Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Smart Card
Smart Card
New to the forum. I have the Remstar Pro2 w Cflex and was trying to change the pressure. I went through the steps to change it but it wont take the changes. Do I have to take the Smart Card out? Can you use the machine without the Smart Card? No one has ever asked me to bring in this card and I have had the machine two years.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Smart Card
(07-18-2012, 07:46 PM)lauraaz54 Wrote: New to the forum. I have the Remstar Pro2 w Cflex and was trying to change the pressure. I went through the steps to change it but it wont take the changes. Do I have to take the Smart Card out? Can you use the machine without the Smart Card? No one has ever asked me to bring in this card and I have had the machine two years.

Thanks.

Hi Lauraaz54! Welcome

Sorry I don't know anything about your machine, but hang tight and someone will be along shortly who will probably be able to answer your question!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi lauraaz54, First of all, Welcome! to the forum.! I don't know all the answers to your questions regarding smart cards. I had an old Respironics DS200S and I could use that machine without the cardin it. When I first got started with CPAP therapy, the DME I was (and still am) with wanted my smartcard to look at my data and I had to send it to them. So, while they were checking my smart card, I was able to use the machine without the card in the slot. I hope that helps you with at least some of the answers to your questions. Best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
As Trish pointed out take the card out of the of the machine and leave it out... You should be able to use the machine and make any changes as probably the setting locked on the card. Good luck - lets know how it went
Post Reply Post Reply
Would she be able to get another blank card and put it in? Still collecting the data but without resetting stuff?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2012, 09:31 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Would she be able to get another blank card and put it in? Still collecting the data but without resetting stuff?

Paula, I worked with smart cards a number of years ago experimentally. I don't know if these are going to be the same, but it was sort of like coding in binary. All ones and zeros and you had to know what was what. You would have to have the software they used to code the cards or an exact layout of the code knowing what each bit represented and what changes would do AND you would have to have a card writer, not just a reader because you would need to clone the old card and then make changes to it. Plus I really have no idea where to get the blank media anymore. The smart card is kind of an older technology that never really made it on the scene the way everyone had hoped. If you were an older programmer with a lot of time on your hands to muck around with it, it might be a fun project, but for most people it is just not gonna happen.
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
On my old REMstar Pro (pre-2007 model) I could change the pressure with or without the card in the slot, no problem.

Not sure if the REMstar Pro 2 is like that. Take the card out and see if it works then... you don't need the card anyway.

Just as additional info, CPAP machines have improved DRAMATICALLY since your REMstar Pro2 came out. If you can, I'd look into upgrading to a newer, data-capable CPAP machine or maybe an Auto-CPAP (APAP). For me, the difference between my old REMstar Pro and my new ResMed S9 AutoSet are amazing.

Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'd remove the card from the machine. It won;t hurt a thing. Obviously your DME,insurance or Doc is not interested in seeing it anyway. Even if someone, in the future, ever asks about your compliance , blower & useage hours should still show up on the screen. Hopefully you will be able to make some changes to your satisfaction with it removed.

I'll echo other posters a smidgen, and that is (if affordable), try to look into a newer model CPAP. They have really made many great improvements in the last few years.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
I had an old ResMed Escape CPAP machine that worked fine without the Smart Card installed.

Had the card, paid for the card. However, no one told me how to use the card. I wasn't seeing a sleep doc who would care about data at the time.

Hope that helps. Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2012, 07:46 PM)lauraaz54 Wrote: New to the forum. I have the Remstar Pro2 w Cflex and was trying to change the pressure. I went through the steps to change it but it wont take the changes. Do I have to take the Smart Card out? Can you use the machine without the Smart Card? No one has ever asked me to bring in this card and I have had the machine two years.

Thanks.

Hi Laura. I am also new to this forum. I have the same machine as you do. I changed the pressure but first I removed the smart card. set the new pressure, then put the smart card back in.

The card is not necessary for it to run. I just got a manual in from The Apnea Board, and I will check it out to see if I did it correctly.

Herb Warren
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 361 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,002 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,458 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Smart Watches/devices Fourkidletts 172 16,449 03-02-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 538 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat
  airmini smart stop leads to many on/off events elliotg 4 564 10-18-2023, 12:08 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Diffrence between prisma smart vs 20a michelbeaini 2 1,963 10-10-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: domod

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.