Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Night One on CPAP
Night One on CPAP
Overview: I seem to sleep pretty sound and always have. I do remember having to adjust my nasal pillows a few times to prevent leaks. About 3 hours into the night I must have knocked the pillows completely away from my nose because I was being hosed with a loud gush of air and my wife nudged me as I was waking up from the air. It must have been loud enough to wake her

I woke up this morning to a red frowny face for a leak icon

MyAir on Resmed gave a score of 70%
Usage hrs 6:26 64/70
Adj Mask Seal 2/20
10.6 events per hr. 3/5
4 Mask on/off 1/5

I imported my data to SleepyHead but I feel I will need a college course before I can understand the stats and graphs. Smile

I have a sense that the Airfit10 straps are not tight enough and they have no adjustment. I discussed that in the suppliers office yesterday and she just told me to wash it in hot water every week.

Finally: My biggest symptoms of my apnea are sleepy during the day and waking briefly at night oppressively, painfully tired. When I did rouse awake last night I do not recall that horrible, tired, feeling over my whole body so that might be improvement. Time will tell.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Night One on CPAP
Welcome to the forum Tiercel! Sounds like you're off to a good start. Your mask being the P10's is very common with users on here. I don't think the strap needs to be tight. But wondering if you separated the two parts of the strap at the back of your head to slightly tighten it?
Don't expect to feel completely better all of a sudden. It takes time and is different for everyone.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Cate,

I did mess around with strap positioning (separating the two straps and different positions on my head). Nothing made it feel as secure as I imagined it should feel. That was coupled with the fact that I had to adjust the nasal pillows through the night due to escaping air.

The supplier said they get a lot of complaints about these straps not being tight enough or stretching out and Resmed just says wash in hot water every week, and it will tighten them up just like washing a pair of jeans.

It seems impractical to think one strap can fit every head size. I use the medium pillows which seems right. I was happy to realize I don't seem to need a chin strap. My wife tells me I used to snore with my mouth open, but I think I breathed through my nose all night
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Tiercel,

Welcome to the Apnea Board.
I found that I was unable to use nasal pillows because I knocked them loose frequently. I use a nasal mask instead. You might want to contact your DME supplier or your Sleep Doc to see if they can do a mask fitting. Mask issues are the most common problem we have.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
If your head is a bit smaller, there is another strap you can order. It's the P10 For Her and its about 1" shorter. Sure made a difference for me when I used it compared to the regular. Also here's a link you might read and try and follow the instructions:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...GUARANTEED
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Tiercel
I use a chin strap over the mask straps. It helps with leaks but the best part it helps keep the mask in place too.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Great post!

My head is a bit small in hat size. I might try those shorter straps you mention but will not make any major decisions based on one night. I might be able to reposition the straps slightly and even program my subconscious mind to be a little more gentle with the nasal rig as I sleep.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.
Post Reply Post Reply
Straps closer together at the crown of the head is tighter, spread apart is looser. Good luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Tiercel,
I know CPAP therapy can take some getting used to but just hang in there, it does get better.
The mask is the hardest part of this whole thing, so you might have to try several of them 'till you find one that works well for you.
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Night two with some slight improvement over the first night.

9.3 Events per hour

I still have mask leak issues but maybe slightly improved.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,066 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 841 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  First night on CPAP. OSCAR feedback? brainfoggysleeper 7 321 02-24-2024, 08:44 PM
Last Post: brainfoggysleeper
  New CPAP user - Longest night I've been able to keep it on bopbop 4 388 01-31-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bopbop
  new CPAP user night 12 .......runny nose Barbara Williams 0 332 11-11-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Barbara Williams
  [CPAP] Preparing for first night with CPAP (help required) applebee 2 421 10-28-2023, 11:20 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Night Guard use with CPAP brettski99 3 615 10-14-2023, 09:52 AM
Last Post: jstro84

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.