[News] Your CPAP can't help you with Email Apnea
ApneaNews Offline
Apnea News Correspondent
Advisory Members

Machine: IBM Selectric II
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: 3M N95 (it gets dusty in the newsroom)
Humidifier: Sears Kenmore (circa 1979)
CPAP Pressure: 3200 psi
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: I report, therefore I am.

Sex: Undisclosed

Grin Your CPAP can't help you with Email Apnea
Suffering From Email Apnea?

By Stephanie Stahl

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Anxiety and anticipation about what’s in your email or other electronic messages, like texts, can cause some health issues. Some say it’s a new condition that could affect anyone who uses an electronic device.

Tech expert Linda Stone says, “What concerns me is the cumulative effect.”

She’s sounding the alarm about a subconscious reaction that can happen when checking in electronically. People sometimes hold their breath, something that’s being called “email apnea.”

“It turns out about 80% of us experience this when we’re in front of a screen, especially when we’re texting or doing email,” explains Stone.

Psychologist Dr. Fred Meunch studies the impact of technology on the body. He says it’s poor posture, combined with the anticipation we experience before opening email, that puts people at risk for email apnea.

“What that’s doing physiologically is causing a stress response reaction,” he adds.

ENT Josh Werber says, “I think we’re gonna hear more about this.”

He worries about the long term effect that could be similar to sleep apnea.

“There could be subtle consequences with respect to blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, and things that are associated with that,” says Dr. Werber.

There are some who say there isn’t enough evidence or science about this to prove that it really exists, but experts say that awareness of your breathing and any anxious feelings is the first step to deal with email apnea. They also recommend patients take a five-minute break every hour from the computer.

Fair Use from:
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/12...ail-apnea/

The above post may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The material available is intended to advance the understanding of Sleep Apnea treatment and to advance the educational level of Sleep Apnea patients with regard to their health. Sometimes included is the full text of articles and documents rather than a simple link because outside links frequently "go bad" or change over time. This constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material in this post is distributed without fee or payment of any kind for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this post for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
01-03-2015 07:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Lambsydoats Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit ™ P10 Nasal Pillow
Humidifier: AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her-integrated
CPAP Pressure: 8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Initially: AHI=52; 2nd: AHI=18; CPAP 11-10-14; as of 8-18-15: AHI consistently under 5.0

Sex: Female

RE: Your CPAP can't help you with Email Apnea
Well, I can imagine doing that. When it was pointed out to me that people stop breathing when reading, I couldn't imagine. Then I thought about it for a minute and realized how true it really is.

So sure--accessing one's e-mail could certainly have the same effect for the same reason: Anticipation.

Thanks for sharing this!

Lamb

To all, to each, a fair good-night,
And pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.
Scott—Marmion. L’Envoy. To the Reader.

Diagnosed with OSA September 2014
AHI=18
Lowest SpO2: 79%
01-04-2015 12:10 AM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

Sex: Male

Big difference between a few (to many) times per day, compared to 30-100 times per hour while trying to sleep. Least in my thinking anyhow?

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
01-04-2015 02:40 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
becker44a Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus Lg
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: Rx 10 - 20cm, Usually 10-14cm
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(01-03-2015 07:50 PM)ApneaNews Wrote:  Suffering From Email Apnea?

By Stephanie Stahl

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Anxiety and anticipation about what’s in your email or other electronic messages, like texts, can cause some health issues. Some say it’s a new condition that could affect anyone who uses an electronic device.

Tech expert Linda Stone says, “What concerns me is the cumulative effect.”

She’s sounding the alarm about a subconscious reaction that can happen when checking in electronically. People sometimes hold their breath, something that’s being called “email apnea.”

. . .

Psychologist Dr. Fred Meunch studies the impact of technology on the body. He says it’s poor posture, combined with the anticipation we experience before opening email, that puts people at risk for email apnea.

“What that’s doing physiologically is causing a stress response reaction,” he adds.

ENT Josh Werber says, “I think we’re gonna hear more about this.”

He worries about the long term effect that could be similar to sleep apnea.

This smells to me like a bunch of people leaping onto a bandwagon, to get their names associated with something and grab some publicity. On the face of it, to compare the effects of momentarily holding your breath while awake to what happens when someone is unconsious (asleep) hour after hour is absurd.

(01-03-2015 07:50 PM)ApneaNews Wrote:  There are some who say there isn’t enough evidence or science about this to prove that it really exists, . . .

Count me in this group until there is some good science to say this exists. If it ever is shown to exist, the effects will be an order of magnitude or more below the effects of SA. More journalistic sensationalism ????

A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
01-04-2015 11:01 AM
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(01-04-2015 11:01 AM)becker44a Wrote:  This smells to me like a bunch of people leaping onto a bandwagon, to get their names associated with something and grab some publicity. On the face of it, to compare the effects of momentarily holding your breath while awake to what happens when someone is unconsious (asleep) hour after hour is absurd.

Thank you Becker, for doing the typing for me. What a bunch of BS.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2015 11:05 AM by PaytonA.)
01-04-2015 12:46 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

I agree, What a bunch of BS.
Sounds like they have too much time on their hands.

trish6hundred
01-04-2015 07:04 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [News] Yahoo Email hacked passwords - change your Yahoo email password SuperSleeper 3 3,204 07-12-2012 09:02 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  BEST EMAIL SOFTWARE? TorontoCPAPguy 17 5,356 06-01-2012 05:45 PM
Last Post: mjbearit