is futile... you will be assimilated into the cloud.

ResMed's new cloud-enabled Full Face Mask:

[Image: image91-150x150.jpg]

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

04-18-2012 10:12 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Cutter Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Elite
Mask Make & Model: Swift LT
Humidifier: Hi5
CPAP Pressure: 12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

FREEDOM!

We need a William Wallace Smiley.

This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

04-18-2012 10:20 PM
SlightlySleepy Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed AutoSet S9
Mask Make & Model: Puritan Breeze
Humidifier: Resmed H5
CPAP Pressure: 6-10

Other Comments: EPR off, humidifier 80 deg, heated hose, chin strap to reduce mouth breathing. BMI 21-22

(04-18-2012 10:20 PM)Cutter Wrote:  FREEDOM!
We need a William Wallace Smiley.

Is that a smiley with a kilt?

FWIW, in my crash course in CPAP machines today, I believe I read online that Respironics already has the "Cloud" software already, so perhaps ResMed is just playing catch-up with the borg game. It's on Respironics' sleepapnea website (sorry I cannot post URL) under
Patients >> Products >> Encore Compliance Management >> EncoreAnywhere

One quote from their site that pretty much sums up the plot behind the new trend towards cloud based "compliance management" :

"Management by Exception The easy-to-use, intuitive My Day homepage automatically identifies problem patients and their specific issues. With this information, you can quickly and easily prioritize patient intervention needs."

And no longer will you be afraid of changing the machine all by yourself, the machine can be remotely changed without you even knowing!:
"Modem Versatility Compliance data can be automatically uploaded on a daily basis. Prescription changes also can be automatically communicated back to the patient's device."
04-19-2012 01:52 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

As far as ResMed and insurance companies concerned S9 Escape is data capable machine shows compliance data and compliance means the machine used at least 4 hours per night even in the ResScan there is compliance threshold line marked at 4 hours.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2012 04:25 PM by zonk.)
04-19-2012 06:25 AM
shanzlik Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 12

Other Comments:

I'd be more optomistic if it were about having the detailed data available for the Dr. to review so changes could be made if needed, but this sounds like it's focused on proving "compliance" so the DME can get paid for the machines rather than actually improving patient care. (Since many insurances require proof of compliance before paying for the whole cost of the machine). Just because someone has the machine on for four hours doesn't mean they are getting the best treatment.

Quote: Our customers are under pressure to prove positive patient outcomes with CPAP and to continuously document compliance,” said Don Darkin.

That's what stood out to me, and when he said customers, he means the DMEs, not the patient. The CPAP manufacturing industry is still largely focused on the DME as the so-called customer, not the patient using the product, when it comes to many of their design decisions (such as compliance monitoring vs full data capability, etc.).
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2012 11:43 AM by shanzlik.)
04-19-2012 11:38 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

(04-19-2012 11:38 AM)shanzlik Wrote:  
Quote: Our customers are under pressure to prove positive patient outcomes with CPAP and to continuously document compliance,” said Don Darkin.

That's what stood out to me, and when he said customers, he means the DMEs, not the patient. The CPAP manufacturing industry is still largely focused on the DME as the so-called customer, not the patient using the product, when it comes to many of their design decisions (such as compliance monitoring vs full data capability, etc.).

BINGO. And that's the problem. CPAP manufacturers see the DMEs as their "customer" not you and me (the "end-user") as the customer. This is what Apnea Board has been stressing to the CPAP manufacturers for years now, and to a degree, we're making some progress, but we're nowhere near having the manufacturers see us-- the patients-- as the true customer.

When ResMed Vice President Gil Ben-Dov joined the Apnea Board forum a few months ago, we stressed this to him in this thread... I can only hope he took what we said back to the ResMed boardroom.

It's all part of our stupid Medicare and insurance system. Whoever "Pays the bills" directly to the CPAP manufacturers is the "real customer" in their eyes. Since there is no direct-distribution from manufacturer to the patient, the one who makes the purchases from the manufacturer is seen as "their customer" (the DME, in other words). But the thing they don't realize is that it is WE THE PATIENTS who ultimate pay for these machines, either through Medicare taxes, insurance payments or outright purchase from a DME. If it weren't for the PATIENTS, the CPAP companies would be out of business.

It's really a slap in the face to those of us who want to take a more active role in our own therapy. We're treated like cash-cows that "get milked" on a regular basis, having no say or influence upon those who provide these machines to us. I say, all of us "cash-cows" need to start "mooing" more to get the attention of the CPAP manufacturers.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

04-19-2012 01:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Angry HELP! machine died and need a quick solution!! Jamer in trouble 5 158 Yesterday 10:07 PM
Last Post: storywizard
  REMStar SE with DOT Compliance musicman85 11 316 Yesterday 09:08 PM
Last Post: musicman85
  Insurance woes: Who has my "compliance" and "post pap" documentation? luminous 8 1,288 08-15-2016 12:09 AM
Last Post: SaldusMiegas
  CPAP Compliance Willky 16 1,126 08-02-2016 07:03 AM
Last Post: Willky
  AHI Went up, CA all over, Solution found ezdrifler 9 736 07-19-2016 02:03 PM
Last Post: cate1898
  CPAP wasn't working - Found solution napnaptime 7 841 07-12-2016 08:52 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [CPAP] CPAP COMPLIANCE dizzy1 8 784 06-04-2016 12:32 PM
Last Post: Sleepster