Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] Widow Sues Trucker and Wins $3.25-Million In Sleep-Apnea Case
Widow Sues Trucker and Wins $3.25-Million In Sleep-Apnea Case
Widow Sues Trucker and Wins $3.25-Million In Sleep-Apnea Case

TORONTO — Think the sleep apnea issue can remain on your back burner? Celadon sure knows better.

A Texas widow recently won a $3.25-million lawsuit against the carrier, claiming that the driver in the Celadon truck that collided with her car was a sleep-apnea sufferer. Furthermore, he had been fired from a previous job because he refused to have as sleep-apnea test.

The lawsuit was filed in Dallas County District Court and the award was announced in mid-December.

According to local media reports, Wanda Lindsay and her husband John were stopped at a construction zone near Texarcana when they were rear-ended by an 18-wheeler. Evidence showed that the trucker was in cruise and traveling at about 65 mph. Mr. Lindsay died as a result of the crash.

After the crash, Lindsay’s lawyer Jim Cole testified that the truck driver had severe uncontrolled sleep apnea and had tried to gain employment with 30 other companies before being hired by Celadon. Cole also acknowledged that the settlement marks the first time a trucking company has acknowledged that sleep apnea might have contributed to a crash involving a death.

Sleep apnea is growing into one of the trucking industry’s most pressing issues.

fair use from:
http://www.todaystrucking.com/news.cfm?intDocID=28094
The above post may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The material available is intended to advance the understanding of Sleep Apnea treatment and to advance the educational level of Sleep Apnea patients with regard to their health. Sometimes included is the full text of articles and documents rather than a simple link because outside links frequently "go bad" or change over time. This constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material in this post is distributed without fee or payment of any kind for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this post for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Widow Sues Trucker and Wins $3.25-Million In Sleep-Apnea Case
We have a journalist? or is he classed as a proper spammer lolToo-funny

What I dont understand is if people with HGV or PSV licence have to have medicals to obtain them why arnt they checked for OSA? and why doesnt it now become compulsary that all drivers should have to take a medical to say they have/havenot got the condition. Makes sense, I dont want to have an accident with some trucker who couldnt be bothered to get checked. They should be prosecuted if they dont and have there licence revoked.
Post Reply Post Reply
It has been said that 1/3 of all accidental deaths involve cars and every 15 minutes someone dies in a car crash.
Surely not every collision involve untreated sleep apnea driver!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2012, 02:45 PM)zonk Wrote: It has been said that 1/3 of all accidental deaths involve cars and every 15 minutes someone dies in a car crash.
Surely not every collision involve untreated sleep apnea driver!

The rest were probably drunk Unsure

Post Reply Post Reply
Studies have shown that driving sleep deprived is as bad as driving drunk.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2012, 04:58 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Studies have shown that driving sleep deprived is as bad as driving drunk.

I believe them. Inattention is the common denominator, or at least one of them.
My age is none of my mind's business. --- Netskier
Post Reply Post Reply
I,m thinking to do a poll about possible causes of car accidents
Here is a list of ten, what can be taken out and put in place
[only ten options allowed in a poll]
1- sleep deprivation
2- talking/texting on mobile phone
3- alcohol/drug influence
4- eating/drinking
5- under stress
6- listen to radio
7- doing hair/makeup
8- kissing/cuddling
9- looking at billboard
10- dressing/undressing

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2012, 01:37 PM)Gazby Wrote: We have a journalist? or is he classed as a proper spammer lolToo-funny

ApneaNews is a classified secret agent/reporter stationed deep behind enemy lines. Can't tell you much more than that or we would be blowing his/her cover. Cool

Loose lips sink ships. Whistle
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2012, 05:30 PM)zonk Wrote: I,m thinking to do a poll about possible causes of car accidents
Here is a list of ten, what can be taken out and put in place
[only ten options allowed in a poll]
1- sleep deprivation
2- talking/texting on mobile phone
3- alcohol/drug influence
4- eating/drinking
5- under stress
6- listen to radio
7- doing hair/makeup
8- kissing/cuddling
9- looking at billboard
10- dressing/undressing

I'd say all of the above.

Myth Busters did one a while back on driving while mad. They made more errors and used more gas.

And I don't see how folks text and drive. I see it all the time, though. I tried it once. Gave up. If the phone rings and I am alone, I ignore it. That's what voice mail is for. If someone wants me THAT bad, they know to call right back. Second call from same person, I pull over. Otherwise, you must wait, grasshopper.

They put up several of those digital billboards around here in the craziest, most insane stop/go/crazy traffic areas. And accidents (fender benders) increased within view of the billboards. They're taking them down.

So is the poll "What do you think is the number once cause of vehicle accidents? Or "What do you think contributes to? (pick all that apply)"
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2012, 08:59 AM)ApneaNews Wrote: After the crash, Lindsay’s lawyer Jim Cole testified...

Must be real different in Toronto. In the US, a party's attorney can't "testify" - give media interviews, probably; testify - no.

Where I live, I would have to add "reading" to the list, although I wouldn't know for sure what to delete. Talk about frightening - on an Interstate, in heavy traffic, heading into a downtown area in the morning - and people are reading!
Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 230 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 289 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 126 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 560 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.