Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] Study: CPAP makes you more attractive
Study: CPAP makes you more attractive
...and now from the "Lookin' Good Department":

Treating Sleep Apnea with CPAP Gives Better Looks

By Roshni Mahesh

A common non-invasive procedure used to treat sleep apnea at home can make patients look smarter, a new study says.

A team of University of Michigan researchers found that continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) therapy brought remarkable results for people struggling with obstructive sleep apnea, a disorder that causes abnormal stoppage of breathing while sleeping, and made them more attractive, youthful and alert than earlier.

Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) is a machine that delivers air at a predetermined pressure through a mask placed over the nose.

Nearly 45 percent of the world's population is affected with different sleep-related problems like insomnia, restless legs syndrome (RLS), sleep deprivation and sleep-related respiratory disturbances such as obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). Previous studies have shown that lack of getting goodnight's sleep can make people look unattractive, sad and unhealthy. Apart from that, sleep deprivation increases the risk of severe health problems like hypertension, heart disease, stroke and diabetes, poor alertness, lack of attention, reduced concentration, decreased work, academic productivity and road accidents.

For the study, researchers selected 20 adults with obstructive sleep apnea. Photos of the participants, before and after undergoing continuous airway pressure therapy, were taken. Researchers asked 22 people, including medical professionals to observe and compare the photos.

Observers reported that the images of the patients after the therapy, looked more alert (68 percent), more attractive (67 percent) and youthful (64 percent) than before the treatment. Researchers found that the therapy helped decrease forehead surface volume, redness under eyes and on the cheeks.

Researchers hoped that their findings will help encourage people affected with the sleep disorder to use the continuous positive airway pressure machine regularly.

"This study showed that independent human raters - both medical personnel and members of the community - can perceive improved alertness, attractiveness, and youthfulness in the appearance of sleepy patients with obstructive sleep apnea, after they have been compliant with use of CPAP at home," lead author and principal investigator Ronald D. Chervin, director of the Sleep Disorders Center at the University of Michigan, said in a news release.

"This may help convince patients to use their CPAP machines on a nightly basis," he added.

The study has been published on 15 September in the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine.

Fair use from:
http://www.ibtimes.co.in/articles/506363...nefits.htm

The above post may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The material available is intended to advance the understanding of Sleep Apnea treatment and to advance the educational level of Sleep Apnea patients with regard to their health. Sometimes included is the full text of articles and documents rather than a simple link because outside links frequently "go bad" or change over time. This constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material in this post is distributed without fee or payment of any kind for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this post for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Study: CPAP makes you more attractive
Well, getting enough uninterrupted sleep will definitely make one look better!! And I am sure there are some people out there that will use their CPAP because they look better but I am going to use mine so I have a chance to wake up in the morning!! Sleep well everyone!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2013, 07:44 PM)ApneaNews Wrote: Researchers found that the therapy helped decrease forehead surface volume

What does this mean exactly? Does CPAP make your head smaller?
Post Reply Post Reply
Love the concept - I can use all the help I can get!
Post Reply Post Reply
Baby, I am already GORGEOUS!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2013, 11:10 PM)Paptillian Wrote:
(09-16-2013, 07:44 PM)ApneaNews Wrote: Researchers found that the therapy helped decrease forehead surface volume

It means you will look marvelous, but your head will be somewhat diminished, as in the picture below:

[Image: 1020323.1145166290196.small_head.jpg]
Man who has used CPAP for several years
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2013, 07:07 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:

It means you will look marvelous, but your head will be somewhat diminished, as in the picture below:

lol thanks for starting my morning off with a laugh
Post Reply Post Reply
Dielaughing

Pros and cons I guess... Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2013, 07:07 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:

I hope this only happens to the men!! lol
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 238 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 65 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.