Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] What naturals drugs against sleeplessness?
What naturals drugs against sleeplessness?
What naturals drugs against sleeplessness?

An insomniac is unable to get sufficient and sound sleep at night. Research shows that some natural herbs can completely cure the problem without any drug dependency

by S. C.

Insomnia is the disorder characterized by sleeplessness. An insomniac is unable to get sufficient sleep at night. The reasons leading to insomnia vary from person to person. Sudden shock or trauma, stress, narcolepsy, sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome, asthma, acid reflux, chronic pain, change in sleep routine are some of the leading causes of insomnia. Doctors first study the root cause of the problem and then prescribe cures. Altering lifestyle is the first step towards curing insomnia. Chronic insomniacs are advised to maintain a regular sleep schedule. It is also advised to create a sleep inducing ambience prior to retiring to bed, i.e. the room should be made quiet and dark. Yogic exercises too help a lot because they relax nerve cells and allow you to sleep soundly.

Herbal sleeping aids, also known as natural sleeping aids are found to be quite effective in curing insomnia. Research shows that some natural herbs can completely cure the problem and unlike synthetic medications, these herbs do not at all create any drug dependency. The herbal sleeping remedies would give you the same calmness as would be with a prescription sleeping pill and the positive aspect of these herbs is that they produce no side-effects. But always remember that herbal aids will work far more effectively if you make the necessary lifestyle changes.

Here follows a list of some very popular herbal sleeping aids:

1. Valerian is a popular herbal sleeping aid. It contains Valium that acts as an effective relaxant, calming your mind, warding off anxiety, stress and putting you to sleep.

2. Kava kava is one of the effective herbal sleeping aids. The herb eases tension, relaxes tensed muscles, treats fatigue and induces sleep.

3. Lemon balm is a beneficial herbal sleeping aid. It contains a compound Terpenes which induces deep sleep. You can drink lemon balm tea or use lemon balm capsules, oil and tinctures.

4. The herb passiflora helps you to sleep better due to its sedative nature. It also protects you from menstrual issues, whooping cough and chronic pain.

5. Maca
is a great herbal remedy for insomniacs. It is a rare blend of essential vitamins that stabilize mood and improve sleep quality.

6. Chamomile
is an effective herbal sleeping aid. The compounds present in chamomile induce deep sleep. The mild flavor of this herb eases tension and anxiety. One needs to drink chamomile tea before retiring to bed in order to do away with insomnia.

fair use from:
http://www.teatronaturale.com/article/3416.html

The above post may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The material available is intended to advance the understanding of Sleep Apnea treatment and to advance the educational level of Sleep Apnea patients with regard to their health. Sometimes included is the full text of articles and documents rather than a simple link because outside links frequently "go bad" or change over time. This constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material in this post is distributed without fee or payment of any kind for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this post for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
RE: What naturals drugs against sleeplessness?
Chamomile rips up my stomach. I get really ill.

Not heard of Maca. I need to look that one up.

Passiflora is decent but hard to find, at least here.

No tried lemon balm either. Another one to look up.

I thought kava kava was proven to be false? Or dangerous or something?

Valerian is interesting. I've not had much success with it.

I'm now take two meds with the side effect of drowsiness. Now that the one has been in my system a week, I have noticed I get sleepy at about 1am or sooner.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

I have not had any success taking valerian either. On those nights that I have problems sleeping, I meditate until I fall asleep. Om mani padme hum repeated over and over and over clears the disturbing thoughts and allows sleep. I doubt that it will work for everyone but it does help me.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

(05-10-2012, 11:12 PM)Cutter Wrote: Om mani padme hum repeated over and over and over clears the disturbing thoughts and allows sleep.

Well, that would put ME to sleep, whether I did it or just listened to you! Dielaughing
Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
I do a lot of meditations to help with my insomnia. Mostly just deep breathing and clearing the mind.

But I'm blonde so it's not very difficult.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

I am on an SSRI and have to be careful with herbals- consult my psychiatrist- because of their effects on serotonin.. Had serotonin syndrome once from kava. Nasty.
I hate articles like this one. Claims are being made for a variety of different herbal/natural remidies, but there are no references for any controlled clinical studies or physiologic studies on animals to show any truth to the basis of these claims.
(06-29-2012, 09:42 AM)BabyDoc Wrote: I hate articles like this one. Claims are being made for a variety of different herbal/natural remidies, but there are no references for any controlled clinical studies or physiologic studies on animals to show any truth to the basis of these claims.

