Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] "Sleep apnea takes a toll on brain function" [Science Daily, new study results]
"Sleep apnea takes a toll on brain function" [Science Daily, new study results]

[ScienceDaily -- Feb. 12, 2016] Sleep apnea takes a toll on brain function

Researchers find changes in two key brain chemicals in patients with most common type of this disorder

UCLA researchers looked at levels of these neurotransmitters -- glutamate and gamma-aminobutyric acid, known as GABA -- in a brain region called the insula, which integrates signals from higher brain regions to regulate emotion, thinking and physical functions such as blood pressure and perspiration. They found that people with sleep apnea had decreased levels of GABA and unusually high levels of glutamate.

GABA is a chemical messenger that acts as an inhibitor in the brain, which can slow things down and help to keep people calm -- like a brake pedal. GABA affects mood and helps make endorphins.

Glutamate, by contrast, is like an accelerator; when glutamate levels are high, the brain is working in a state of stress, and consequently doesn't function as effectively. High levels of glutamate can also be toxic to nerves and neurons.

"In previous studies, we've seen structural changes in the brain due to sleep apnea, but in this study we actually found substantial differences in these two chemicals that influence how the brain is working," said Paul Macey, the lead researcher on the study and an associate professor at the UCLA School of Nursing.

Macey said the researchers were taken aback by the differences in the GABA and glutamate levels.

"It is rare to have this size of difference in biological measures," Macey said. "We expected an increase in the glutamate, because it is a chemical that causes damage in high doses and we have already seen brain damage from sleep apnea. What we were surprised to see was the drop in GABA. That made us realize that there must be a reorganization of how the brain is working."

People with sleep apnea also often report problems with thinking such as poor concentration, difficulty with memory and decision-making, depression, and stress.

... in addition to prescribing CPAP, physicians now know to pay attention to helping their patients who have these other symptoms.

Source: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...102347.htm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I immediately wondered about which foods are high in "glutamate" (to reduce) and which foods are high in "GABA" (to increase).

Glutamate highs: bread, cows milk products (milk,cheese), soy
GABA: kefir, miso, sauerkraut, yogurt

(As usual, I eat lots of Glutamate stuff and none of the GABA stuff.)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: "Sleep apnea takes a toll on brain function"
Quote: >But the research results further stated that, even with CPAP, two chemical conditions result:<

This is contradicted by the article linked, which states: >In future studies, the researchers hope to determine whether treating the sleep apnea -- using CPAP or other methods -- returns patients' brain chemicals back to normal levels. <

So they don't know, yet, whether treatment restores normal levels. In my experience, the symptoms, at least, are reduced, as far as I can tell.

As for changing one's diet, it might help, or not, depending on whether or not the body produces its own supplies.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: "Sleep apnea takes a toll on brain function" [Science Daily, new study results]
I had pretty much all those symptoms for about the last two decades prior to CPAP. In the four years since they all pretty much subsided. In fact, I didn't even realize I was depressed. I thought I just didn't feel good. But now that I feel more like my old self I realize it was a bit more than that.

So, I'd be surprised if those neurotransmitter levels are still abnormal.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: "Sleep apnea takes a toll on brain function" [Science Daily, new study results]
" which foods are high in "GABA" (to increase)"

Known to promote brain health by reducing anxiety, improving sleep and providing an overall sense of calm, the neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid, also known as GABA, acts as a messenger to regulate various functions throughout the body.

GABA is the metabolic byproduct of plants and microorganisms. While GABA is not found in fresh food, it can be found in fermented foods, and certain foods can stimulate your body to produce more of it. Fermented foods also commonly contain tyramine, which is contraindicated if you take MAOIs.

Does anybody drink a fermented food, if so do you feel better ?  Is so please suggest what works for you. Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 110 7 hours ago
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  Questions on sleep study nikkib9899 0 50 Yesterday, 01:18 PM
Last Post: nikkib9899
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 0 52 03-17-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 114 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 156 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 13 279 03-12-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 5 194 03-12-2024, 03:56 PM
Last Post: RoughriderTR

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.