Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Night sweats, SpO2 drops, insomnia, low temp 96.7F
RE: Night sweats, SpO2 drops, insomnia, low temp 96.7F
They gave me 3mg melatonin in Hospital, and that is what i tried last night at home. Seemed to work. But I also increased my EPAP to 5.6 which seemed to stabilize the O2 more. 

What I don't understand is how they titrated me on BIPAP. They started CPAP, then BIPAP was started at 14/10 cm H2O and titrated to 16/10.

"The most appropriate setting is 14/10" with AHI/RDI 0, sleep efficiency 98.3%, and SpO2 93%.

Then they recommended BIPAP settings of IPAP Max 16, EPAP 4, PS 4. But then they set it to IPAP Max 14, EPAP 4, PS 4. Why did they not set the Max to 16?

I asked my sleep doctor why they titrated me higher, but set my machine so low. He kept saying, it will auto-adjust, and that I don't need to be at the higher settings all night long. But during the sleep study, they kept me at that higher setting and i slept great. Anyway, when I first got my BIPAP home, EPAP 4, and PS 4 was too low for me. I couldn't stand it. I immediately changed it to EPAP 5, PS 3. Over time I increased EPAP 5.2.

I still think the starting EPAP 5.2 is a little low, because when the machine auto adjusts down to 5.2, is when my O2 tends to drop. Although occasionally I've had O2 drop even at some higher pressure.

I may need to increase EPAP to 5.6+ to try for awhile, or decrease the PS to 2 or less.

[attachment=6113]
[attachment=6114]
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning Myron,

Pressure support (PS) is the difference between ipap and epap. If you set your PS too low, you are damping the BiPap aspect...almost making your machine function like a cpap. So I don't understand why you keep decreasing PS.

Regarding epap...having it set too low can make you feel like you aren't getting enough air. So I really don't like this idea of setting epap at 4 (lowest possible setting). Mine is set to 8 and is comfortable and effective for me.

I just don't believe that a .2 cm increase in epap is even significant. I never do fractional adjustments. Try 6 or 7 and see how that does. Hopefully someone with a better understanding of your machine will chime in.

And I don't think a Neurologist visit would be a waste of time. The perceived low respiratory drive concerns me. There are subtle neuromuscular conditions that could cause this, and if nothing else, the visit will reassure you. If you could find a Neurologist with familiarity in sleep disorders...all the better
JD
Post Reply Post Reply
Myron, I'd ask your physician to do a thyroid panel. Several of the symptoms point to your possibly being hypothyroid.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
Thyroid normal. My hematologist is running additional blood work next week
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2018, 04:58 PM)MyronH Wrote: Thyroid normal. My hematologist is running additional blood work next week

Blood cell count ok?

I get night sweats and at times but then I saw to many Haematologists for 7 months one year.
Still trying to get over some of the side effects and that was 4 years ago!
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bad Insomnia r4robin 5 217 03-25-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 397 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy
Question [Treatment] Treatment Emergent Central Apnea or Insomnia -- which is it? mallar 1 299 03-02-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: mallar
  Help on analysing SpO2 drops a21900 9 829 03-02-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Per Laursen
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 681 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 230 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,061 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.