I wish there were more clinical studies for herbal remedies as well...

That said, there are specific reasons as to why not many expensive controlled, clinical scientific studies are done for "natural" remedies such as those in the article. Big pharmaceutical companies are interested in making profit, and you can't easily patent a plant or herb in order to make exclusive profit under patent laws, therefore the incentive to provide corporate funding for scientific studies for alternative treatments is insignificant when compared to the monies available for studying a company's patented drug.

The lack of scientific study proving or disproving the validity of some of these claims for herbal remedies should not be automatically viewed as evidence of "quackery". The reason no studies exist is because you can't patent a natural herb, therefore there is no major financial incentive to fund clinical studies for herbal remedies.

Here's one example I copied from a commercial forum that talks about using soap for RLS. I thought it was an interesting viewpoint:

Quote:This past weekend, I heard you read a comment from a listener who was critical of the reports you do on 'unproven' remedies. Included in the listener's criticism was the use of soap under a mattress for restless legs.

I get the criticism, and have 2 observations. First, in this case, a lack of double-blind, double-dummy research into THIS treatment for restless legs is a reflection of funding to do the research. It also reflects the pattern of traditional funding sources to ignore 'home remedies' in favor of 'new' money-making drugs and procedures.

Second, I work as a dance host and dance instructors on cruise ships (yea, I know a tough job, but hey, someone has to do it). On several floats, I had the same cabin mate who had a severe case of restless legs. So severe were his cramps that previous cabin mates requested not be be reassigned to his cabin. It was so bad that it would wake me up at night, and I was across the aisle.

I repeatedly told him about soap, but his response was, "If you can't tell me how it works, I don't want to hear about it." As hard as I tried, I could not get him to just try it for a night. On one float it was particularly bad due to the amount of hiking we were doing during shore excursions. So, I decided to put some soap under his mattress without his knowledge.

The next night, I removed it, and repeated this process for several nights. And each night the soap was there, he did not wake me up and reported no or SIGNIFICANTLY reduced problems from restless legs during the night and during the following day. When I asked him to comment on why he had so many 'good' nights on the float, he was at a loss to explain it. Eventually I revealed the truth, and he was flabbergasted. He now uses soap, and we joke about it every time we end up on the same schedule.

The lesson here is that we have been brainwashed to believe that SCIENCE, SCIENTIFIC REASON, and SCIENTIFIC INQUIRY is the only valid approach to problems. Intuition and 'old fashioned' reasoning and remedies are out like the baby with the bath water. In my opinion, this devotion to the scientific reasoning way of thinking comes out of a materialistic and marketing 'snow job' and was pitched by companies to get our money, minds and hearts.

Do you remember the slogan, "better living through chemistry"? Easy to believe, hard to prove!

I also want to suggest that if the 'industry' did do research into why soap works for restless legs, a new, innovative and as yet undiscovered class of drugs and delivery system would be uncovered. Think about it. This research could lead to a Nobel Prize, don't you think? And, in my opinion, the same holds true for other 'home remedies'.

We need to embrace the unconventional, and apply scientific inquiry to determine the effectiveness of the unconventional.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

The problem with herbal medicine is that there are absolutely no controls over it. The FDA does a poor job of supervising this industry. You can't assume that all of these herbals are safe, let alone helpful, just because they are being sold without a prescription.

Some of them, DO have pharmacologic effects, but not always the intended effect for which they are being advocated. Furthermore, some may interact adversely if taken in combination with other herbals or prescription medications.

I fear that people, as despirate as they for a good night's sleep, go ahead with lists like this and take a bunch of different substances at the same time. (They sound harmless, don't they?) We really don't know what they are doing and need to be more careful, with both their untested short and long term effects.
I'll swap you insomnia for walking dead any day Oh-jeez

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still tired, next step DRUGS! oldfart59 10 3,094 09-29-2017, 02:41 PM
Last Post: chill
Angry Forced to sleeplessness Sleptgoodb4 15 4,181 09-27-2015, 03:04 PM
Last Post: Sleptgoodb4
  drugs and cpap readyforsleep 13 4,542 07-04-2015, 12:26 AM
Last Post: vsheline
  I Want Drugs! Dreamcatcher 5 4,475 06-30-2012, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Speed The Facts (Dont Do Drugs) Dreamcatcher 17 9,751 05-28-2012, 08:26 AM
Last Post: mjbearit
  meds/drugs to relieve symptoms? gm25 2 2,867 05-09-2012, 07:41 AM
Last Post: zimlich

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.