Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] Sleep Deprivation Makes The Brain Go Into Overdrive And “Eat Itself"
Sleep Deprivation Makes The Brain Go Into Overdrive And “Eat Itself"
Sleep Deprivation Makes The Brain Go Into Overdrive And “Eat Itself"
by Kristy Hamilton, IFL Science, 26 May 2017

The never-ending quest for the secrets of sleep have taken us to a point where the brain explores its very self. Now, a new study suggests that chronic sleep deprivation can make the brain "eat itself", as the cells that digest cellular debris go into overdrive.

As we know, sleep is crucial to the proper functioning of the brain. While we slumber, toxic byproducts from the day are cleared out – a bit of neural housekeeping, if you will, to keep things in working order.

Part of this hardworking team is microglia cells, whose job it is to ingest waste products from the nervous system, gobbling up the cellular debris of worn-out and dead cells. Another worker, astrocytes, are the multi-taskers of the brain, performing a range of functions and duties – one of which includes pruning unnecessary synapses to help rewire the brain (and you thought your job was important).

For the study, published in the Journal of Neuroscience, the team tested four groups of mice: The first were allowed to sleep for as long as they wanted, the second were periodically woken up, the third stayed awake for an extra eight hours, and the fourth were sleep-deprived for five days in a row.

In the well-rested mice, astrocytes were active in 6 percent of the synapses, whereas the eight-hour group showed 8 percent astrocyte activity, and the five-day group a whopping 13.5 percent. Essentially, this system goes into overdrive in sleep-deprived brains.

"We show for the first time that portions of synapses are literally eaten by astrocytes because of sleep loss," neuroscientist Michele Bellesi from the Marche Polytechnic University in Italy told New Scientist. However, the team didn’t specify whether this activity is detrimental or helpful during dire sleep loss.

The discovery that was more intriguing, worrying, and in need of follow-up was the activity of the microglia. They too were more active, but only after chronic sleep loss – a sustained activation previously linked to Alzheimer’s and other forms of neurodegeneration.

As the authors write: "Chronic sleep loss activates microglia cells and promotes their phagocytic [digesting waste] activity, apparently without overt signs of neuroinflammation, suggesting that extended sleep disruption may prime microglia and perhaps predispose the brain to other forms of insult."

The most complex organ of all, the brain is constantly creating, strengthening, and deconstructing an intricate labyrinth of passages in our brain. It is a never-ending project where some biological structures get constructed and others get broken. Further work will help clarify whether this astrocyte activity and microglia activation protects or hinders the brain in times of distress. But just in case, get more sleep!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Deprivation Makes The Brain Go Into Overdrive And “Eat Itself"
One more reason to be grateful for CPAP therapy!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Deprivation Makes The Brain Go Into Overdrive And “Eat Itself"
I read this yesterday. I am glad you posted it. It gives a whole new understanding to being brainless. If I do a dumb thing I can now say it is lack of sleep. Dielaughing 

Or can I say cpap makes me smarter...I feel much better with cpap.

Thanks Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI, Brain Fog, Exhausted Help Please alwaystired17 0 41 4 hours ago
Last Post: alwaystired17
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 176 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 164 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 679 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Brain Fog - seeking guidance in optimizing my therapy deocder 42 5,377 02-20-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: deocder
  [Symptoms] Terrible brain fog and tiredness despite low AHI - Can you see anything in OSCAR? youthfulapnea 4 389 01-27-2024, 04:03 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.