An Overland Park, KS man who was home sleeping after working the night shift escaped from a fire today after his smoke alarm woke him.
Firefighters responded to the fire about 8:30 a.m. at a house in the 10500 block of West 92nd Place, said fire spokesman Jason Rhodes. They found the fire inside a downstairs laundry room.
The resident was outside the house when firefighters arrived. He told fire officials that he was asleep when the alarm sounded. When he got up, the house was filling with smoke so he escaped, Rhodes said.
The man told firefighters that he uses a device for sleep apnea that prevented him from smelling the smoke, so it was the alarm that saved his life.
Firefighters contained the fire to the laundry room. The house, however, suffered significant smoke damage.
fair use from: