Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] WARNING -- DISCOUNTED MACHINES
Angry 
WARNING -- DISCOUNTED MACHINES
Just saying -- for those offered a discounted device...

I was offered a deeply discounted ResMed AirSense 10 today and asked the seller to send me a photo of the bottom of the machine. I determined that it has the old "CDMA" 3G modem and would not be able to transmit data to my DME, my healthcare provider, or myAir after the 3G (3rd Generation) network is shut down at the end of December 2020 and the frequencies re-allocated to newer 4G devices. 

This machine would be great for a backup or a "camping" machine where modem connectivity is not an issue. And, of course, the full data would still be captured on the SD card for import into OSCAR or to give to your healthcare provider.

Caveat Emptor (Let the Buyer Beware)
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: WARNING -- DISCOUNTED MACHINES
Well that wouldn't bother me as my Healthcare Provider does not get any data from me anyway.
My machine is off during the day and it is not on till very late or early next day when I go to bed.
If they want any data from me they have to ask for the card.  The machine has a sim card in it for a network and I do get a signal here from the network.  To my knowledge they have never downloaded anything.  Plus they said when I got the machine if they wanted data they would ask for the card.  however, with this Covid thing they are all to busy as here in the UK most of the Sleep Clinics are attached to the Chest Clinic.
If you phone them just now you get a message saying that they are very busy with Covid 19 and that they will look at the messages left at some point during the week and send out spares.  If the machine breaks down, spares are required for mask, tubing, filters etc, DO NOT COME TO THE HOSPITAL.  In other words, stay away we are far to busy to deal with you at the moment.  :-(
I can understand this, with most spares I can wait, but if the machine breaks down 8-0 what am I to do, panic panic.
It is not that bad for me as I got a second hand BRICK form someone here for the price of the postage (I gave him twice what it cost to send it, even if he didn't ask) so I can survive.  However, it does not work with the thin tubing which is a bit of a pain as it means i can't use the mask I usually do.

I can understand the warning you are putting out as a lot of the DME's monitor you over the air.

Why can they not change the modem I wonder?  Is it built into the main circuit board? 
I can't answer that as I have not had a look see!

I have seen inside one, but I was not looking for a modem.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2020, 06:23 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: Just saying -- for those offered a discounted device...

I was offered a deeply discounted ResMed AirSense 10 today and asked the seller to send me a photo of the bottom of the machine. I determined that it has the old "CDMA" 3G modem and would not be able to transmit data to my DME, my healthcare provider, or myAir after the 3G (3rd Generation) network is shut down at the end of December 2020 and the frequencies re-allocated to newer 4G devices. 

This machine would be great for a backup or a "camping" machine where modem connectivity is not an issue. And, of course, the full data would still be captured on the SD card for import into OSCAR or to give to your healthcare provider.

where are you getting this from? I don't see anything remotely similar to what you are saying on the bottom of either of our s-10's. do you have a picture of what you are looking at? Thanks.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=22677 Wrote:greatunclebill pid='349333' dateline='1588823815']
where are you getting this from? I don't see anything remotely similar to what you are saying on the bottom of either of our s-10's. do you have a picture of what you are looking at? Thanks.

@greatunclebill

CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) in yellow highlight indicates this is a 3G modem.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=22677]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
That's good to be aware of, for those who do care about that connectivity.
Post Reply Post Reply
That machine also pre-dates the only over-the-air firmware update that corrected a humidifier problem, so it may need a firmware flash as well. https://www.rmdassets.com/airsolutions/a...%20V15.pdf The serial number and devce is blurred out, so can't tell for sure
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good deal. mine are both above the mentioned serial number and both have fcc id: 2achl-air104g on the back of the machine.

Thanks   Sleep-well
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2020, 06:23 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: Just saying -- for those offered a discounted device...

Inability to transmit data?!?!

That is properly called a "FEATURE" not a "BUG".

OMMOHY
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
IS there a way to get my CDMA Airsense a new Chip so it can communicate with the 4G network? I recently started using my CPAP again and i hate that 12 months ago I lost the ability here in Canada to see "My Air"
Post Reply Post Reply
Frank, there is no way for you to change the modem chip in your machine and register the modified unit with Resmed. The information in MyAir isn't worth it anyway. You have the best data on the planet with Oscar.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 75 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 618 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 673 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 498 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 595 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines britincanada 505 83,137 11-12-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Angry [Equipment] KILLER STORY ON PHILLIPS CPAP MACHINES srlevine1 10 2,020 11-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.