Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Night 1...
Night 1...
Picked up my CPAP yesterday (s9 elite/H5i/Mirage FX nasal mask) and got it set up with no problems. Dr. has me at a 12 pressure.

Seemed to fall asleep without too many issues, took a little longer than normal, but I'm sure that will be better once I get used to the mask. I did wake up a couple times in the night, once I was ready to just tear the mask off and throw it against the wall, but I decided it was better to get up, take it off for a few minutes to get a drink and then try again. I changed the humidifier temperature (I think I woke up because I felt too hot, so I cooled it down) and then slept sound the rest of the night.

This morning I checked my stats and my AHI is 0.87, with a mask leak of 34. I know that the AHI is great, but not sure how to interpret the mask leak factor. The machine gave me a smiley face for mask fit, so I assume it is ok?

Hopefully after a few nights with the mask I will be able to sleep through the night like a champ.

One question...

Tomorrow I leave for a vacation to Disney. We are flying, and I am planning on taking the S9 with me. What issues have you had with airlines. Does the travel bag count as a carry on, or will I be able to bring it in addition to my normal carry on/personal item?

Thanks

Darin
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Night 1...
Welcome

Sounds like you are doing well, Darin.

I think there are some veteran travelers here that can advise on the airline issues.

Cheers!

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dc-ohio,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Sounds like you did fairly well for the first night, CPAP therapy can take some getting used to.
Hope you have a nice trip.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck,
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello and welcome :-)

When you got up to get a drink did you shut your machine off or leaving it running. If left running that could account for the leak. Shut it off and restart when ever you remove your mask

I've not raveled with mine yet but someone will be along to advise :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely carry the CPAP onboard. It does not count toward your carry-on baggage limit.

Hopefully others can chime in with advice. In the meantime, here's a somewhat helpful article:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._with_CPAP

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-06-2013, 10:18 AM)MsDixie Wrote: Hello and welcome :-)

When you got up to get a drink did you shut your machine off or leaving it running. If left running that could account for the leak. Shut it off and restart when ever you remove your mask

I've not raveled with mine yet but someone will be along to advise :-)

I did turn the machine off. I probably pulled the mask off first though, but it wasn't running for more than a few seconds with the mask off
Post Reply Post Reply
In regards to airlines: the CPAP bag does not count toward your carry on limit. And do carry it on! Don't trust the luggage monkeys with it. However, if the CPAP is put in with other things (like a suitcase), it DOES count toward your carry on bag limit. I don't think that a book in the CPAP bag would be wrong, but probably a change of clothes would be (as if there's that much room!).

Some online suppliers sell these luggage tag things that explain what the device is. I suggest you get one of those for the bag. They're relatively cheap.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Pulling the mask off while the machine is still running can skew some of the leak statistics. I find it best to look at the leak graph on Sleepy Head or ResScan, that way I can see what the leak levels are when it is important - while I'm asleep.

Have fun on the trip!

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-06-2013, 08:06 AM)dc-ohio Wrote: This morning I checked my stats and my AHI is 0.87, with a mask leak of 34. I know that the AHI is great, but not sure how to interpret the mask leak factor. The machine gave me a smiley face for mask fit, so I assume it is ok?
Smiley face shows up when 70% percentile leak is less than 24 L/min

The LCD display 95% percentile leak, leak was at or below that number for 95% of the time using the machine

It could be few seconds or few minutes at 34 L/min, the software shows median, maximum leak
Detailed data leak graph shows leak rate during the night
ResScan leak graph shows a red line at 24 l/min, above the red line something like 30 l/min and the machine cannot analyze the data correctly
In your case, could be pulling the mask off or/and maybe some mouth leaks (Chinstrap can help keep mouth closed and minimize mouth leaks)
Post Reply Post Reply
This was the first day in a long time where I haven't taken a 5pm nap...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 849 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 897 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,109 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] AHI varies from night to night KKBW 6 1,340 07-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much oasised 22 3,233 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Here is my data from 3rd night and Friday night slingshot383 16 2,252 05-25-2020, 05:35 AM
Last Post: slingshot383
Question One night AHI 0, next night leaks and high AHI. MyronH 7 2,201 09-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.