Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] Your CPAP can't help you with Email Apnea
Grin 
Suffering From Email Apnea?

By Stephanie Stahl

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Anxiety and anticipation about what’s in your email or other electronic messages, like texts, can cause some health issues. Some say it’s a new condition that could affect anyone who uses an electronic device.

Tech expert Linda Stone says, “What concerns me is the cumulative effect.”

She’s sounding the alarm about a subconscious reaction that can happen when checking in electronically. People sometimes hold their breath, something that’s being called “email apnea.”

“It turns out about 80% of us experience this when we’re in front of a screen, especially when we’re texting or doing email,” explains Stone.

Psychologist Dr. Fred Meunch studies the impact of technology on the body. He says it’s poor posture, combined with the anticipation we experience before opening email, that puts people at risk for email apnea.

“What that’s doing physiologically is causing a stress response reaction,” he adds.

ENT Josh Werber says, “I think we’re gonna hear more about this.”

He worries about the long term effect that could be similar to sleep apnea.

“There could be subtle consequences with respect to blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, and things that are associated with that,” says Dr. Werber.

There are some who say there isn’t enough evidence or science about this to prove that it really exists, but experts say that awareness of your breathing and any anxious feelings is the first step to deal with email apnea. They also recommend patients take a five-minute break every hour from the computer.

Fair Use from:
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/12...ail-apnea/

The above post may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The material available is intended to advance the understanding of Sleep Apnea treatment and to advance the educational level of Sleep Apnea patients with regard to their health. Sometimes included is the full text of articles and documents rather than a simple link because outside links frequently "go bad" or change over time. This constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material in this post is distributed without fee or payment of any kind for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this post for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I can imagine doing that. When it was pointed out to me that people stop breathing when reading, I couldn't imagine. Then I thought about it for a minute and realized how true it really is.

So sure--accessing one's e-mail could certainly have the same effect for the same reason: Anticipation.

Thanks for sharing this!

Lamb
To all, to each, a fair good-night,
And pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.
Scott—Marmion. L’Envoy. To the Reader.

Diagnosed with OSA September 2014
AHI=18
Lowest SpO2: 79%
Post Reply Post Reply
Big difference between a few (to many) times per day, compared to 30-100 times per hour while trying to sleep. Least in my thinking anyhow?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

(01-03-2015, 07:50 PM)ApneaNews Wrote: Suffering From Email Apnea?

By Stephanie Stahl

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Anxiety and anticipation about what’s in your email or other electronic messages, like texts, can cause some health issues. Some say it’s a new condition that could affect anyone who uses an electronic device.

Tech expert Linda Stone says, “What concerns me is the cumulative effect.”

She’s sounding the alarm about a subconscious reaction that can happen when checking in electronically. People sometimes hold their breath, something that’s being called “email apnea.”

. . .

Psychologist Dr. Fred Meunch studies the impact of technology on the body. He says it’s poor posture, combined with the anticipation we experience before opening email, that puts people at risk for email apnea.

“What that’s doing physiologically is causing a stress response reaction,” he adds.

ENT Josh Werber says, “I think we’re gonna hear more about this.”

He worries about the long term effect that could be similar to sleep apnea.

This smells to me like a bunch of people leaping onto a bandwagon, to get their names associated with something and grab some publicity. On the face of it, to compare the effects of momentarily holding your breath while awake to what happens when someone is unconsious (asleep) hour after hour is absurd.

(01-03-2015, 07:50 PM)ApneaNews Wrote: There are some who say there isn’t enough evidence or science about this to prove that it really exists, . . .

Count me in this group until there is some good science to say this exists. If it ever is shown to exist, the effects will be an order of magnitude or more below the effects of SA. More journalistic sensationalism ????
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2015, 11:01 AM)becker44a Wrote: This smells to me like a bunch of people leaping onto a bandwagon, to get their names associated with something and grab some publicity. On the face of it, to compare the effects of momentarily holding your breath while awake to what happens when someone is unconsious (asleep) hour after hour is absurd.

Thank you Becker, for doing the typing for me. What a bunch of BS.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree, What a bunch of BS.
Sounds like they have too much time on their hands.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [News] Yahoo Email hacked passwords - change your Yahoo email password SuperSleeper 3 3,270 07-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  BEST EMAIL SOFTWARE? TorontoCPAPguy 17 5,484 06-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Last Post: mjbearit