Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Next step(s) after getting AHI <5
Next step(s) after getting AHI <5
New APAP user (in third week)

History:
PSG gave AHI of 57
started with 7-14

Noticed that many CA'S clustered when transitioning out of and into sleep. My habit was to stay in bed snoozing after waking but now get out of bed when awake. This change alone seems to bring the AHI below 5.

While on APAP only getting up once per night for bathroom which is big improvement as Type II Diabetic and though 2 or 3 times would be my norm.

Last night AHI was 1.99 with 1-OA /3-H/10-CA

Using Autostart and pressure at 5 until asleep. Typically within 5 - 10 min.

A10 ramps quickly (about 5 min) to mid 10 range and then cycles through pressure (up/down) in response to Flow Limitations.

Channel Min Med 95% Max
PressureTherapy Pressure (cmH2O)
W-Avg: 9.60 5.00 10.02 10.72 11.32
EPAPExpiratory Pressure (cmH2O)
W-Avg: 6.86 4.08 7.08 7.72 8.32

Next steps
1. Should the low range be increased to 9 from 7?
2. EPR is set to 3, should this be decreased to 1 or 2?

Still struggling with mask leakage and fitting (sore on bridge of nose) but think this is typical in adjusting to CPAP.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Next step(s) after getting AHI <5
(04-28-2016, 12:50 PM)Roy289 Wrote: Still struggling with mask leakage and fitting (sore on bridge of nose) but think this is typical in adjusting to CPAP.

You'll need to get that under control before worrying about the AHI and the pressure range, although it appears that lowering the EPR or the pressure, or both, might lower the number of central apneas.

A sore on your nose indicates a poor mask fit, as does the leaks. Contact your equipment provider and get a different mask. This is normal. Putting up with a poor-fitting mask is not!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You seem to be treated well where you are. Are you having problems sleeping? do you want to feel more rested the next day? From just what you have said I am not sure why you feel the need to change any settings, as far as treatment goes, your setting are fine.

Regardless of what the numbers say, if most of the apneas are happening when entering or exiting sleep, this is known as sleep/wake junk and are not really considered apneas by most.

You change the low range and/or EPR settings if you are having problems, on their own there is nothing wrong with the settings you have.

What is your goal?
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like you've done well. I don't know that you need to tweak the pressure settings anymore, if your AHI stays that low. You might experiment with the EPR. I don't know much about that, but from what I've read here, some people see a change in AHI, for better or worse, when they change the EPR setting. EPR is a "comfort" setting that provides a short "ramp" to full EPAP pressure when you exhale, as I understand it (Expiratory Pressure Relief, no?). At 3, you're at the highest comfort setting. You might see if reducing it does anything to the centrals. And see if there's any noticeable difference in comfort.
Post Reply Post Reply
My goal is to feel more rested in the morning and less tired during the day. Since using APAP haven't had urge to nap so that's progress.

Three masks have been tried,
F&P Flexifit 405 (came with A10)
Resmed N10 (not able to lie on my side due to stiff mask frame shifting mask )
Amara View ffm - many issues with leaking and returned after 2 days

went back to the 405 and trying different pillow insert from Med to Large to reduce pressure on nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried a nasal PILLOWS mask, at all? It's much smaller than a full face mask or a nasal mask. It just sits under your nose (and blocks some of your mouth). The only pressure points on mine are the nostrils and some days, the top lip (the philtrum, is that?) But you have to be able to keep your mouth closed -- you probably are doing that already, since you say you have a nasal mask. The AirSense P10 nasal pillows (google it for a picture) has soft straps going around your head, but no real frame beyond an inch from the nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't change actual pressure settings right now, but lowering EPR from 3 to 2 may help with the centrals.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are struggling with leakage your AHI and pressure settings may not be very relevant. I agree with Sleepster. You need to get the leaks under control first. Depending on the size and type of leaks, the rest of your data *may* be suspect.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
BadGoodDeb,
Not sure if I would tolerate pillow style of mask like Resmed P10. Certainly will try them if no success reducing leakage.

PaytonA,
Examining the leakage areas there doesn't appear to be apnea events nearby. Perhaps there is an impact on apneas but not sure. My goal is to reduce leakage to a minimum.

OpalRose,
May try reducing EPR to 2 as suggested

Thanks everyone for the comments
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Roy289,
Sounds like you are doing well.
Keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Next step after getting my study results. Soccoia 3 601 11-22-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Forum has helped...but now next step to improve nightgagger 62 5,687 01-05-2022, 05:21 AM
Last Post: Ratchick
  Next step? permabear 11 1,452 10-16-2021, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  5.0 to 0.1 & 0.0 in one step! Sleep2Snore 3 1,460 09-11-2019, 05:45 AM
Last Post: Sheepish
  Help, one step forward, two steps back sleepless badger 8 1,656 07-28-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: sleepless badger
  Still tired, next step DRUGS! oldfart59 10 3,089 09-29-2017, 02:41 PM
Last Post: chill
  A step in the right direction, I hope.... DonC 3 1,787 11-02-2015, 09:26 PM
Last Post: JudgeMental

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.