Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Next step(s) after getting AHI <5
RE: Next step(s) after getting AHI <5
Quote:Still struggling with mask leakage and fitting (sore on bridge of nose) but think this is typical in adjusting to CPAP.

I thought so too when I first started until I got a huge blister on the bridge of my nose that was so painful that I couldn't wear my mask. After it healed I started using a Quattro Air mask and haven't had any problems with the bridge of my nose since then. I do sometimes have leaks (but not always) that I'm still trying to figure out but at least I can wear my mask. I've only been using an APAP since about October so still trying to figure it all out.
Post Reply Post Reply
I never had any soreness on my nose with my FFM (mirage quattro)
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2016, 12:50 PM)Roy289 Wrote: New APAP user (in third week)

Noticed that many CA'S clustered when transitioning out of and into sleep. My habit was to stay in bed snoozing after waking but now get out of bed when awake. This change alone seems to bring the AHI below 5.

I noticed something when I looked closely at my own sleep patterns. I appear to have a nasty habit of holding my breath when I turn over and that appears to generate a CA.

The other thing I used to do was stay in bed snoozing for another ten minutes. I also found that I could bring the numbers down if I turned off the machine and took off the mask when I awoke to the alarm. I never go back to sleep so I figure no harm, no foul -- and it reduces my total AHI.

Best of luck on your quest.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Changed the pillow insert on the F&P 405 nasal mask from Med to Large and no longer have the mask pressing on bridge of my nose. The Large has slightly larger nose opening so mask isn't resting on bridge of nose as when using the Med pillow.

Last night had AHI 5.5 but this was due to last half hour. I woke at 5:59am and began CSR periodic breathing which lasted for 35 min (until I took mask off) with 31 CA. Cycle was large breath then waning breaths followed by a CA, then repeating, each cycle about 8 breaths. Not sure what to make of this but perhaps it was hyperventilation?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2016, 07:40 AM)Roy289 Wrote: Changed the pillow insert on the F&P 405 nasal mask from Med to Large and no longer have the mask pressing on bridge of my nose. The Large has slightly larger nose opening so mask isn't resting on bridge of nose as when using the Med pillow.

Last night had AHI 5.5 but this was due to last half hour. I woke at 5:59am and began CSR periodic breathing which lasted for 35 min (until I took mask off) with 31 CA. Cycle was large breath then waning breaths followed by a CA, then repeating, each cycle about 8 breaths. Not sure what to make of this but perhaps it was hyperventilation?

Roy289,
Post a screenshot of the following graphs: events, flow rate, pressure, leak.
Include the detailed stats to the left of graphs. Eliminate calendar if necessary to fit everything in.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
here is snapshot of CSR with CA

[Image: screenshot-20160429-103816.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2016, 01:22 AM)srlevine1 Wrote: I noticed something when I looked closely at my own sleep patterns. I appear to have a nasty habit of holding my breath when I turn over and that appears to generate a CA.

Do you really hold your breath for over 10 seconds when you roll over? If not then you are not scoring CAs when you roll over. I initially thought the same thing but did some testing and decided that was not a problem for me.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2016, 10:09 AM)PaytonA Wrote:
(04-29-2016, 01:22 AM)srlevine1 Wrote: I noticed something when I looked closely at my own sleep patterns. I appear to have a nasty habit of holding my breath when I turn over and that appears to generate a CA.

Do you really hold your breath for over 10 seconds when you roll over? If not then you are not scoring CAs when you roll over. I initially thought the same thing but did some testing and decided that was not a problem for me.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

On a totally unrelated question - if you held your breath while awake would it show up as a CA? On a ResMed machine and/or on SH?
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
If you held your breath fro over 10 seconds while awake and masked up, it will show up as an apnea. Whether it shows up as a CA or an OA depends on how you held your breath. The machine does not know whether you are asleep or awke and merrily records whether you are breathing or not regardless. This commentary presumes that you are not in the middle of ramp.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2016, 09:53 AM)Roy289 Wrote: here is snapshot of CSR with CA

[attachment=2422]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Next step after getting my study results. Soccoia 3 602 11-22-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Forum has helped...but now next step to improve nightgagger 62 5,687 01-05-2022, 05:21 AM
Last Post: Ratchick
  Next step? permabear 11 1,453 10-16-2021, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  5.0 to 0.1 & 0.0 in one step! Sleep2Snore 3 1,461 09-11-2019, 05:45 AM
Last Post: Sheepish
  Help, one step forward, two steps back sleepless badger 8 1,656 07-28-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: sleepless badger
  Still tired, next step DRUGS! oldfart59 10 3,089 09-29-2017, 02:41 PM
Last Post: chill
  A step in the right direction, I hope.... DonC 3 1,787 11-02-2015, 09:26 PM
Last Post: JudgeMental

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.