Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Night Watch vs Resmed Auto
RE: Night Watch vs Resmed Auto
Jim, I'll just chime in with a note about my own experience. In the summer of 2003 I had a sleep test which showed mild apneas on my side and worse on my back. I discussed this with the sleep doctor, saying I never sleep on my back. So he gave the advice about tennis ball. About seven years later, I'm falling asleep at work so badly I decided to take early retirement - having forgotten all about the sleep test seven years earlier. A further five years and I'm complaining to every doctor I see that I'm tired all the time, and finally a new resident says 'There's a sleep lab across the street, and I can write a referral'. Four weeks later I have an AirSense 10 Autoset, and I haven't looked back.
Sleep apnea doesn't go away or get better. Save yourself the years of sleepy misery, and possible associated side effects. Jump in and learn to track your own progress and tailor the settings for your own best therapy. It's not hard, and we are here to help you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Going back to the original though about the "Night Watch", it seems like some kind of medieval torture device.  To be shocked when you roll onto your back would be very disruptive to sleep and seems to defeat the purpose of resolving sleep apena to reduce sleep disruptions.  The objective of therapy is obviously to keep someone breathing and avoid the physical stress of apnea and hypopnea, but it is also to prevent the arousals that come with respiratory events.  So whatever solution we choose, should not be a cause of sleep disruption.

If I was looking for a passive device to prevent positional apnea, my first go-to would be a partial soft cervical collar, like the Dr Dakota Stop Snore or Eliminator Sleep Aid Cushion.  I think there is a huge myth about back-sleeping that the cause of apnea is the tongue slipping into the soft palate and obstructing the airway.  I have become increasing convinced that it is actually the flexion of the neck that obstructs the airway, just as it does if you try sleeping in a sitting position and your jaw drops to your chest.  Try it, you'll see.  The collar prevents that and should make your sleep "position neutral".  

CPAP is an effective way to maintain the soft tissues in your throat and prevent apnea, but increasingly, we have recommended using a soft cervical collar in addition to CPAP to prevent positional apnea that can occur, even with CPAP.

Edited to correct reference to Dr Dakota
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider. Is this the Eliminator Sleep Cushion Aid you are referring to?  

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-Qw7LKg/

I couldn't find the "Dr. Watson Stop Snore" could you please provide a link.

With or without a soft cervical collar, I am assuming then that based on my sleep study data I posted, that you agree with my sleep doctor that
 the Resmed Auto is the way to go?

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
Your Amazon link is correct and a violation of Forum rules about posting commercial links...

The other reference should be to "Dr Dakota's Snoring Stop"... sorry about that
Post Reply Post Reply
Pholynk,

Thanks. I didn't realize you cannot post a commercial link, so edited the post.

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,352 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Resmed airsense 10 auto set card to cloud chronic 4 395 02-02-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  My resmed s9 escape auto does not save date and time. jocemar 2 280 12-30-2023, 11:03 PM
Last Post: jocemar
  Resmed s9 VPAP auto issue steven7685 0 315 11-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: steven7685
  Meaning of information on "Sleep Report" Resmed Aircurve Auto fredhaddock 3 484 11-05-2023, 10:39 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Lost Trust in CheckmeMax O2 Watch cmpman1974 1 311 10-05-2023, 01:30 AM
Last Post: Old Mike

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.