Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] Sleep apnea surgery leads to malpractice lawsuit
Sleep apnea surgery leads to malpractice lawsuit
Sleep apnea surgery leads to malpractice lawsuit

By John Suayan, Galveston Bureau

GALVESTON
- A Santa Fe woman has filed suit against a Houston otolaryngologist, claiming a procedure in late 2009 caused her to suffer "multiple severe and persisting complications."

A lawsuit filed Jan. 5 in Galveston County District Court says Dr. Raza Pasha misdiagnosed and improperly treated Rincey R. Wick's mild-to-moderate obstructive sleep apnea.

The original petition shows Wick sought treatment from Raza and Texas Otolaryngology Partners LP for snoring and fatigue on Oct. 1, 2009. Wick was admitted to Methodist Hospital for planned surgery a month later.

She underwent a uvulopharyngopalatoplasty, tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy, hyoid myotemy and geniouglossus advancement on Nov. 2, 2009, and was discharged two days later.

The operation, however, proved to be unsuccessful, according to the suit.

Wick sought additional treatment in January and April 2010 and went under three additional surgeries to correct Raza's actions, the suit states.

"All three of the plaintiff's ENT surgeons, speech language pathologists and the plaintiff's original surgeon have uniformly concluded that the plaintiff suffers from ongoing multiple and chronic complications as a direct result of the extensive simultaneous multilevel surgery on Nov. 2, 2009," the suit says.

Consequently, Wick seeks unspecified monetary damages and a jury trial.

fair use from:
http://www.setexasrecord.com/news/241198...ce-lawsuit
The above post may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The material available is intended to advance the understanding of Sleep Apnea treatment and to advance the educational level of Sleep Apnea patients with regard to their health. Sometimes included is the full text of articles and documents rather than a simple link because outside links frequently "go bad" or change over time. This constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material in this post is distributed without fee or payment of any kind for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this post for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep apnea surgery leads to malpractice lawsuit
Anyone who is contemplating any kind of surgery to try to avoid CPAP use should read this very carefully! A marathon of surgeries is what this woman had.

IMHO (& YES, this is MY opinion only) a lot of the surgeries (& even devices) being pushed don't even have a minor chance of one getting off of CPAP.

I am actually surprised that more lawsuits have not been filed.
Using the ResMed Mirage SoftGel Nasal Mask with a chinstrap

I do not use either the Ramp nor the EPR Comfort features

Have been on CPAP since December 1998

This is my 3rd machine

I use the ResMed ResScan Software (Version 3.16)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Worsening OSA After Bariatric Surgery Ibrumley 1 23 22 minutes ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 238 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 352 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 292 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.