Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flow Limitations
RE: Flow Limitations
(07-31-2015, 12:32 PM)PaytonA Wrote: One thing to keep in mind when considering hypopneas is that not all hypopneas are obstructive. Some are centrals.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

I had a very low central index on my study, and rarely show CA in sleepyhead - even with higher pressure and epr3 - so i dont think central is an issue for me, but good to keep in mind!

(07-31-2015, 12:38 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Respironics reports RERA in all data capable machines, so BiPAP yes. Resmed seems to have incorporated RERA into the Airsense 10 autosets, but I don't know about the Aircurve VPAP line.

(07-31-2015, 01:42 PM)iSnore Wrote: Respironics' BIPAP (DS760) also has the option of using an auto-adjusted range of Pressure Support, rather than just a fixed value.

Good to know! I am leaning towards respironics equipment if I change machines for the better off-grid capabilities, if nothing else. From what I have read on this board, the differences in algorithm have to do with pressure pulses and adjustments, and I seem to be fairly impervious to those from a sleep disruption standpoint.

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
If you go with Respironics, I recommend you buy the "TS" bundle, i.e. DS760TS. It comes with the DS6T heated tube humidifier (including heated tube) at a huge discount. AFAIK, Supplier #10 is perhaps the only one who carries it. The rest charge you the same as the prices of the CPAP and DS6T humidifier combined.
Post Reply Post Reply
my insurance coverage is 100% of any equipment that is shown to be medically necessary - so DME it is - but going in informed will be better than how it was before. Then I was lucky they like to give the S9 Autoset Big Grin I could easily be the proud owner of a brick. lol.
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2015, 12:56 AM)AshSF Wrote: Conventional wisdom says there are multiple stages of your airway's compromise:
1) When your airflow rate starts decreasing, it shows as flow limitation.
2) it reduces further and typically causes a RERA in most individuals.
3) if RERA is not induced to correct the airway patency, it becomes a hypopnea.
4) If it collapses further, it will become an obstructive event.

Your machine (S9) reports all of stage 1 and 2 as flow limitations. Why it doesn't show an FL of 1 before an O event is beyond my level of competence.

A Flow Limitation score of "1.0" would mean the shape of the Flow plot ("Flow" is the estimated rate of air entering our airway during inhalation and exiting our airway during exhalation) looks precisely like an idealized Flow Limited shape. An idealized Flow Limited shape would show a very short period at the start of inhalation where the Flow would start to rise normally but then the Flow would immediately drop and level off at a lower amount of Flow, and the Flow waveform would remain flat at the lower (but still positive) rate during the remainder of the inhalation portion (positive portion) of the Flow waveform.

Respiratory Effort Related Arousal (RERA) is an arousal caused by needing to exert excessive effort during inhalation because of a type of partial obstruction in the airway which occurs only during inhalation, only while we are trying hard to suck air into our lungs. The suction and the "venturi" action of the airflow through our airway cause our airway to narrow, limiting the rate at which we can inhale air, just like trying to suck harder through a weak or soggy straw will tend to cause the straw to close off further. The amount of effort we had been exerting had been sufficient to maintain the Flow at a level which was high enough that an hypopnea was not scored, but the Flow Limitation and effort eventually resulted in an arousal (RERA). In turn, the arousal (RERA) would have brought a short period of increased Flow until we returned to a deeper level of sleep.

Conceptually, RERA is by definition already an obstructive event, but not one of the events which are counted in the AHI.

RERA events are counted in the Respiratory Disturbance Index (RDI). Therefore, the RDI is a better indicator of sleep quality than AHI.

RDI = AHI plus the average number of RERA events per hour

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that you could look at apnea events as a narrowing of the normal (somewhat) flow wave form until it becomes a flat line or nearly so. Now you have an apnea. If the wave form only narrowed part of the way to a flat line (within the limits defined for a hypopnea), then it would be scored as a hypopnea.

Flow limitations are, as it has been indicated, a change in the shape of the wave form that results in a reduction of the flow. Not as much of a reduction as a hypopnea and apparently reduced differently.

At least those are my thoughts!

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 78 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 250 3 hours ago
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 307 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 112 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,609 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.