Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Night #2
Night #2
Now I'm starting to get frustrated. I got no sleep last night (night two) with the actual mask on. I'd put it on and just lay there... I think I need a smaller mask. My thing is smaller means nasal only and I'm a mouth breather so I don't know that would work. Is there something in between? I'm currently using the Amara View. I'd post my data but it's almost all comprised of data while I'm awake, not sleeping... so I domt think it would be much help. My leakage is very very low so that part is good... if I could just fall asleep with this thing attached to my face at the same time all would be good. Any tips?  Btw, turning turn air temp down to about 62 Andrew the humidity down to about 1 or 2 makes the air much more tolerable for me. But it's not the air causing the problem, it's having this mask strapped to my face.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Night #2
Do you think it might help wearing your mask when not trying to sleep. I was lucky and didn't take much notice to the mask.
Try wearing it watching tv or reading and see if that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
It does take time to get used to wearing a mask while sleeping. I take a 10 mg controlled release  Melatonin tablet on nights I have a hard time sleeping. The outer layer dissolves quickly while the inner layer dissolves slowly. Meltomin is a natural sleep aid. Most pharmacies and big box retailers have it with the vitamin/supplements.

Using your machine while watching tv is a good way to get more accustomed to it.

Hang in there. Some people adapt quickly to cpap treatment. For most people, however, it takes time to get used to using the equipment. The key seems to be a determination you will succeed, a commitment to using the machine every time you lay down and a willingness to keep trying new things until you find what works for you.

If you decide to use a nasal interface, the ResMed P10 is a very popular nasal pillow mask. It is my primary mask. It is a minimal contact nasal pillow mask that is easy to adjust.

Some members use a soft cervical collar to control mouth leaks while others use chinstraps. I started using a ruby style chin strap to control mouth breathing. Just recently I added a soft cervical collar for positional events and found it helps with mouth breathing as well.

In order to help others better help you it is usually better to keep all posts related to a problem in one thread. It makes it easier for members to follow your progress.

Best regards,
Mitch
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I considered myself a mouth breather because I snored like a buzzsaw. I mentioned it to my DME guy, and after making sure I was able to breathe through my nose he suggested I try the respironics dreamwear (nasal) mask. I'm glad I took his advice. The dreamwear is comfortable and unobtrusive compared to other masks, and my snoring is gone - no mouth breathing issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try wearing the mask while reading or wathing tv. That is what helped me get used to it. It took a little bit of time to get used to it. But kjow ist second nature to put it on at nite or if taking a nap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I had been, per my DMEs suggestion, wearing the mask while watching tv for an hour each day. I'm starting to notice it getting better now. Not good, but improving for sure. It also helped that I significantly reduced my ramp time. While I'm not sleeping with it on an entire night, I am making compliance with at least 4 hrs each night. Now I just have to figure out how to not make the stubble on my face get irritated when the mask is on. My facial hair grows quick, so even daily shaving probably wouldn't cut it. I figure I'll give it a full week at least to see how things are and if after a week I feel kinda stuck being uncomfortable, then I will exchange through my DME and try a different mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may want to try a pillow type mask. They don't cause a problem with facial hair and most people who don't like a mask covering their nose and mouth feel more comfortable.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 849 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 895 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,109 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] AHI varies from night to night KKBW 6 1,340 07-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much oasised 22 3,233 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Here is my data from 3rd night and Friday night slingshot383 16 2,252 05-25-2020, 05:35 AM
Last Post: slingshot383
Question One night AHI 0, next night leaks and high AHI. MyronH 7 2,201 09-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.