Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] Sleep Apnea Will Soon Have An App To Correctly Diagnose The Condition
RE: Sleep Apnea Will Soon Have An App To Correctly Diagnose The Condition
Quote:in short, if you live with someone, Apple can go take a flying leap

I suspect your feelings might be a sign that you do not like Apple and probably like apple fan boys even far less. ;-)

That said I have at present an android phone and downloaded the app "sleep as android" that someone else on the board talked of last week and it records every sound I make through the night and its as clear as can be.........

I am using the Samsung Galaxy G4 phone but I gave my iPhone 5 to the hubby and the mic on it is excellent as well.

I don't know if this app will be great, or not but I just have to disagree about the recording capabilities, especially as i suspect Doc hates anything apple ;-)

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Galaxy G4 too. I guess it can do about anything. But I don't want to do anything. I want to call somebody on the telephone. I'm not sure it can do that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2014, 08:14 AM)ShelaghDB Wrote: I don't know if this app will be great, or not but I just have to disagree about the recording capabilities, especially as i suspect Doc hates anything apple ;-)

I have no feelings one way or another about Apple - I used Apple because it is a more understandable reference than Samsung or Sony. I could have easily said Nokia, but so far as I know, Apple's iPhone is the current leading phone manufacturer and has the most applications available, so is the best known for a reference to smartphones. Try not to read too much into my statement.

The mic, despite what you may think, isn't as good as a properly housed microphone - we need high performance microphones when doing sensitive diagnostics, and I am not convinced the tiny little mic on a smartphone can do the job based on the idea they describe.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2014, 01:51 PM)PollCat Wrote: We are slowing approaching the medical tri-corder of Star Trek!

https://www.scanadu.com/

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/scana...t#/updates
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2014, 04:23 PM)DocWils Wrote: I doubt this will be accurate, firstly because the mic on an iPhone simply isn't that good, and secondly, snore sounds alone cannot determine the nature of a potential apnoea to any real degree, despite what they claim... if you live with someone, Apple can go take a flying leap.....

Agreed. I have to call BS on this.

There are already scads of snoring apps which are free, full of ads, and created by third-world would be iOS and Android programmers (the bad English translations are a dead giveaway). Some of them even yell at you telling you to wake up.

All they do is use the mic to listen for snoring, which is simple to do. Apparently that is all this app does. Your xPAP does much the same thing; the "vibratory snore" algorithm isn't really much different, except that it has a closed circuit (the hose) to listen through. Snoring is a recognizable sound. It has a certain vibration, pitch, period, and volume, so any cheap app could discriminate between two cat's having at it in the alley and you snoring, and log those events properly.

But so what? The implication here is that listening for snoring is all you need for a diagnosis, which is a pretty far stretch (ant's ass over a rainbarrel far).

It might be helpful, but a hyperbolic and inaccurate sales pitch isn't.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2014, 04:25 PM)DocWils Wrote: ...Try not to read too much into my statement.

Word.

How many times have I wished I could say this and actually get through to someone. Sadly, if this is what one has to resort to, then their target audience can't properly interpret that advice either.

But still, what HE said.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2015, 11:45 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote:
(05-31-2014, 04:25 PM)DocWils Wrote: ...Try not to read too much into my statement.

Word.

How many times have I wished I could say this and actually get through to someone. Sadly, if this is what one has to resort to, then their target audience can't properly interpret that advice either.

But still, what HE said.

Thanks Tyrone - you have no idea what that means to me, and how much that is a bête noire to just about every working doctor on the planet. People here what they want to hear, and that is why we have to teach young doctors how to speak carefully to their patients - even then it doesn't help. Out of context seems to be the natural human hearing condition.

And for the record, I could care less about Apple as opposed to M$ or android or whatever. I have no religious convictions in that regard. My only computer religion is a firm belief that Sony should never have stopped making the VAIO computers, and that is the only conviction I have in that direction. I also happen to believe that SGI should have carried on developing the MIPS processor and the IRIX os, but again, just me. I loved my old O2..... Apple? No convictions whatsoever. It was just for illustration (and humour). Guess I hit a religious nerve there on ShelaghDB....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 292 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.