Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] Don't discount the power of a daytime nap
Don't discount the power of a daytime nap
Don't discount the power of a daytime nap

By Dr. Davidicus Wong

After reading my recent column on healthy sleep, a helpful reader wrote to remind me to mention the restorative power of the daytime nap.

The siesta is more common closer to the equator though many Canadians find that a midday nap gives them the energy to get through the rest of each day. Many of us though don't have the luxury to sleep during the day.

That doesn't mean involuntary napping doesn't happen. Anyone who is sleep-deprived - or suffers from a sleep disorder such as obstructive sleep apnea - may have such severe daytime sleepiness that they can easily nod off when they should be alert.

The student who has stayed up studying past midnight may take an involuntary nap during a lecture. They may not even notice they have fallen asleep until they see their notes trail off the page.

The doctor who has stayed up all night for a delivery may struggle to stay awake at a school concert. My rule of thumb for a school performance is this. If I'm feeling refreshed at the end of the show, I must have fallen asleep.

The worst time to nap is when your hands are on the wheel of an automobile. So if you are feeling sleepy, stay out of the driver's seat. You may be as dangerous as a drunk driver.

If it takes less than five minutes for you to fall asleep during the day, you may be suffering from a sleep deficit, and the need for a nap is your body and brain telling you that you need more sleep. The nap is just a short-term solution if you continue the habit of sleeping too late or waking up too early.

If you need a nap, it's best to do so early in the day - either the morning or in the early afternoon. Naps taken later in the day can perpetuate a bad sleep-wake cycle by making it harder for you to fall asleep at your appropriate bedtime.

As our brains and bodies cycle through natural rhythms throughout the day, we need a break - though not necessarily a nap - every two hours or so. When you feel restless or a little unfocussed during the midmorning or midafternoon, you may want to try a change of pace. Take up a different activity, take a short walk, stretch, meditate or listen to some music. If you're not sleep-deprived, you should feel refreshed - without the need for a nap.

If you are suffering from persistent or severe daytime sleepiness, see your doctor. You may need further testing to rule out a sleep disorder, such as obstructive sleep apnea, or a medical problem affecting the quality of your sleep.

A warning for students: I didn't realize - until I returned to the lecture hall on the stage rather than in the audience - that I could see every face in the hall, including the one who was nodding off.

fair use from:
http://www.burnabynow.com/health/discoun...story.html
The above post may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The material available is intended to advance the understanding of Sleep Apnea treatment and to advance the educational level of Sleep Apnea patients with regard to their health. Sometimes included is the full text of articles and documents rather than a simple link because outside links frequently "go bad" or change over time. This constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material in this post is distributed without fee or payment of any kind for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this post for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,792 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Daytime sleepiness zzcop302 0 99 03-15-2024, 05:50 PM
Last Post: zzcop302
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 229 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,755 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,428 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 405 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  AirCurve power problem Shamus54 10 981 10-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Shamus54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.