Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nicotine: a different approach to treatment of obstructive sleep apnea.
After searching for many hours and reading more and more about the benefits of Nicotine, I found my answer. Big Grin

Reduced upper airway muscle activity may contribute to the occurrence of obstructive apneas during sleep. There is no uniformly successful treatment of these apneas, and it is possible that agents which increase upper airway muscle activity could reduce the occurrence of obstruction during sleep. Nicotine, a known stimulant of breathing, also increases the activity of muscles which dilate the upper airway proportionally more than it does ventilation. Hence, we evaluated the effect of nicotine on apneas during the first two hours of sleep in eight patients with sleep apnea syndrome. It was concluded that nicotine reduces apneas during the early hours of sleep, and this effect may be caused by its stimulating action on upper airway muscles.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3965253
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nicotine: a different approach to treatment of obstructive sleep apnea.
Am trying to find a way to attach a cigarette to the intake port on my cpap. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Duct tape!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2012, 10:07 AM)mjbearit Wrote: Duct tape!

Im afraid to say I have done it and I nearly choked to death. I cut a small hole in the filter and stuck a lit ciggy in it.

On a more serious note, Im now going to my docs to see if there is a safe way to get nicotine. If not Im going for lifelong patches to see if these will keep me awake.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are really looking for something to stay awake, ask the doc for modafinil...
Post Reply Post Reply
http://journal.publications.chestnet.org...id=1057069

I can not get the pdf link working to read the full article

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2012, 05:51 PM)zonk Wrote: http://journal.publications.chestnet.org...id=1057069

I can not get the pdf link working to read the full article

Sorry it doesnt seem to be working as I have also tried and failed Thinking-about

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2012, 01:50 PM)Dreamcatcher Wrote:
(08-05-2012, 10:07 AM)mjbearit Wrote: Duct tape!

Im afraid to say I have done it and I nearly choked to death. I cut a small hole in the filter and stuck a lit ciggy in it.

Have not been here long enough to discern whether you are joking or not, there is a little port on the side of my mask (looks like a nipple)... but a cig does NOT fit in it.. I had considered breaking out the dremel and making some modifications to it. I would think it might be wise to turn off the pressure while mask smoking though.

On a more serious note, not that I indulge (anymore), this machine may have the potential to be turned into a supercharged AND FILTERED bong by designing some ductwork that would seal to the back of machine and to the mouth of a 3 foot waterbong. I do not condone illegal practices, but some people self medicate for other conditions and this may make the machine a dual purpose treatment option. On second thought... don't read this, I'm writing up my patent request for when that particular medicine is made legal.

This reply, I suppose, is possibly to test whether the warning level thing is really active or not. Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 61 03-27-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 249 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 357 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 618 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 296 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 131 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.